Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

That looks interesting BM. Cheers.

lurganblue

Quote from: ballinaman on October 29, 2020, 09:22:19 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on October 29, 2020, 08:57:59 AM
Still having a right bit of calf problems.  Foam rolled the life outta them.  Stretching and even been doing the hopping.  All that is fine.  Went for a bit of a run jog combo two days ago as a bit of tester, like a couch to 5k setup.  Any distance at all jogging and I started to feel it.

I am thinking of giving the compression socks/sleeves a go to see if they help at all.  Anyone else use these? Or would that be a waste of time?

Foam rolling makes no impact and zero evidence behind it...perception changes/ placebo more than
anything...akin to rubbing your knee after you whack it on a table , different stimulus to the skin and tissue.

Two common causes of calf pain can be capacity or lack there of as Tommy discussed above ...6 times your body weight in terms of force goes through calf complex while running...capacity and ability to tolerate these forces is key....but this would present later into a run in terms of fatigue ...

If the awareness is instant and you can't recall an acute injury , can be neurally driven pain into the calf. YouTube "slump flosser exercise " and you'll find video as to do this exercise ...

Thanks for this. I never had any calf issues during my football years, or even through a right few years road running.  It wasn't until lockdown that I pulled it doing a 5k and aggravated it a few weeks later again.  Now I just cant seem to shake it.  I will have a look at the recommended youtube videos and get the hip stretching done.

ballinaman

Quote from: lurganblue on October 29, 2020, 09:57:30 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 29, 2020, 09:22:19 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on October 29, 2020, 08:57:59 AM
Still having a right bit of calf problems.  Foam rolled the life outta them.  Stretching and even been doing the hopping.  All that is fine.  Went for a bit of a run jog combo two days ago as a bit of tester, like a couch to 5k setup.  Any distance at all jogging and I started to feel it.

I am thinking of giving the compression socks/sleeves a go to see if they help at all.  Anyone else use these? Or would that be a waste of time?

Foam rolling makes no impact and zero evidence behind it...perception changes/ placebo more than
anything...akin to rubbing your knee after you whack it on a table , different stimulus to the skin and tissue.

Two common causes of calf pain can be capacity or lack there of as Tommy discussed above ...6 times your body weight in terms of force goes through calf complex while running...capacity and ability to tolerate these forces is key....but this would present later into a run in terms of fatigue ...

If the awareness is instant and you can't recall an acute injury , can be neurally driven pain into the calf. YouTube "slump flosser exercise " and you'll find video as to do this exercise ...

Thanks for this. I never had any calf issues during my football years, or even through a right few years road running.  It wasn't until lockdown that I pulled it doing a 5k and aggravated it a few weeks later again.  Now I just cant seem to shake it.  I will have a look at the recommended youtube videos and get the hip stretching done.
Ok, potentially a residual capacity deficit so if there was a definite pull and then a re aggravation a few weeks later...

Need to load the calf up to be able to tolerate running ...body weight calf raises are ok to start with but need to add weight to replicate running demands ...

Seated calf raises with heavy weight on knee is a good exercise that can be done at home ...lob a heavy back pack or anything heavy on knees if going double or single raises
YouTube "seated calf raise" or seated soleus raise " . Go heavy x 6-8 reps x 3 sets x 3 per week. Ie, max weight you can lift for 6-8 reps before you need to tap out.

The above + the neural flosser as per previous post and you've both most common bases covered.

Gradual return to running key though , the doing is the fixing in running injuries...you have to expose body to the job gradually , all the gym work and exercises in the world won't fully replicate running ..so as always , a balance to be struck !

lurganblue

Thanks BM.  A great help as always

Verticalball

Long time no posting folks, but just at a loose end these days, wondering how others are finding lockdown / partial lockdown these days regarding running?

Motivation is up and down with me these days - my big aim (and has been for a while) is to run a half marathon under 1hr 50 and I completed the virtual GNR in under 1hr 51 a few weeks back.

Any tips for how to get going again? Would love an event of some sort but just feeling a bit flat.

laoislad

Having no races is a balls alright. Hopefully next year things start getting back to normal.

I'm not bothered about these Virtual races, don't see the point in them. Even having Park Run back would be great.
How about setting yourself a goal like to run a certain amount of milage in a month or a run streak goal? Mini goals like that can help.
I set myself a small goal at the moment to run everyday in November for example. Its not difficult really but small goals like that keep me motivated to get out the door.

I did a bit of trail running/hiking during the summer also around the Wicklow mountains and loved it, was nice to change it up a bit.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: Verticalball on November 07, 2020, 12:16:38 AM
Long time no posting folks, but just at a loose end these days, wondering how others are finding lockdown / partial lockdown these days regarding running?

Motivation is up and down with me these days - my big aim (and has been for a while) is to run a half marathon under 1hr 50 and I completed the virtual GNR in under 1hr 51 a few weeks back.

Any tips for how to get going again? Would love an event of some sort but just feeling a bit flat.
Great running, you'll hit your target soon. Pick a route and a day with decent weather and you'll take 1.50.

You'd definitely miss races, extra bit of bite and intensity when you've a number pinned to you alright . Times and races are great but just getting out the door and training is a good buzz too, I remind myself  how much I'd miss it if couldn't do it and thankful that I can.

I said in March when lockdown started I'd try for a PB in 5k on a track in July , so put the head down for a few months and worked for that. Did a a solo time trial.

Did 50 consecutive days in a row training just finishing last Sunday. Longest streak I've ever did , glad to break it Monday though ..it was becoming a bit of a dose having to squeeze runs in on busy days.

Pick a personal goal or something you haven't done before and that'll keep motivation ticking over.

Races were getting out of hand, 10 a penny last few year. Might be a good thing in the long term , quality over quantity.

Verticalball

Thanks for the advice folks, a new goal like focusing on the 5k time sounds like a plan. Definitely agree about the virtual races, found GNR very underwhelming to be honest. Might have to build up to 50 consecutive days, that's some going Ballinaman!

imtommygunn

Not quite just running but I see the first ever Down syndrome person completed an Ironman going. Some going.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 08, 2020, 12:59:21 PM
Not quite just running but I see the first ever Down syndrome person completed an Ironman going. Some going.

Seen that..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 08, 2020, 12:59:21 PM
Absolutely fantastic achievement by him, had a few tears in my eyes watching the video of him finishing.
Society puts limits on guys like him, its fantastic to see what he and others like him might be able to achieve when they are given the chance.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3513785315311024&id=417155091640744
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Recommended physio's in Belfast areas?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Targetman

Check out The Physio Group, on Ormeau Road, I've been with their Newry physios

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 01:20:40 PM
Physio specifically or sports massage?
Former Tyrone player (All Ireland winner) won  has started a sports massage business if you want to talk football at same time 😁

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on November 16, 2020, 03:07:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 01:20:40 PM
Physio specifically or sports massage?
Former Tyrone player (All Ireland winner) won  has started a sports massage business if you want to talk football at same time 😁

That's it, I think I've injured something which is probably affecting something else!! So a general overview on it, haven't ran properly for a month..