Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Lets blame one man who lives in Carryduff and has coached in Down for many many years for the fact that the Antrim players who have decided to commit lack the basic skills of the game ( I include work rate in that) to enable them to play to the level that the fans expect them to.  :-\

Shit coaching and lack of drive within clubs/gaa communities up and down the county is where these problems stem from. Some honesty please. We are a county of complete bluffers.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

Quote from: theskull1 on April 10, 2013, 04:49:45 PM
Lets blame one man who lives in Carryduff and has coached in Down for many many years for the fact that the Antrim players who have decided to commit lack the basic skills of the game ( I include work rate in that) to enable them to play to the level that the fans expect them to.  :-\

Shit coaching and lack of drive within clubs/gaa communities up and down the county is where these problems stem from. Some honesty please. We are a county of complete bluffers.

Spot on, its a long held tradition in Antrim, both codes, when things arent going well for the players to start putting "whispers" out that he has "lost the dressing room", a word with a favourite journalist etc. We have all seen it over and over again.

None of them have the self awareness or balls to maybe take a look in the mirror at what they are doing.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

To be clearer....shit coaching happens when too few adults decide to do their bit and leave an interested few to struggle. Same applies to administration. Those who pay lip service are full of opinions that suit their lifestyle
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

According to twitter Tony Scullion has left the panel. :(

glens abu

Quote from: theskull1 on April 10, 2013, 10:38:44 PM
To be clearer....shit coaching happens when too few adults decide to do their bit and leave an interested few to struggle. Same applies to administration. Those who pay lip service are full of opinions that suit their lifestyle

Same applies to most things in life and its those who do most of the complaining who contribute nothing.

Corkey22

Although CAP just posted on Twitter that the rumours are false and he hasn't walked..

imtommygunn

If it's not true then where did the bbc concoct those quotes from??

Mess.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 11, 2013, 07:36:32 PM

Mess.

No big loss really, he runs all day and tries his heart out but limited footballer in my opinion, wins ball and runs with it down the wing and usually gives it away
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2013, 07:41:19 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 11, 2013, 07:36:32 PM

Mess.

No big loss really, he runs all day and tries his heart out but limited footballer in my opinion, wins ball and runs with it down the wing and usually gives it away

He's a big loss with what we have at our disposal. He's one of very few who can actually break a tackle. Looks like bs anyway so neither here nor there.

bannside

Its obvious there are issues which have to be sorted out. This starts with a willingness to do so - so if both parties really want the players to be on the pitch against Monaghan, then they will find a way of resolving this. Looks like a monumental break down in communication.

Tomas was coming into great form, and personally I thought Tony Scullion had a great year for us last year. His long runs were welcome, he was breaking tackles, and his passes were mostly long diagonal balls which were well placed. He has still more to offer at 30, so hopefully we haven't seen the last of him.

And if he isn't for returning, then I don't think it should be open season for every digital whizzkid to run him down, especially after the service he has given. Best to wait for a few days to see how this settles.

On his best known form Mick is a huge loss too. As a county we simply need them all in and around the squad, providing leadership and experience and most of all - doing what they do best!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2013, 08:11:21 PM
Its obvious there are issues which have to be sorted out. This starts with a willingness to do so - so if both parties really want the players to be on the pitch against Monaghan, then they will find a way of resolving this. Looks like a monumental break down in communication.

Tomas was coming into great form, and personally I thought Tony Scullion had a great year for us last year. His long runs were welcome, he was breaking tackles, and his passes were mostly long diagonal balls which were well placed. He has still more to offer at 30, so hopefully we haven't seen the last of him.

And if he isn't for returning, then I don't think it should be open season for every digital whizzkid to run him down, especially after the service he has given. Best to wait for a few days to see how this settles.

On his best known form Mick is a huge loss too. As a county we simply need them all in and around the squad, providing leadership and experience and most of all - doing what they do best!

I do see the talent in both Mick and Tomas brilliant players for club and county, but never really got that from Tony, ran down blind alleys too much for me. Not knocking his commitment over the years for Antrim, it's a hard thankless task but for a player in that position nowadays they need to be of the Loughery type/fold
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Agree totally about Locky MR2. He was probably the best half back we have ever produced. Unfortunately every number 7 for the next decade will be compared to him.

On a more positive note I was in Cookstown last night to see our minors pull off their second win on the trot. A decent enough performance too. Good to see a few victories at this level, as I really feared the worst after the mauling they got from Tyrone in the first match.

Would expect a few of these lads to make the step in in a few years. Two Mallon`s from St Teresas looking the part, and two Rauiri`s (Scott and McCann) shaping up nicely as well.

Gold

Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2013, 08:32:32 PM
Agree totally about Locky MR2. He was probably the best half back we have ever produced. Unfortunately every number 7 for the next decade will be compared to him.

On a more positive note I was in Cookstown last night to see our minors pull off their second win on the trot. A decent enough performance too. Good to see a few victories at this level, as I really feared the worst after the mauling they got from Tyrone in the first match.

Would expect a few of these lads to make the step in in a few years. Two Mallon`s from St Teresas looking the part, and two Rauiri`s (Scott and McCann) shaping up nicely as well.

Who have we beaten?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on April 11, 2013, 09:23:44 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2013, 08:32:32 PM

Who have we beaten?

Derry and Fermanagh