Mayo - Championship 2012 news and views

Started by From the Bunker, May 03, 2012, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Zulu on May 09, 2012, 04:30:39 PM
Alan brogan was poty so there's your 2 forwards. On top of those you had diarmuid Connolly who is a top notch forward on his day and would be mayo's main scorer if he played for them. Dublin's footballing ability is very much underrated and in MDMc they have one of the better midfielders in the country. I agree with Lar, AOS and mcgarrity would be a match for most but Mayo don't have the scoring power upfront to beat the best.

Sorry Zulu agree with you about the brogans but don't agree with you about Diarmuid Connolly and to say he would be Mayo's top scorer is a silly statement and a highy debateable opinion even, especially since Mortimer despite his faults was top scorer in the championship twice I think. Having lived in Dublin for 10 years and have seen Connolly a lot in club football. Despite his undoubted natural ability he's very inconsistent and anyone who watched Mayo club football over the years would have seen the natural scoring ability of Michael Conroy who'd I would put in the same bracket as Connolly but unfortunately he blows hot and cold just like Connolly. I think Cillian O Connor will more than likely step up to the mark with Andy once he's fully fit so we potentially would have two All Ireland quality forwards along with the likes of Conroy , Mortimer , Mcloughin, Dillion and Freeman to provide scoring support on any given day. My main worry in midfield, the balance of the half forward line and the lack of a full forward at the moment rather than having two top quality forwards out of our current pick.

rosnarun

what mayo and dublin have in common is a lot of forward who dont  see their main job as scoring though this year cOnroy mort and o connor are what you would call scoring forwards ie.  not a lot of good doing anything else.  but how many of them will be there come july
i rekon the 6 forward will include dillion Moran Mclochlin  one of the O'ses or harte and probably freeman and theres not too man natural scorers there..
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

If a team plays well they usually get the scores. Dillon got something like 4 or 5 against Dublin in league but couldn t score v Cork a few weeks later. If we get a midfield sorted Andy back at full to give us a shape then I d be confident we d get the opportunities to beat most teams. I believe the best forwards in the country would struggle to make an impact in the Mayo attack when the team is struggling like it did in the second halfs v Cork and against Donegal.

Sam2011

RONAN McGarrity is on the verge of a return to the Mayo senior GAA panel, the Connaught Telegraph has learned.

The Ballina midfielder who has been training hard and playing well for his club has not been part of the Mayo squad since their defeat by Kerry in the All-Ireland semi-final last August.

However, he has been putting in a lot of training since the turn of the year and with impressive club performances over the past number of weeks it is expected he will rejoin the Mayo panel in the near future, if not this week.

Mayo's major problem over the recent national campaign was in centre field where they struggled in most games. With the O'Shea brothers sidelined through injury, this vital area was a cause for much concern. As a result McGarrity's recall will come as no surprise as on his day he is one of the best in the country.

Meanwhile the news on Aidan O'Shea is encouraging as the Breaffy man is making good progress with his injury and could be back in contention for the Connaught semi-final clash against either London or Leitrim in Elvery's McHale Park on Sunday, June 24.

The Breaffy man said he happy with the way his injury was coming on and while he hasn't done any training on the field yet he expects to be back sooner rather than later.

He said: "I am happy with the way things are progressing with my injury. While I am not doing any training on the pitch I am training in the gym.

"However, I expect I will be able to return to full training in the near future and maybe ready for the Connaught semi-final. But I will not rush things as I want the injury to clear up fully."

Absolutely great news that Ronan is on the verge of returning, massive boost for the championship.

RedandGreenSniper

I think you were one of the men who referred to Andy as 'the ever present one' Moysider! But his improvement in the last 18 months has been exceptional. Regardless of potential, the reality is we have forwards who people are comparing with Diarmuid Connolly that might not even make our starting team - Michael Conroy and, I'd add, Conor Mortimer. We're a team who needs to dominate midfield and drive on from deep, moving the ball through the hands at speed. Donie Vaughan, Keith Higgins, Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan can all do this effectively. When we do that, it also frees up a bit of space for forwards to be on the end of moves and the Dublin league game was an example of that, where Conroy and Dillon profitted. We don't have a Bernard Brogan or won't find one in the next few years so we'll have to find another way.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 18, 2012, 09:58:42 AM
I think you were one of the men who referred to Andy as 'the ever present one' Moysider! But his improvement in the last 18 months has been exceptional. Regardless of potential, the reality is we have forwards who people are comparing with Diarmuid Connolly that might not even make our starting team - Michael Conroy and, I'd add, Conor Mortimer. We're a team who needs to dominate midfield and drive on from deep, moving the ball through the hands at speed. Donie Vaughan, Keith Higgins, Colm Boyle and Lee Keegan can all do this effectively. When we do that, it also frees up a bit of space for forwards to be on the end of moves and the Dublin league game was an example of that, where Conroy and Dillon profitted. We don't have a Bernard Brogan or won't find one in the next few years so we'll have to find another way.

I was only paraphrasing SaffronandBlue who called him 'ever-present-Andy' ;D

You know I M not sure Diarmuid Connolly would do any better in our ff line than what we have available. As our league game showed when he is tightly marked and supply is poor he is as ineffective as our own are unfortunately, when the stakes are higher. When he was given the freedom of the pitch in abandoned game of course he ran riot - something our own can do as well when given the space and a tidy service and little pressure. Bernard Brogan is of course an entirely different proposition.

moysider

Hartie straight red in an ill-tempered game v Breaffy.

He ll miss next weeks club championship v Westport anyway. It ll be a month unless he s been sent off within the last 12 months. Which miraculously I don t think he has :-\

Keane

I don't think Mayo's forwards are as bad as all that but they'd certainly be more dangerous as a unit with Andy Moran in the FF line.

seafoid

Quote from: Sam2011 on May 15, 2012, 06:33:24 PM
RONAN McGarrity is on the verge of a return to the Mayo senior GAA panel, the Connaught Telegraph has learned.

The Ballina midfielder who has been training hard and playing well for his club has not been part of the Mayo squad since their defeat by Kerry in the All-Ireland semi-final last August.

However, he has been putting in a lot of training since the turn of the year and with impressive club performances over the past number of weeks it is expected he will rejoin the Mayo panel in the near future, if not this week.

Mayo's major problem over the recent national campaign was in centre field where they struggled in most games. With the O'Shea brothers sidelined through injury, this vital area was a cause for much concern. As a result McGarrity's recall will come as no surprise as on his day he is one of the best in the country.

Meanwhile the news on Aidan O'Shea is encouraging as the Breaffy man is making good progress with his injury and could be back in contention for the Connaught semi-final clash against either London or Leitrim in Elvery's McHale Park on Sunday, June 24.

The Breaffy man said he happy with the way his injury was coming on and while he hasn't done any training on the field yet he expects to be back sooner rather than later.

He said: "I am happy with the way things are progressing with my injury. While I am not doing any training on the pitch I am training in the gym.

"However, I expect I will be able to return to full training in the near future and maybe ready for the Connaught semi-final. But I will not rush things as I want the injury to clear up fully."

Absolutely great news that Ronan is on the verge of returning, massive boost for the championship.

Why do they spell it Connaught? Seonini. 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: seafoid on May 21, 2012, 05:15:49 PM

They newspaper is a historical name throwback, what is inexcusable is the usage to the archaic British spelling in the body of the article. It's Connacht for feck sake.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

seafoid

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 21, 2012, 08:41:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 21, 2012, 05:15:49 PM

They newspaper is a historical name throwback, what is inexcusable is the usage to the archaic British spelling in the body of the article. It's Connacht for feck sake.
Fair enough on the title but there is no call in the body of the article.

seafoid

How are Mayo for freetaking this year? That was a problem last year.

ballinaman

Quote from: seafoid on May 22, 2012, 10:20:42 AM
Was it really for the Championship?

From the Bunker

Quote from: ballinaman on May 22, 2012, 11:09:19 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 22, 2012, 10:20:42 AM
Was it really for the Championship?

Conor Mortimer is back, so he's an extra option.

rosnarun

It was aproblem of embarresing pproportions in the league last year withi think seven players having a go in one match and
its a still problem from distance off the ground in particular 45's and the like. If Cillian o'connor makes the team we won't be too badly off severe but he badly  needs to find form again for that to happen .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere