Born in the Wrong Place

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 13, 2007, 02:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligeach

Quote from: ONeill on July 13, 2007, 04:12:28 PM
If Peter the Great had been born in Kerry, you'd never have heard of Maurice Fitzgerald....

Ah now ONeill, you don't even believe that yourself.

Give the Kerrymen some credit, noones going to bite that :P

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI wouldn't exactly have considered his goal scoring ability as his best feature. The man runs like a train through defences and no offence to my own county but he practically did 2002 on his own.

he got a great goal against Tyrone in 02 didn't he or is my memory failing me? Also always struck as the sort of player who can really light up a match with an inspirational lung bursting run. A very different player to McGrane but I think either O'Hara or Cavanagh would have been the perfect foil to Paul.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 13, 2007, 04:18:21 PM
QuoteI wouldn't exactly have considered his goal scoring ability as his best feature. The man runs like a train through defences and no offence to my own county but he practically did 2002 on his own.

he got a great goal against Tyrone in 02 sisn't he or is my memory failing me? Also always struck as the sort of player who can really light up a match with an inspirational lung bursting run. A very different player to McGrane but I think either O'Hara or Cavanagh would have been the perfect foil to Paul.

Yes, your memory's failing you
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magpie seanie

Quotehe got a great goal against Tyrone in 02 sisn't he or is my memory failing me?

No that was the great Dessie Sloyan. In the week that's in it I'll salute him. A pity he didn't last long enough to claim a deserved medal but he did more than most to get one.

Hound

Quote from: Stagmeister on July 13, 2007, 03:46:58 PM
Agree its a stupid article alright but have to say Ciaran Whelan would have walked on to the Kerry team for the last 12 years...I'm not saying he's as good as Dara O'Se because he's not, but he's definitely better than any other midfielder kerry have produced over the last 12 years

Whelan is the most overly criticised player in the GAA...no matter what the man does the same line is thrown out about him going missing in games...yes he goes missing in games but so does every other midfielder in the country, no one can dominate midfield for 70mins not even Dara O'Se

Do you really think Vinnie Murphy wanted to play for Kerry?? I dont know myself what his reasons were for moving down there but I would be shocked if he wanted to line out for the kingdom...obviously kerry had no need for Vinnie Murphy as ye have such an amount of quality players down there and it would be ridculous to have a 'foreign' player in your side when you have that talent at your disposal but at the same time thats not a bad reflection on Vinnie Murphy because he would have been an asset to any county panel in his prime...
Yes, Vinny did want to play for Kerry. Sure, he did play for their hurlers. Vinny's a bit mad. A lot actually!

The Bomber raved at his performances for the club down there. Vinny was told he was on the Kerry football panel, but then the media got hold of it and were going to make a big deal about it, so the Kerry County Board quickly put a stop to it.

Truly unbelievable some of the comments on here about Whelan. Ignorance knows no bounds.
We would have been a hellava lot worse off without him.

ONeill

Quote from: sligeach on July 13, 2007, 04:16:32 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 13, 2007, 04:12:28 PM
If Peter the Great had been born in Kerry, you'd never have heard of Maurice Fitzgerald....

Ah now ONeill, you don't even believe that yourself.

Give the Kerrymen some credit, noones going to bite that :P

I'm telling you. Kerry's poor team at that time made him look good. He was no better than Joey Cunningham. If Fitzgerald had been born a Tyrone man, we'd have made a player out of him.

CJ McGourty - if this lad was born in Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin or Cork he'd be the new Gooch. Unfortunately he's going to be a Mattie Forde or Declan Browne and never grace the big day in September.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TacadoirArdMhacha

I can only apologise! So much to remember from that year, you'll forgive me if some of it is a bit hazy.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Stagmeister

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2007, 04:22:16 PM
No that was the great Dessie Sloyan. In the week that's in it I'll salute him. A pity he didn't last long enough to claim a deserved medal but he did more than most to get one.

Unfortunate that Sloyan missed out on a medal alright...they could seriously do with someone like him in the team at the moment too...if they had him last weekend they would have won that game by 5-6 points easy...

Fishead_Sam

Prince Harry & Ciaran Whelan both misunderstood  :D

sligeach

Quote from: ONeill on July 13, 2007, 04:22:59 PM
I'm telling you. Kerry's poor team at that time made him look good. He was no better than Joey Cunningham. If Fitzgerald had been born a Tyrone man, we'd have made a player out of him.

CJ McGourty - if this lad was born in Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin or Cork he'd be the new Gooch. Unfortunately he's going to be a Mattie Forde or Declan Browne and never grace the big day in September.

Right i'm afraid i'm going to have to bite .....

Its true enough that Kerry team wasn't the greatest but Fitzgerald was pure magic. Jesus don't you remember the scores he got ?

I know your only taking the piss but still.

sligeach

Quote from: Stagmeister on July 13, 2007, 04:28:56 PM
Unfortunate that Sloyan missed out on a medal alright...they could seriously do with someone like him in the team at the moment too...if they had him last weekend they would have won that game by 5-6 points easy...

Thats for sure.

Seanie, is there any chance of him making a comeback for the next match ? :)

I was reading his "profile" on hoganstand.

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE REMEMBERED? As a person who was always there when they were needed most

Wouldn't he be welcome now.

Kerry Mike

QuoteIf Peter the Great had been born in Kerry, you'd never have heard of Maurice Fitzgerald....

There is only room for one God in our Kingdom and Fitzy has that title sown up.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mike Sheehy

If Maurice Fitzgerald was born in Tyrone....

...Olympic diving champion...!!

6th sam

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 14, 2007, 01:03:37 AM
If Maurice Fitzgerald was born in Tyrone....

[

As a neutral coming from a county who fell victim to Peter's most notorious "dive" of all,for the penalty which turned the 2003 Ulster final,I'd like to join the debate on who was best between Peter and Maurice.

I think Peter has the edge,as I can never remembering him playing a match and not having a major influence on the game,or not inspiring those around him.
Maurice was a delightful footballer who was blessed with height Peter didn't have,yet on a few occasions he did not have a major influence on the game he was playing in.There were times when he made himself unavailable for his county,for whatever reason,and looking on from the outside ,he didn't appear to make the same effort to inspire those around him.

Much as it pains me to say it Canavan was the outstanding footballer of his generation given that he matched sublime skill,with an outstanding attitude to the game.He was no angel,but in my view he was the most significant player in every game he played in.

stephenite

Quote from: Stagmeister on July 13, 2007, 04:28:56 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2007, 04:22:16 PM

Was delighted for Sligo when the final whistle went but my first thought was for Dessie, was a great player for Muredeachs back in the day