Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

He has had groin trouble for a while. Lyng could be option to come into the team. TInnelly has playing well in the half forward line for the juniors. Enda Reilly or Paul O Connor decent options to replace Dunne, Keating got alot of critism after the league final because he was a more physical then Martin Dunne, that had nothing to do with Dunne missing straight forward scores in front of the posts.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 24, 2014, 09:32:40 AM
Keating got alot of critism after the league final because he was a more physical then Martin Dunne, that had nothing to do with Dunne missing straight forward scores in front of the posts.

Keating got criticised for being physical?

rodney trotter

For being a ball winner and not converting his chances,  whereas Dunne is a lighter build and not as physical so was exempt from critism even though he missed as much as Keating

hear there is a few knocks ahead of the game at the weekend.  Challenge game against Louth last Saturday got a bit physical

Westside

Keating can win ball but constantly shows that he can't lay off the ball, go past a man, or shoot with the degree of consistency needed at this level for a team playing in the manner we do. Keating has been around quite a while now, he's as good as we have for the moment but is he good enough to be one of the main men in an Ulster challenging side? I don't think so. Personally I think Dunne could be, he's a much smarter footballer and only has played one championship season. He's never going to be the player that you can lump in any sort of ball to and expect him to win possession but he's a much more reliable shooter than Keating.

rodney trotter

Keating scored 5pts off Neil McGee in the Championship 2012 so he can do it in the championship he was only coming back from a hamstring injury befoe the League final.  He was playing excellent earlier in the year in the Mckenna Cup, got an Ulster All star last year like Dunne.  I have more faith in him doing it against the better teams then Martin Dunne.  Both players have their faults hopefully they prove us wrong.
Dunne obviously suspended so he can't prove the doubters wrong this weekend...

Itchy

Leinster junior champions tonight with 1.11 to 1.7 win against Longford. Well done to the lads. Anyone at it that can give me an update on it.

rodney trotter

1 Conor Gilsenan
2 Jason Mac Laughlin
3 Rory Dunne
4 Alan Clarke
5 Joshua Hayes
6 James McEnroe
7 Robert Maloney-Derham
8 Damien O Reilly
9 Gearoid McKiernan
10 Michael Argue
11 Michael Lyng
12 Niall McDermott
13 Jack Brady
14 David Givney
15 Martin Reilly

tierworker blue

The team was named today (link below)
It'll be the twitter feed for me Because of the delay in confirming the match time, like a lot of other folk, I had to say yes to other plans. Given that they knew about the fixture quite a while ago, it's poor form that they waited so long to arrange it...I know a good few folk who won't make it. It'll be the 1st Champo match that I've missed in about 20 years!

Hyland's management team have made four changes from the side that took the field in the Athletic Grounds. In comes Joshua Hayes who impressed at corner back throughout the Allianz NFL along with Cavan Gaels club men Robert Maloney-Derham and the experienced Michael Lyng. Michael Argue who made his senior debut in last years qualifier also gets the nod having impressed throughout the U-21 campaign. Making way are Feargal Flanagan, Dara McVeety, Killian Brady and Eugene Keating.

Cavan line out as follows:

1 Conor Gilsenan Conchur Mac Giolla Seanáin Seamróga Choill an Chollaigh 2 Jason Mac Laughlin Jason Mac Lochlainn Gaeil Na Sionnáine 3 Rory Dunne Ruarí Ó Duinn Cnoc Rua 4 Alan Clarke Alún Ó Cleirigh Dún-A-Rí 5 Joshua Hayes Joshua Ó hAodha An Muinchille 6 James McEnroe Seamus Mac Conrua Reamor Aontainthe 7 Robert Maloney-Derham Roibeard Ó Maolomhnaighh/Deirm Gael An Cabhán 8 Damien O Reilly Damien Ó Raghallaigh Béal Tairbirt 9 Gearoid McKiernan Gearóid MacTiarnann Muilleann Iarann 10 Michael Argue Michael Ó hÉarga Seamróga Choill an Chollaigh 11 Michael Lyng Michael Ó Loinn Gael An Cabhán 12 Niall McDermott Niall Mac Dhiarmada Béal Átha na nEach 13 Jack Brady Sean Mac Bradaigh Reamor Aontainthe 14 David Givney Dáithí Ó Dhuibhne Ciceam Bailemunna 15 Martin Reilly Mairtín Ó Raghallaigh Coill na Gearraí

All Ireland Qualifier (AIQ) Cavan V Westmeath Saturday 28th June, Kingspan Breffni Park at 3pm.

Westside

How do people think we will line out? Givney inside presumably (and unfortunately) but who along with him?

Cavan go to play Warwickshire in the All Ireland Junior Semi Final. Something tells me Terry might see a chance for an All Ireland final appearance and hesitate in putting in the likes of Moynagh, O'Connor or Enda Reilly in at Senior level and rob them of the chance.

Itchy

I presume Hayes will be corner back. Clarke sweeper. The rest is obvious except for the Full Forward line. Can't see Jack or Martin Reilly playing inside. I think there will be a change there. Maybe Paul o Connor for Jack? Lyng wasn't even only the named panel last week so hard to see where his inclusion is coming from. Argue should have started against Armagh so no issue there. Big call dropping Keating, he's been poor but so has Givney.

rodney trotter

Lyng was the obvios player to replace Mackey. Played last week against Louth last week in Juniors , didn't play this week against Longford so was a sign he was in contention to start. Not many other play maker type players on the Cavan panel

mrdeeds

Lyng the obvious choice to replace Mackey???? Not a chance. Speed long gone. Was way out of his depth in junior game last week against Louth.

Blue in hope

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Official Cavan GAA Thread
« Reply #13888 on: Today at 12:33:45 AM »
Lyng the obvious choice to replace Mackey???? Not a chance. Speed long gone. Was way out of his depth in junior game last week against Louth.

Disagree with you Lyng may not be as fast as he use to but he is one of the best playmakers in the county knows how to pass a ball into the full forward line. HE was excellent against Limerick in the NFL  scoring four points from play and he ran the show.

rodney trotter

His speed is long gone becuase of the serious injuries he had, still a very good play maker and not many players with his vision in the County.

mrdeeds

I agree good playmaker but was the problem against Armagh not being able to break the tackle? Against Louth in juniors he didn't want the ball and hand passed it as soon as he got it usually backwards. Can get away at club level not being mobile but not at county.