Conspiracy Theories

Started by APM, September 15, 2020, 09:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

No one will ever convince me that Alien life doesn't exist, it's a statistical certainty, but try putting a case across for it on the 6 o clock news is another thing entirely.

Evil Genius

Quote from: bennydorano on April 13, 2021, 04:10:27 PM
No one will ever convince me that Alien life doesn't exist,
Fine - I happen to agree. But where's the "conspiracy"?

... but try putting a case across for it on the 6 o clock news is another thing entirely.
You come up with some evidence and not just the 6 o'clock news guys, but every news organisation on the entire planet will be breaking down your door to get broadcasting the Greatest. News. Story. Ever.

As it is, this rather more modest story got worldwide coverage just a few weeks back, including, I remember, the lead story on the BBC news at 6 o'clock one evening:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/nasa-perseverance-mars-rover-launches-mission-find-life
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

J70

No one will ever convince me that Alien life doesn't exist, it's a statistical certainty, but try putting a case across for it on the 6 o clock news is another thing entirely.

Having the opinion that there's probably life out there somewhere is not a conspiracy theory. I would agree myself that, given the size and age of the universe, its absolutely more likely than not.

Having the opinion that aliens built the pyramids or the US government is covering up alien landings at Roswell, NM, and Area 51 is not a normal, albeit highly-classified, USAF technological development and testing facility IS conspiracy theory stuff.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on April 13, 2021, 02:49:53 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 13, 2021, 11:22:51 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 13, 2021, 10:58:54 AM
The thing you have to understand when people (particularly the media) go on about conspiracy theories, is that they always mention the most outrageous one, so that people immediately roll the eyes and say "what a nut!", and stop listening.

Heard it discussed lately on RTE Radio. Presenter says, sure some of these people believe that the RTE presenters are being injected by lizard blood to keep them young looking on the TV, or something along those lines. Cue the eye rolling and head shaking.

It already happening on this thread.

OK the floor is yours. Which do you think are true?

As I said earlier, anything that could be credible is lost among the 'Elvis is still on tour' bullshit.
Give us your list of credible theories. They do vary widely from batshit crazy (hollow earth) to fairly plausible (Epstein was bumped off).

Rufus T Firefly

The conspiracy theory that exercises me the most relates to God Save the Queen by the Pistols, which peaked at number 2 in the official UK Singles Chart on week ending 11 June 1977, and was kept off the all important top spot by a bit of official skulduggery.  >:(

Taken from Wikipedia

QuoteThe song peaked at No. 2 (below Rod Stewart's "I Don't Want to Talk About It" released as a double A-side budget single along with "The First Cut Is the Deepest") on the official UK Singles Chart used by the BBC, though there have been persistent rumours that it was actually the biggest-selling single in the UK at the time, and was kept off No. 1 because it was felt that it might cause offence.[4][8][9]

Various sources state that it was indeed the highest-selling single of the week,[10][11] despite a ban by the BBC and some major retailers.[12] In order to prevent it from reaching the top of the "official" BMRB chart, for one week compilers "decreed that shops which sold their own records could not have those records represented in the chart", and thus sales from Virgin Megastores were not counted.[13] Virgin had few doubts that theirs was the higher-selling single; the company's sales total out of stock exceeded the officially cited sales for the Rod Stewart single.[14]

In addition to the BBC, the single was banned by the Independent Broadcasting Authority which regulated Independent Local Radio. On at least one singles chart for the period, TOP 20 POPS, the song's position at No. 2 was represented by a blank line. In March 2001, the BBC published an article that stated '"God Save the Queen" reached number one in the UK in 1977 despite being banned by the BBC, and marked a defining moment in the punk revolution.'[15] The NME magazine chart did in fact place the single at number-one during the Silver Jubilee of Elizabeth II.[12][16]

Baile an tuaigh

The term "conspiracy theorist" was made popular by the CIA to stop critical thinkers from asking questions about the JFK assassination. In a memo called "countering criticism of the Warren report" the CIA set out to make the term "conspiracy theorist" weapon to be used against anyone who questioned the government's secret activities and programs.

J70

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on May 29, 2021, 09:37:02 PM
The term "conspiracy theorist" was made popular by the CIA to stop critical thinkers from asking questions about the JFK assassination. In a memo called "countering criticism of the Warren report" the CIA set out to make the term "conspiracy theorist" weapon to be used against anyone who questioned the government's secret activities and programs.

Be that as it may, it doesn't lend any legitimacy to the half-baked, paranoid nonsense pervading much of the population these days, especially on the American Trumpist right.

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2021, 10:11:24 PM

Be that as it may, it doesn't lend any legitimacy to the half-baked, paranoid nonsense pervading much of the population these days, especially on the American Trumpist right.

i don't watch TV now unless for Mass or GAA fixtures, the political theatrics played out on the screen is to distract the masses.

When it comes to voting I vote for principles and policy's not Politicians or party. Unfortunately they don't get the financial backing.

This quote by Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the Rothschild banking dynasty sums up politics for me. "Give me control of a nation"s money supply, and i care not who makes it laws,"

sid waddell

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on May 29, 2021, 11:28:46 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2021, 10:11:24 PM

i don't watch TV now unless for Mass or GAA fixtures, the political theatrics played out on the screen is to distract the masses.

When it comes to voting I vote for principles and policy's not Politicians or party. Unfortunately they don't get the financial backing.

This quote by Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the Rothschild banking dynasty sums up politics for me. "Give me control of a nation"s money supply, and i care not who makes it laws,"

I think I could have a fair guess at the sort of "principles and policy's" you vote for

Very niche would the kindest way to describe them

Probably not very nice though