Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

optimus cheese

AQMP

There's a chance both us and Sligo could go down.  Points difference with Wicklow is now just +7

AQMP

Sligo now leading.  Monaghan 10 up.  Looks like we're bucked.

AQMP

Monaghan 3-16 Antrim 0-13 FT.  What will they do to us in the Championship??

otbar

Poor poor result yesterday.  9 weeks to get things back on track - need to address issues asap and move on.

Simon Says

The last few weeks have been a test for every antrim fan, the performances have been so bad its nearly unbelievable. Rosscommon was bad, meath there was no heart or fight. The game yesterday was horrendous, hearing whispers before the game that dawson had left out tomas mc cann and tony scullion due to them going to their anniversary mass? This is terrible management from dawson and he needs a reality check with that sort of arrogance, im sure the morale was low after the previous games, yesterday was a farce. From making the ulster final in 09, back to back promotions, beating galway last year. All that has been undone with returning to the basement, if we don't get things sorted we could be on the end of a terrible hiding come championship in casement. Only for some last ditch defending and some great saves from the goalkeeper we could have been beat by 20-30 points!!!

Northern Light

Manballandall,

A brief history lesson about your club men, and their assistance to the County . Having been promoted from Div 4 with limited help from your Club, your colleagues were engaged in their All-Ireland Year. Antrim won the first 5 of the Div 3 games, again without their assistance. Antrim were beaten in the Midlands (was there but can't recall the game). Your lads (after a break) returned to the County fold. We luckily won against a very understrength Louth (with the Gall's men) and were 'tanked' in Wexford (with the Gall's men), being the last two games.  Antrim were destroyed by Sligo in Croke Park, despite the fact that the 'other' Antrim team had beaten them during the league. Not surprisingly, a number of the 'team' that had got us promotion from Div 4, and had won the first 5 matches in Div 3, but had been 'dumped' in favour of the Gall's men, 'walked'! Not a great builder of team spirit! The Gall's 'Antrim team' played in Div 2, winning only one game (I believe) and gradually, as the season went on, and the defeats mounted, they suffered a lot of' injuries', 'holidays' and then 'retirements'. The remaining Gall's men (and indeed others) had a lot of holiday commitments last year, so weren't able to play all the league games, and had a few problems with getting to C'ship games. Baker learned that Gall's are a great club side, but they don't have the mental attitude to be Inter-County Footballers. Unfortunately he discovered it too late, and that legacy remains. The Gall's men remaining in the team this year are 'sound' and like the other players deserve a manager who knows about football. They don't deserve suggestions of this nature.

Jeepers Creepers

Was it something he said......

manballandall

Apologies northern right, sorry light. You're right sure they doing great now without galls men. And since you are so intelligent and well educated re read my post, I never once mentioned about any of my club men should be on the county team. What I did say that was there were people on the county team that I wouldn't, I reiterate for you, I wouldn't pick on my club team. I stand by that statement as it is my opinion. I also went on to say that this was neither the players nor managers fault and it was just the hand we were currently dealt. I see you hasten to mention the many galls men who served our county well without any success. Of course there is the exceptions and I would suggest we could come up with a few names who maybe didn't do themselves or the county justice but were they alone and I would aso suggest that the majority of the galls players who served our county did so with pride and heart and owe our county nothing. Not a fan of my club then. Sorry about that :). Oh one last point. When st galls players returned to the county was it also their fault that players were dropped?. Laughable really. Wind yer neck in.

Simon Says

My worst fears have been confirmed  :-[ back page of todays irish news.

glens abu

Quote from: Simon Says on April 09, 2013, 08:55:38 AM
My worst fears have been confirmed  :-[ back page of todays irish news.

What is it with these Antrim players and egos,its not that them have any great reason to have them.Nightmare, the sad part is Dawson has not a lot to replace them with but he should stand his ground and tell them all to feck off, join McGourty in the Rock bar and shite talk about how great they could have been.

DennistheMenace

I take it someone has left the panel?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Northern Light on April 08, 2013, 06:01:15 PM
Manballandall,

A brief history lesson about your club men, and their assistance to the County . Having been promoted from Div 4 with limited help from your Club, your colleagues were engaged in their All-Ireland Year. Antrim won the first 5 of the Div 3 games, again without their assistance. Antrim were beaten in the Midlands (was there but can't recall the game). Your lads (after a break) returned to the County fold. We luckily won against a very understrength Louth (with the Gall's men) and were 'tanked' in Wexford (with the Gall's men), being the last two games.  Antrim were destroyed by Sligo in Croke Park, despite the fact that the 'other' Antrim team had beaten them during the league. Not surprisingly, a number of the 'team' that had got us promotion from Div 4, and had won the first 5 matches in Div 3, but had been 'dumped' in favour of the Gall's men, 'walked'! Not a great builder of team spirit! The Gall's 'Antrim team' played in Div 2, winning only one game (I believe) and gradually, as the season went on, and the defeats mounted, they suffered a lot of' injuries', 'holidays' and then 'retirements'. The remaining Gall's men (and indeed others) had a lot of holiday commitments last year, so weren't able to play all the league games, and had a few problems with getting to C'ship games. Baker learned that Gall's are a great club side, but they don't have the mental attitude to be Inter-County Footballers. Unfortunately he discovered it too late, and that legacy remains. The Gall's men remaining in the team this year are 'sound' and like the other players deserve a manager who knows about football. They don't deserve suggestions of this nature.

Are you slimshady in disguise?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Who or what is on the back page of the irish news??

Northern Light that is a pathetically petty post. You sound like the kind of boy who'd take pleasure out of your own county getting relegated - gives you a chance to spout shite like this.

Simon Says

Glens its a bit harsh on mc gourty we could do with him and his brother at the minute if were honest, and to be honest i agree with the players in this situation, what was wrong with tomas and tony meeting the team at the four seasons?
Northern Light thats a bit much and an attack on st galls, the exact same thing happens in armagh with crossmaglen and the county team. It wasnt their fault they had success with their club and baker recognised that they are the best players in antrim and put them back into the team.
The bottom line is, we are in a bad state of affairs at the minute and if tomas, tony and michael arent going to be available then we need to try and get the best out of the players we have or try hard to get some of these st galls players back on board.