world cup cricket in croker??

Started by lawnseed 2, March 13, 2007, 11:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed 2

i note that ireland has a team in the cricket world cup. with all the talk about anthems over the last 4or 5 weeks does anyone know what national anthem "our" team have played before they play i just wondering if they will be looking for croker anytime soon. well  its based on the gaelic game rounders they might as well get in there as well :D

dublinfella

Quote from: lawnseed 2 on March 13, 2007, 11:31:43 PM
i note that ireland has a team in the cricket world cup. with all the talk about anthems over the last 4or 5 weeks does anyone know what national anthem "our" team have played before they play i just wondering if they will be looking for croker anytime soon. well  its based on the gaelic game rounders they might as well get in there as well :D

considering the pitch is much bigger, unless they pull a Thomas Davis and demand parts of CP be demolished to accomodate, hard to see it happening  ;).

GalwayBayBoy

I don't think the cricket team have any official anthem although I did hear they might be using Ireland's Call.

Gabriel_Hurl

We'll find out on Thursday vs Zimbabwe

never kickt a ball

Got this off a google. Don't know what won though:

The Irish cricket team competing at the World Cup in Jamaica in March will have a theme song to rival rugby's 'Ireland's Call', and it's been inspired by the biggest cricketing community in the country - Fingal.
This week sees the launch of a competition to come up with the perfect Irish cricket team anthem, and songwriters and performers have until Friday February 23, to get their entries in.
The winner will walk away for a cheque for a 1000 Euro courtesy of Seamus Murphy/Murphy Environmental.
"The World Cup is something totally new for Irish cricket, and it was felt by many that we needed an anthem to mark the occasion, and we'll be singing the winning song in Jamaica, " stated the man behind the project, local councillor David O' Connor.
The process is relatively simple. Singers and songwriters, (who can get somebody else to perform their song if they so wish), must get their entry on cassette or CD to Hubert Murphy in the Fingal Independent, 4 Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin, on or before February 23 at noon. The song must be their original work, and they should supply contact details.
Once all the entries are in, a panel of judges will decide on a shortlist for a gala night to be held at the Irish Cricket school of excellence, In Balrothery on Wednesday February 28.
Entrants must be available to perform their song on the night.
"The whole cricketing thing is gaining momentum by the day with the World Cup advancing, and we expect a good entry for this competition. Naturally the song won't be too long, and the chorus will be the key to the whole thing," Dave explains.
"This idea is coming from the grass roots of Irish cricket, and we think the players will love the idea too."
The 500 strong army of fans will depart for the West Indies on March 10, all armed with the words of a new song.

never kickt a ball

LOCAL cricketer Martin Byrne from The Hills wrote and performed the winning song in the Irish World Cup song contest, which took place at the Balrothery centre.
He bowled the judges over and walked off with the E1,000 first prize, sponsored by Seamus Murphy and Murphy Environmental with his rendition of C'mon Ireland!
But he had very stiff opposition for the award, with entries flowing in to the Fingal Independent offices from places such as London, Kerry and Mayo.
After a shortlist was finalised, the five lucky contenders were invited to the Balrothery centre last Wednesday to perform in front of a live audience.
The chairman of the judging panel, Hubert Murphy, editor of the Fingal Independent, David O'Connor, President of North County and Arthur Vincent from the Irish Cricket Union, were given a difficult task in selecting the winner, such was the talent on view.
Martin Byrne, a member of The Hills Cricket Club, was first up on stage. Paul Kelly and his backing group, that included singers who got well into the spirit of things and even brought a shark along, was next up with his delightful 'Slow boat to Jamaica.'
Colm Reilly and Peter Baxter from Balbriggan combined to deliver 'Ireland in the Green' while Norman Wylie travelled all the way from Westport with his 'Bowl the World Over.'The final performers on the night were the brothers from Firhouse, Kevin and Phelim Warren with 'Ireland Hit 'em Hard.'

And here it is:

A new Irish anthem will be aired at Sabina, thanks to former Hills cricketer Martin Byrne. The contest organised by the Fingal Independent had a huge entry but Byrne emerged from the final five with 'C'mon Ireland'. Songsheets and CDs of the tunes will be distributed to fans heading to the Caribbean. The winning song begins:

"You can talk about Italia and Euro '88. With the oval ball in Croke Park the future's looking great. Now we're on a new adventure and things are on the up. We are going to Jamaica for the cricket world cup. C'mon Ireland c'mon Ireland. We're going to bring the world cup back and win or lose we're going to have the craic." My own favourite chant is the old advert for bread adopted for Adi's Army. Altogether now: "Johnston, Mooneys and O'Briens..."

Aw FFS "With the oval ball in Croke Park the future's looking great" Let the protests begin......... :o

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES/articles/000040/004012.shtml

muppet

Amazingly the headbangers ( and thread police ) have stayed away from this thread.

Michael Cusack ( remember him? ) wanted the National game of his fellow Gaels to be Cricket. Imagine how things would be now if Croke and co ( Davitt? ) hadn't talked him into promoting hurling and gaelic football instead.

5 reasons why the Gaa should have played cricket:

* If the Championship was 5 day test cricket we would not work at all in the summer;
* Rugby or soccer would not have been played in Croker in case it damaged the crease;
* I would give anything to hear Micheál commentating on cricket;
* Training would have been less painful;
* We would have sorted out another Boycott;
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

We'd never have finished the championship in this country, because they have to stop every time a drop of rain falls. Also, any sport that's regulated by tea breaks misses something fundamental about the essence and passion of sport.

Billys Boots

QuoteAlso, any sport that's regulated by tea breaks

It could be the official sport of SIPTU.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenexile

That sounds like a very strange song to me, I was sure that the cricketers would use Ireland's Call as well. I was in Barcelona a few years ago with the woman who was a hockey player and we decided to call into the hockey World Cup to see how Ireland were doing. To my amazement the team stood to the Ireland's call anthem. Anyone know why this is? I thouht it was only for the peanut huggers. I suppose if the anthem was brought in to recognise a 32 county team then it may as well be used for the cricketers and hockey players.

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on March 14, 2007, 08:56:25 AM
We'd never have finished the championship in this country, because they have to stop every time a drop of rain falls. Also, any sport that's regulated by tea breaks misses something fundamental about the essence and passion of sport.
tis many the GAA team who've had a cuppa at half-time over the years! Not sure how that negatively impacts on the essence or passion of sport...

fearglasmor

Jayz, Martin "Curley" Byrne finds national fame at last. The man has been a legend at manys a clubhouse, bar and after hours party in Nth Fingal for years now.
Next stop Youre a Star. He'll be bowled over to find himself featured on gaaboard.com  The same Martin was an excellent midfielder with Man O'War  when they were at their peak in the late 70's / early 80's

Go on The Hills.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: dublinfella on March 13, 2007, 11:47:01 PM

considering the pitch is much bigger, unless they pull a Thomas Davis and demand parts of CP be demolished to accomodate, hard to see it happening  ;).

you're pulling facts out of your arse there

dublinfella

Quote from: muppet on March 14, 2007, 04:35:53 AM
Amazingly the headbangers have stayed away from this thread.

not for long....

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 14, 2007, 03:17:06 PM

you're pulling facts out of your arse there

sigh. which 'facts' exactly? that a cricket pitch is bigger or thomas davis want a soccer ground altered for their use?

dubnut

Jesus you hate Thomas Davis Dublinfella!
let it go