You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: general_lee on January 24, 2019, 09:29:24 PM
Belfast and the north in general doesn't have the infrastructure to properly utilise public transport. The trains are full. The gliders are full. The cycle lanes are pathetic and not much incentive for a car dependent city. And yet the roads into and out of Belfast are still like a car park at rush hour. I know people who commute to Belfast and at peak times aren't always guaranteed to have room to get onto the train never mind get a seat or standing room

All trains from 4:00 to about 7:00 are jam packed, I haven't got a seat on the train in about 18 months. The Motorways are jam packed too and i take your word for it that the buses are too so what do we do...basically the infrastructure is not adequate for the people working and living in Belfast...

Whats the solution? Until them pricks at Stormont get back to work (get Brexit sorted out first) then this must be seriously considered as the volumes travelling in and out of Belfast have increased year on year and is showing no signs of slowing down. The existing infrastructure was probably grand for 10 - 15 years ago but something needs done ASAP...

There is not the population nor the billions it would cost for a Metro (under ground) so Motorways need additional lanes, instead of trains every 20 mins during peak times then every 10 or 15 mins and put 6 carriages on the trains instead of 3. Increase buses too...I dunno just a few options...

Could we do something like the Luas in Dublin that could serve out to the outskirts of the city to Park & Rides (which more needs building) or even as far out as Lisburn? Something needs done and a bit of forward planning from someone a lot smarter than me.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

haranguerer

The glider is brand new - thats the project they saw as being fit to lead us into the next 20 years. Its a bus on new bus routes.  :-[

johnnycool

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 24, 2019, 07:39:37 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 23, 2019, 10:17:20 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2019, 09:05:35 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on January 22, 2019, 08:36:52 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 22, 2019, 08:11:40 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on January 15, 2019, 10:09:42 AM
'Accidents' on the Westlink.

People who use the Applegreen Stations to bypass traffic.
I have to say they really need to introduce motorway driving onto the driving test, how f**king hard is it to leave your phone be and keep a safe distance from the car in front without driving into the back of some ****. And then we have everyone nosey **** slowing down to have a look after they stand outside their cars with their two arms at one length blocking a carriage way instead of at least moving onto the hard shoulder. Right enough like motorways are the roads that require the least "driving" yet there were at least three collisions on the M1 today  >:(

Oh, I hear ya!

It's really frustrating.  Can't get over the amount of accidents on the M1/Westlink.  Unless the damage is serious, just move your fcuken car out of the road!  Then their are the idiots who constantly weave in and out of lanes.

I've a simpler solution.

Tax corporate parking at £10k pa, make the leasing of private housing parking spaces illegal, plus during the working week set a sliding scale whereby parking for more than 4 hours in one car park costs at least £50, and set a minimum fine of £200 for anyone who uses the same off-street parking zone twice in one day.

Then watch while everyone leaves their car at home.

And get to work how?
Bus for the people that find it convenient. Train for the people that find it convenient. Bike for the people that find it convenient. Leaves more road space for the people that absolutely have to take cars. Cars take up too much room per person, it's entirely appropriate that there should be disincentives for single-occupancy vehicles.

You know how Belfast is set up infrastructure wise?

If you don't work in the city centre or along one of the main arterial routes you're stuffed irrespective of the well intentioned platitudes.

Eamonnca1

People bringing breakfast into a morning meeting. Get up a few minutes earlier and crunch your granola in your own kitchen. I don't want to hear it in a meeting.

Dolph1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 11, 2019, 06:03:58 PM
People bringing breakfast into a morning meeting. Get up a few minutes earlier and crunch your granola in your own kitchen. I don't want to hear it in a meeting.

Granola - LOL. How tragic.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

trailer

BarryBreensBandage

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/26/terrified-warm-weather-global-warming-london

This. The hottest February on recording, in Ireland, was in 1891. Did they start worrying like the cod who wrote this piece? Did they fook.
They all went up to monto
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

RedHand88

Quote from: johnnycool on January 25, 2019, 09:47:17 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 24, 2019, 07:39:37 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 23, 2019, 10:17:20 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2019, 09:05:35 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on January 22, 2019, 08:36:52 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 22, 2019, 08:11:40 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on January 15, 2019, 10:09:42 AM
'Accidents' on the Westlink.

People who use the Applegreen Stations to bypass traffic.
I have to say they really need to introduce motorway driving onto the driving test, how f**king hard is it to leave your phone be and keep a safe distance from the car in front without driving into the back of some ****. And then we have everyone nosey **** slowing down to have a look after they stand outside their cars with their two arms at one length blocking a carriage way instead of at least moving onto the hard shoulder. Right enough like motorways are the roads that require the least "driving" yet there were at least three collisions on the M1 today  >:(

Oh, I hear ya!

It's really frustrating.  Can't get over the amount of accidents on the M1/Westlink.  Unless the damage is serious, just move your fcuken car out of the road!  Then their are the idiots who constantly weave in and out of lanes.

I've a simpler solution.

Tax corporate parking at £10k pa, make the leasing of private housing parking spaces illegal, plus during the working week set a sliding scale whereby parking for more than 4 hours in one car park costs at least £50, and set a minimum fine of £200 for anyone who uses the same off-street parking zone twice in one day.

Then watch while everyone leaves their car at home.

And get to work how?
Bus for the people that find it convenient. Train for the people that find it convenient. Bike for the people that find it convenient. Leaves more road space for the people that absolutely have to take cars. Cars take up too much room per person, it's entirely appropriate that there should be disincentives for single-occupancy vehicles.

You know how Belfast is set up infrastructure wise?

If you don't work in the city centre or along one of the main arterial routes you're stuffed irrespective of the well intentioned platitudes.

This is the problem. Belfasts bus routes and times are abysmal. Glider is only the start of what's needed here.

Dolph1

I can't stand complaints about "sledging"

Anyone who steps on a sports field that can't take the jibes should not play sports. Its part of the game. If anything it should make you want to win even more. Nothing but crybabies nowadays.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

LooseCannon

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 28, 2019, 05:44:46 PM
I can't stand complaints about "sledging"

Anyone who steps on a sports field that can't take the jibes should not play sports. Its part of the game. If anything it should make you want to win even more. Nothing but crybabies nowadays.
People can take jibes. It's making fun of people who are deceased that annoys people, etc

Orior

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 06, 2007, 10:39:09 PM
A fella did that on me where he parked next in the queue and then went and paid so I reversed into the carwash and then got out an went and paid.  When I came out again I put the toekn in and sat on the wall reading the paper until it was finished then jumped into the car as if I hadnt seen him.

So, no consideration for others. Your mammy must be proud.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

J70

Quote from: Orior on February 28, 2019, 06:55:01 PM
A fella did that on me where he parked next in the queue and then went and paid so I reversed into the carwash and then got out an went and paid.  When I came out again I put the toekn in and sat on the wall reading the paper until it was finished then jumped into the car as if I hadnt seen him.

Maybe he's grown up in the past twelve years.  :P  ;D

Although, judging by his Liverpool thread contributions... :)

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Orior on February 28, 2019, 06:55:01 PM

did you just use a post from 12 years ago to have a cheap dig?!

That's enough internet for today!  ;D
Hasta la victoria siempre

laoislad

Cars breaking red lights.
I've noticed it getting steadily worse of the past few years but I saw 4 cars break a red light this morning that was already red a few seconds before the first car broke it.
I have often got a green light only to have to stop to avoid hitting a car that has broke the red coming from the other side.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

general_lee

Hate people who don't use the pump furthest away. Some gimp sat waiting on a car leaving the forecourt. So I waited behind thinking he'd take the one furthest as it was also empty. But no the dodo just went for the nearest one and there wasn't any room to pass. I end up looking like a dick as there was a wee queue developing into fiveways having to manoeuvre into the pump on the other side and stretch the hose over my car Which I don't like doing. Such bad petrol station etiquette