2014/2015 Premier League.

Started by EC Unique, June 27, 2014, 10:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'd go along with a lot of yours O'Neill.

Liverpool are a much better team for having Brendan Rogers in charge, but without Suarez in their line-up, teams won't go to Anfield shitting bricks like they did last year. Man for man they've not got an advantage on United, Spurs or Everton, but have a thinner squad than the first two, and those three don't have Champions League performances to worry about. Sterling could be a very interesting player this year, while Sturridge needs a full coming of age. 6th could be about right.

I'm not enamoured with City this year. As mentioned above, despite their apparent squad depth, they were only a hamstring string strain for Toure away from an abject failure of a season last year. With little change from last year, we'll find out soon if Pellgrini was knitting together a team, or just stumbled across despite the money. I'm really hoping the latter. The likes of Kompany, Silva and Negredo might have been over-feted in the past. 3rd at best.

Man United are a team of two halves. In one half you've got Rooney, RVP and Mata, meaning 90+ team goals over the season is a possibility if they play attacking football. In the other half are the rest, who either wouldn't have the talent or consistency to nail down a starting place in any title challenging team. Their biggest problem is that everyone knows this, and LVG can "master tactician" all he wants, but even the likes of Sunderland and West Ham will have hopes for a point or two against United this season, so much of their mental advantage is gone. I reckon this will be another year of transition for United, and if they get a CL spot, it'll be because Liverpool, Everton and Spurs all fall apart, not because they earn it. 5th at best.

Everton have the potential to be dark horses and get into a CL spot. They've a first XI that's capable of delivering it anyway and in Barkley and Lukaku have two players surely on the rise. But Martinez was rather fortunate with injuries last year - he had a central spine of 11 players who all made over 30 appearances. Europa League football might give him the opportunity to blood squad players and youth players to augment this core, but in all likelihood, like most Europa League teams, he'll need to drag half his first team to the arse end of nowhere 4-5 times, each of them a momentum killer. 4th at best.

Spurs could be an interesting one this season. Last year was one of turmoil, with a couple of unpopular managers, a string of long term absentees/injuries to their spine - Walker, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Sandro, Erikson, Adebayor, and a number of high costs signings who didn't bed in - Lamela, Soldado, Chadli, Holtby, Capoue. They got roundly spanked by the top 4 clubs anytime they met them. But Spurs still accumulated 69 points by swatting off the lower clubs with remarkable ease all season long, showing a bit of grit within the squad, and if any team should know the Europa League by now, it's Spurs. So if new man Pochettino can find a way to reduce the onfield gap between Spurs and last year's top 4, and if the likes of Lamela, Adebayor and Soldado show up, Spurs might just sneak unnoticed into 4th (at best).

The title will, I reckon, be between Chelsea and Arsenal.

While on the face of it Chelsea have managed to build a staggeringly deep squad, I think they'll still have enough issues at centre half (when Terry is injured) and especially up front, where Drogba will scare some days, do nothing the others, Torres will continue to be a fraud, and Costa is one of the riskiest signings of the summer. But between the genius of Fabregas and Hazard being set upon a defensive shape, they will destroy any number of opponents this season.

Arsenal, while playing a nicer brand of football than the Blues, have similar issues in terms of balance. Once past the first XI, they're a bit light up front and at the back, but in midfield - especially attacking midfield - have all manner of options. It'll be interesting to see who gets jettisoned and who gets the hump when Sanchez, Walcott, Ozil, Cazorla, Ox, Wilshire, Ramsey and Podolski are all available. But either way, Arsenal should have a ream of game changers to take off the bench should they be needed.

Top 7:
Arsenal
Chelsea
City
Spurs
Everton
Man Utd
Liverpool

Relegated:
Villa
West Ham
Southampton

ONeill

The thing about Arsenal will be has Wenger addressed the absolute capitulations of last year. That's a tactics issue. If he remains stubborn, Chelsea and City will spank them again.

Forgot about Spurs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

I think Liverpool will have a rocky start until the new signings find their feet, and Rodgers can adapt his game to try to overcome Suarez. People forget that Liverpool started last season very well without Suarez as well, so I think the main impact will be all the new players coming in, and not having Suarez' goals as well. A cumulative effect if you like. After they settle, it depends how much ground Liverpool have lost, but I expect them to be fighting for 4th.

Chelsea I think will win the league, although I'm not convinced by Costa. They do seem nice and quiet in the transfer market.

Arsenal are a decent bet, and I might have a punt on them if the odds are decent. Wenger seems inclined to spend at last, and it will be interesting to see what he can achieve. I think Sanchez will be a great signing for l'Arse.

Citeh are Citeh and will be up there.

United will be interesting again this season. van Gaal knows his onions, but similar to Liverpool I think the new players will need time to bed in, and it will take time for van Gaal's message to get through.

So, I expect Chelsea, City and Arsenal to be fighting for places 1,2 and 3. I think United and Liverpool will be the front runners for 4th place, and Everton and Spurs will push hard as well.

CD

With the acquisition of Fabregas and Silva as well as Matic from January I can't look past Chelsea. They may be a bit weaker at Center Half but the Midfield and Forward options are strong.

Man City are the only team who will be able to challenge them although so far this summer they haven't strengthened. They're going to  be relying on Kompany and Toure to be outstanding again supported in fits and starts by Nasri, Silva and Aguero (if fit). I think Chelsea with Mourinho will be harder to beat and more capable of grinding out results against the top teams.

I think there'll be a gap between these two and Liverpool, Spurs, United and Arsenal.

Arsenal still need a midfielder who will stamp his authority over a match (they've lacked a player in this position for years - Diaby just isn't going to be fit long enough to establish himself there)- Wilshere doesn't look like fulfilling that early potential, Arteta has no legs and the rest are forward thinking players. They still have a weak belly - if they got a hold of a fit Sami Kadhera I'd say they could challenge for the title and I'd revise my top 6 predictions.

Liverpool are the unknown quantity here. The confidence they gained from last season could give momentum to carry them through to Christmas and allow the new recruits to bed in. While they have bought loads of players, they are still weaker than last season - any team who loses a world class player is weakened. If one or two of the new guys fulfill their potential I'd say they could manage top four again - a lot will depend on the back four and their ability to keep clean sheets. Ultimately that was their achilles heal last season.

Man Utd are being touted as potential title contenders again. I think this is way off the mark. That squad will have done extremely well to finish in the top 5. Out of the top 6 teams, I think they have the weakest back four. Chris Smalling is a liability at times and Jones hasn't fulfilled his potential. Their squad in general is weaker than the other top sides. Players like Cleverly, Young, Wellbeck, Nani and Fletcher don't strike fear in the opposition the way they may have when Ferguson was manager. They need half a dozen top players to challenge City and Chelsea.

Spurs have got a very good manager in Pochettino. He may be able to get the best out of the many purchases they made with the Bale money. Like a lot of their contenders, they are weak at the back and are badly in need of a right back who can actually defend and a centre half who can run (not Dawson). Eric Dier looks like a good signing as does Davies from Chelsea. They have at least a dozen midfielders all competing for 4 positions and no stand out starters (maybe Eriksen?)

My predictions -

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
5. Man Utd
6. Spurs
7. Everton

I could be way way off the mark here - Van Gaal could be the messiah Utd fans seem to believe he is, City could self implode as their egos get in the way of their football, Liverpool could run out of momentum, Spurs could get away to a flier, Wenger could get out the cheguebook and sign Kadhera and John Terry might finally get found out. Everton could also go on a run - there's always one surprise team every season!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

1.Chelsea
2.Man City
3.Liverpool
4.Man United
5.Arsenal
6.Everton

Relegated
Aston Villa
Southampton
Burnley
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

nrico2006

Chelsea have the best squad, unreal midfield when you look at all the players they have and the different types of midfielders they have.  Weak up front though but then again they aren't going to concede too much so don't need to be banging in 4 or 5 goals a game.  Liverpool will struggle, United would do well to finish 3rd, unless there are a few new recruits bought between now and the end of the month.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thewobbler

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 07, 2014, 10:23:43 AM
Chelsea have the best squad, unreal midfield when you look at all the players they have and the different types of midfielders they have.  Weak up front though but then again they aren't going to concede too much so don't need to be banging in 4 or 5 goals a game.  Liverpool will struggle, United would do well to finish 3rd, unless there are a few new recruits bought between now and the end of the month.

I don't honestly see how United can finish 3rd (and it takes a leap of faith for 4th).

I've long had a theory (which Liverpool in fairness totally debunked last season) that you can't bridge a massive gap in one season; it has to be done incrementally.

United were a full 18 points off 3rd place last season, and 15 points off 4th. Supporters who expect an 18 point improvement in their team's own performance are nuts, so to catch Liverpool, Chelsea, City, United realistically need those teams to have substantially weaker seasons. I can see that happening somewhat for Liverpool (Suarez had to be worth 10 of those points), but Arsenal will always keep the pace honest at the top.

Captain Obvious

1.Chelsea 2. Manchester city 3. Arsenal 4. Manchester United 5. Liverpool 6.Everton 7. Tottenham

EC Unique

1 Chelsea
2 City
3 Arsenal
4 Utd
5 Everton
6 Liverpool
7 Spurs

Archie Mitchell

Chelsea at a canter.
And between City, Arsenal and Utd in any order for top 4.

AZOffaly

Quote from: EC Unique on August 07, 2014, 11:55:51 AM
1 Chelsea
2 City
3 Arsenal
4 Utd
5 Everton
6 Liverpool
7 Spurs

Yessss!!!!!!

Sidney

This is not going to be our year. We'll just have to make do with winning the Champions League on the 10th anniversary of Istanbul. 2016 will be our year, though.

Arsenal will win the league.

Mourinho to be sacked mid-season. Diego Costa is a donkey.

1. Arsenal
2. Manchester City
3. Manchester United
4. Everton
5. Liverpool (Champions League winners)
6. Tottenham
7. Chelsea

deiseach

Quote from: Sidney on August 07, 2014, 12:32:58 PM
1. Arsenal
2. Manchester City
3. Manchester United
4. Everton
5. Liverpool (Champions League winners)
6. Tottenham
7. Chelsea

County Road on the day this comes true:

Tabloid Tim

1/ Chelsea
2/ City
3/ United
4/Arsenal

18/West Ham
19/ Leicester
20/ Burnley

Over the Bar

On the basis of signings up until today I think Chelsea, City and Arsenal will take the top 3 places in that order although Arsenal could finish 2nd or even win it if they sign Khedira.   

United and Liverpool to slug it out for 4th which I'd fancy Liverpool for if they land Morena and a decent striker and United will need to make at least 3 real quality signings in the next few weeks if they want a look in.   :(