Leinster Minor Football Final 2007 Laois v Carlow

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 10, 2007, 05:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Longford

Have me doubts about Carlow.
Longford beat them in the first round in Leinster and although they were rated pretty highly within the county were probably not that exceptional. They subseqquently collapsed against Offaly who were well beaten by Laois so I'd say Carlow have a lot to do.

Fair Play

First to clear up a few things.
Graiguecullen is not 90% in Laois. It's 90% in Carlow.
Donie Kingston did play for Tinryland but first played in Laois at a very young age and intentions were i understand that he would always go back there.
Carlow played in the Ulster Minor League and got a few heavy beatings but there were extenuating circumstances - missing some of their strongest players for those games.
Laois are a fine side but Carlow can trouble them; Carlow strong up the middle, some of the wing men will struggle. Funny thing is Carlow are without a good number of what should be first choice players who didn't commit. Bet they're sorry now.
Some light at the end of a very dark tunnell for Carlow.

The Real Laoislad

As far as i've always know most of it is in Laois..Well the good part is anyways ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Don

Quote from: North Longford on July 11, 2007, 12:16:31 PM
Have me doubts about Carlow.
Longford beat them in the first round in Leinster and although they were rated pretty highly within the county were probably not that exceptional. They subseqquently collapsed against Offaly who were well beaten by Laois so I'd say Carlow have a lot to do.

Carlow played Longford off the pitch that day and shot a heap of wides. Have improved every day out and will need to again if they are to challenge. If it were Meath v Laois many people would say it were a 50 50 game but carlow being the minnows have no chance

whiskeysteve

Derry are the team to beat this year. Won Ulster Minor League handy, and cruised into Ulster Final only conceeding four points. You heard it here first....
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Lone Shark

For anyone interested, I've just priced it up - Laois 1/6 for the match, Carlow 9/2 and 12/1 draw, Carlow 5/6 favourites and Laois 6/5 off a 6 point handicap. Should be on site by morning.

North Longford

QuoteCarlow played Longford off the pitch that day and shot a heap of wides.
Don I'd say thats a little bit of an exageration.
Carlow played well and kicked more wides than Longford but were actually about 7 points down with about 10 mins to go. I'm not sure if its possible "to play a team off the field" and still go 7 points down. They did however play Longford off the field in the last 10 minutes particualrly when the midfielder wen to full forward where he caused havoc.
Still would love to see them win.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2007, 08:35:51 AM
Donnie Kingston is from Carlow and James Doyle is from Athy, Doyle played with Athy up until last year when he was poached by Laois, his inter-county transfer should never have been approved.

Would love to see Carlow win.

I'd also love to see Carlow win if they were playing anyone else bar my own county.
Donie Kingston and James Doyle both live in County Laois and have transferred legally and above board to their clubs in Laois. Is there something about intercounty transfers I don't know about?
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Dinny Breen

James Doyle both live in County Laois and have transferred legally and above board to their clubs in Laois

Are you sure about that? thought he was on the Kildare side of the border, he goes to school in Athy, played under-age for Athy and Kildare. Then transfers to St Josephs and gets on the Laois Minor panel although he never played a part in their development squads. Can't comment on Kingston other than what already has been said.

Thomas Walsh was transferred legally and above board, does that make it alright?
#newbridgeornowhere

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 13, 2007, 02:06:09 PM
James Doyle both live in County Laois and have transferred legally and above board to their clubs in Laois

Are you sure about that? thought he was on the Kildare side of the border, he goes to school in Athy, played under-age for Athy and Kildare. Then transfers to St Josephs and gets on the Laois Minor panel although he never played a part in their development squads. Can't comment on Kingston other than what already has been said.

Thomas Walsh was transferred legally and above board, does that make it alright?

Without going into it too much, Doyle's dad is a Laoisman, lived in Athy up until recently, and has now built a house out near his homplace in the St Josephs club catchment area.
As far as I know, Kingston's case is almost identical and involved his parents building a new house in the father's homeplace.
Lot's of lads from Josephs, Ballylinan area go to school in Athy, doesn't make them Lillies  ;)
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

The Real Laoislad

Felt sorry for Carlow in the end,Laois blew them away in the first half and it was lucky we had such a big score up as Carlow came storming back and in fairness would have desereved the win.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shrewdness

So, what did we learn from today's game????....Are Laois still the banker for the All Ireland, or do we agree that Roscommon are not without a chance against them in the QF?

The Real Laoislad

If Laois play like they did in the first half nobody will beat them.They got very cocky in the 2nd half probably thinking they had it won and let Carlow back into it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnpower

Cork and Tyrone are the teams to beat Saw laois today though some of them believe their own hype allready