Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Well, no matter how many began their GAA experiences elsewhere, they're a special group of players now, probably the best in Antrim's history. Add to that, their hurling achievements this year make it a phenomenal club altogether. It's a big pity they didn't win the  All-Ireland Intermediate hurling title a year or two ago. I think that beating in the final had a bearing on their development in terms of belief, something the footballing side don't lack.

And they're not finished yet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Where did Terry O'Neill play as a youngster?

gallsman

Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2011, 09:48:31 PM
Some craic here.

One thing I have to note, Horsie McKillop is an obscure one to pick, gallsman. Simon McCrory would have been the more obvious choice of that particular Johnnies generation.

Also, was Burkey not Michells?

You're right, he was Mitchells, not McD's. Think his dad was a Mitchells man.

I was in primary school with Horsey and know/knew him pretty well, hence the selection. Can remember playing against Simon for the Johnnies at least as far back as U14 I think. Where did he come from and at what age?

Mark Devlin (and possibly his little brother?) joined Rossa from St. Teresa's.

Minder

Didn't Mickey Wing join Rossa from Sarsfields?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bhoy1888

just after wittnesing the fix of the year i wonder how much aghogill paid st galls tonight to prevent them being sent into div 2 and for st galls to score 1 point in the second half tells its own story.it hasnt been the first time that they got a favour and prob wont be the last hold your heads down in shame

Milltown Row2

It is a pity they didn't win the All Ireland, and if you had have seen the game you'd have realised we were hammered by a great team from Kilkenny. Would be foolish to say it had a bearing on their self belief as they bounced back with beating Dunloy two years later.

I'm still sick that the lads didn't beat Cushendall and reach the clubs first ever senior county final. Great bunch of lads who deserve that crack at a senior hurling final.

Burkey's dad is a Mitchells man and Burkey as i have said played under 12 right through with St Galls, Terry's dad is a McDermotts again he also played from under 12.

This is silly altogether, we could name the Graham's from Cushendun who went to Rossa the new players at O'Dees St Johns were famous for it Sarsfields do it there's not a club that hasn't done it. Thing is we are winning Ulster titles and an All Ireland. So you'll get the few jealous people coming on sniping and having a snide remark about it, means nothing

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bhoy1888 on October 05, 2011, 09:57:45 PM
just after wittnesing the fix of the year i wonder how much aghogill paid st galls tonight to prevent them being sent into div 2 and for st galls to score 1 point in the second half tells its own story.it hasnt been the first time that they got a favour and prob wont be the last hold your heads down in shame

I take it your club didn't do enough throughout the year to stay safe?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 10:01:26 PM
This is silly altogether, we could name the Graham's from Cushendun who went to Rossa the new players at O'Dees St Johns were famous for it Sarsfields do it there's not a club that hasn't done it. Thing is we are winning Ulster titles and an All Ireland. So you'll get the few jealous people coming on sniping and having a snide remark about it, means nothing

That's what I'm trying to highlight  :)

If you look at the starting 15 from the county final, the "outsiders" - the two Fermanagh Gallaghers and Pollock could be more than ably deputised by Chris Kerr and two McGourtys. St. Galls' success is not down to "poaching", "stealing" or "trawling".

gallsman

Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2011, 10:00:37 PM
Simon McCrory joined St. Johns from St. Endas (as a star) at u16. He was a steal.

Did he move for the hurling? Simon was the same age group as me - Enda's offered nothing for a hurler (which is obviously Simon's preference) and offered nothing for a footballer until about U16 when suddenly they were one of the only teams who could get near us when they had a few county players - Niall Devine, Gerard...Crossey?

gallsman

Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2011, 10:13:18 PM
Btw, Mark Devlin started at Rossa.

Did he start there, move and then move back? He definitely played up the Glen Road for a few years.

ONeill

It is a pity they didn't win the All Ireland, and if you had have seen the game you'd have realised we were hammered by a great team from Kilkenny. Would be foolish to say it had a bearing on their self belief as they bounced back with beating Dunloy two years later.

You're probably correct as I wasn't there. I've followed their fortunes since that and I think they won only one match in the senior grade, were relegated and didn't cut the mustard in the Intermediate this year. They were probably flying that year.

gallsman

Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2011, 10:18:16 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 05, 2011, 10:15:25 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2011, 10:13:18 PM
Btw, Mark Devlin started at Rossa.

Did he start there, move and then move back? He definitely played up the Glen Road for a few years.
Aye. His James never left.

I was thinking of Matt, who was possibly the best of them?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2011, 10:17:55 PM

You're probably correct as I wasn't there. I've followed their fortunes since that and I think they won only one match in the senior grade, were relegated and didn't cut the mustard in the Intermediate this year. They were probably flying that year.

As I'm sure you are aware, they were beaten last week in the semi finals, in their first year in senior they (of course you know this about the Kilkenny hurling) they play in groups. They had James Stephens who got to the final that year and this year and were only beat by a point in that group match, they also ran the other senior teams close in that group, but if you don't win the play off games you get relegated.

The standard as you already know cause you have an interest in Kilkenny hurling and in particular St. Lachtain's is of a higher standard that Antrim hurling, also they only play hurling as you'd know that also so your point is what?

Gold

Did Ahoghill win?!

f**k me harsh on Moneyglass--had Galls a full team out?

Hard to choose between Ahoghill and M'Glass--both good on their day but someway off top of league--some turn around though Ahoghill looked buried a while back
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 10:27:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2011, 10:17:55 PM

As I'm sure you are aware, they were beaten last week in the semi finals, in their first year in senior they (of course you know this about the Kilkenny hurling) they play in groups. They had James Stephens who got to the final that year and this year and were only beat by a point in that group match, they also ran the other senior teams close in that group, but if you don't win the play off games you get relegated.

The standard as you already know cause you have an interest in Kilkenny hurling and in particular St. Lachtain's is of a higher standard that Antrim hurling, also they only play hurling as you'd know that also so your point is what?

Agree with everything you said. Galls were just unlucky to come up against that team. In previous years a London team and a Westmeath team won that competition.