Down v Derry 1994

Started by Mourne Rover, March 27, 2007, 12:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Max that was in the Athletic Grounds, wasn't it?  Ross Carr hit that monster kick from the stand side to draw that game i recall.  Burns point that day was sublime to the extreme

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on March 28, 2007, 01:12:32 PM
Lynchboy Derry beat Down in a real sunny day in fully packed casement in 92, Burns did not play. We we national league champs after disposing of a Plunket Donaghey inspired :D Tyron and Down were All Ireland champs, another super game with an electricic atmosphere. Burns played in the drawn game against Down in 91 when he hit that outrageous score, the ref gave a free that was not a free to Down to draw the match, which they subsequently won and then went on to make history. The ref in question was that hateful hoor Greenan

The referee in the Derry Down game at Casement Park who sent off Peter Withnell in controversial circumstances was none other than that hateful hoor Greenan.  Dry your eyes boy.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Maximus Marillius

Thats right BC1 it was in the Athletic grounds.... SS2 Greenan is exactly that and more...my experince since the 80s until now helps me to my conclusion ;D

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on March 28, 2007, 01:38:38 PM
Thats right BC1 it was in the Athletic grounds.... SS2 Greenan is exactly that and more...my experince since the 80s until now helps me to my conclusion ;D
I would be broadly in agreement with your comments about Greenan, although I feel you do not go far enough.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

realredhandfan

A good game - yip, greatest of all time - Nope.  greatest of its era...  Certainly.  We'll all be glued to our seats except the Galwegians glued to their loo seats.  Its not a night for the women or kids Im afraid.  Hot dogs and insults - Ulster football at its finest.  lets follow up next wek with Tyrone V Armagh semi final 05 - a compare and contrast would be interesting

tbrick18

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 28, 2007, 12:49:54 PM
I have no problem supporting the Tyronies tbrick.

I know they have some bad elements within their support - but maybe if we had enough of a following , we'd have some bad ones too

RRBF - I'd keep it quiet about the draperstown thing...
Just keep shaving between yer toes and say nothing...

Here now whats wrong with draperstown? It's where I once hailed from and one day hope to return!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 28, 2007, 03:51:48 PM

I know they have some bad elements within their support - but maybe if we had enough of a following , we'd have some bad ones too

Here now whats wrong with draperstown? It's where I once hailed from and one day hope to return!
its got a good cattle mart !  :)

tbrick18

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 28, 2007, 04:10:16 PM

And what about the Sheep Sales? And Burns' Sale?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 28, 2007, 04:13:47 PM

Sorry but I cannot continue to 'big up' Draperstown !
Its not exactly a big GAA place is it !
:D

tbrick18

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 28, 2007, 04:32:41 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on March 28, 2007, 04:13:47 PM

Sorry but I cannot continue to 'big up' Draperstown !
Its not exactly a big GAA place is it !
:D

Now now no call for that! We have about 300 club members I'll have you know!
We have some of the most impressive underage teams of recent times in all codes, hurling, football, camogie and ladies football.
We even beat the mighty tones in the minor football final a year or two ago.
Our senior hurlers and footballers are a bit disappointing mind you....but sure you cant be good at everything  ;D

screenexile

Right I have to bite now even though I know LB is doing this to wind me up!

It's Ballinascreen! When talking about GAA it's Ballinascreen, the locals call it Ballinascreen, calling it Draperstown is akin to calling this thread the Down v Londonderry thread.

Well LB do you want some of my left over toe hair for your head ;)

As for the game I don't remember too much of it to be honest. I was under the scoreboard so got a good view of yer man's goal which was a cracker in fairness. In all honesty I seem to draw a blank from that era when I think of all our big defeats... 91 v Down, 92 v Donegal and the '94 against Down, even though I was at them all. Thank God I wasn't at the '95 Tyrone game otherwise I think my brain might have turned to mush.

Lookin' forward to watching this game tonight. It was on Setanta when I was down in Dublin but I was living with some English hoor who when I explained the importance  of this game "Being the greatest in its era" he turned the feckin TV over to some Animal Planet shite! I'll definitely not miss it this time.

realredhandfan

but I was living with some English hoor
Did she pay the rent in kind? ;)

TORGAEL

Best game of its era without a doubt......greatest game of football i was ever at !

Bogball XV

I never remembered that the only reason Down took All Ireland's was because of a bad kick out from McCusker!!

haze

makes you lament the day when the first round of the championship was played as if lives were dependent on it... what a game