Nuclear Power in Ireland

Started by Tony Baloney, April 03, 2013, 11:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you accept a nuclear power plant in Ireland?

Yes
31 (60.8%)
Never
10 (19.6%)
Only if the waste was dumped in Tyrone
10 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Tony Baloney

With all Lawnseed's proposals for renewable energy, employment prospects and rocketing energy prices, is there, or will there ever be, an appetite for nuclear power on these shores?

lawnseed

how cheap would the electric be? i'm not sure that after the cost of treating the waste is counted that the power is cheap
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Hereiam

In uni we had a lecture tell us that nuclear is the only answer to supplying energy and I total agree. With the whole celtic tiger episode the irish government should have built them when germany was giving out the money

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hereiam on April 03, 2013, 11:42:59 PM
In uni we had a lecture tell us that nuclear is the only answer to supplying energy and I total agree. With the whole celtic tiger episode the irish government should have built them when germany was giving out the money
Good option in terms of energy supply but Lawnseed is right that there is no getting away from the huge capital costs both for initial setup and ongoing O & M. David Cameron wants to build a new Mox plant at a cost of about £6 billion - sounds like madness to me.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on April 03, 2013, 11:36:43 PM
how cheap would the electric be? i'm not sure that after the cost of treating the waste is counted that the power is cheap
UK Estimates from 2010

Technology Cost range (£/MWh)
New nuclear80–105
Onshore wind80–110
Biomass60–120
Natural gas turbines with CO2 capture60–130
Coal with CO2 capture100–155
Solar farms125–180
Offshore wind150–210
Natural gas turbine, no CO2 capture55–110
Tidal power155–390

Divide the above figures by 10 to obtain the price in pence per kilowatt-hour.

lawnseed

as i tried to get across on the other thread you have to pee with the one you have no point in looking at the next fellas'. we need cheaper power to help attract more business to this island and to help prevent poor folk dying with the cold. the source doesnt really matter as long as its cheap as chips and doesnt leave us in a toxic mess. we cant afford to do nuclear properly so its safer to leave it.
imagine the mess the plant would be if we let a few of those dublin 'builders' at it. it'd be like that readybreak advert
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on April 04, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
as i tried to get across on the other thread you have to pee with the one you have no point in looking at the next fellas'. we need cheaper power to help attract more business to this island and to help prevent poor folk dying with the cold. the source doesnt really matter as long as its cheap as chips and doesnt leave us in a toxic mess. we cant afford to do nuclear properly so its safer to leave it.
imagine the mess the plant would be if we let a few of those dublin 'builders' at it. it'd be like that readybreak advert
In this instance I agree with you. It is a difficult area as governments have to balance carbon targets against the environment against cost against Nimbyism etc.it is nearly impossible to please everyone.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: lawnseed on April 04, 2013, 12:16:01 AM

Sure let them Healey Rea boys take care of it, it'd be grand so!

stew

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 03, 2013, 11:13:28 PM
With all Lawnseed's proposals for renewable energy, employment prospects and rocketing energy prices, is there, or will there ever be, an appetite for nuclear power on these shores?

The brits promised cheaper renewable in the 50's/60's if they got their way, they lied, feck nuclear power and keep Ireland free of nuclear energy.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Maguire01

Sure why would we want nuclear when we have the River Bann?!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 04, 2013, 07:06:46 AM
Sure why would we want nuclear when we have the River Bann?!

I assume you are referring to the Upper Bann, we keep the Lower part clean ;)

Tony Baloney

26 votes cast so far with the vast majority in favour of nuclear power, some only in favour of dumping the waste in Tyrone.

Can't ever seeing the wider electorare or politicians in Ireland have the balls to take on nuclear power.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

There is already a nuclear power in Ireland, it's called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and the 6 Counties.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

qubdub

Poor infrastructure (in the north anyway) and a massive abundance of wind energy that's crying out to be harvested means I voted no.