Meath v Fermanagh Official Thread

Started by Jinxy, July 09, 2007, 10:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

I never pay any attention to the teams Charlie names for the media. I wouldn't be surprised if changes are made to the actual team that lines out on Saturday evening. McBarron was seriously struggling for fitness at HT on Sunday so there is no chance of getting 70 mins out of him. He might be holding Sherry on the bench and then bring him on at half time. The two lads that play midfield for Meath are huge so its crucial that McBarron competes physcially in the middle of the park. I hope Shaun Doc gets significant game time on Saturday. He's had a rough time of it under Mulgrew the last couple of years. I think he's a great talent and could do a good job for us if only given the chance to play.

Exiled, do you reckon we'll bring many supporters to Navan on Saturday? We need all the support we can get!!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

There's certainly no bandwagon rolling but I'd say we'll bring 5,000 at best, suppose it's unfair to say we've bad support, just f**k all of us!
Reckon there'll be a good Meath crowd out for revenge and there'll be maybe 10/15,000 in total

FermPundit

Aye, we have limited resources alright. The meath people are seriously out for revenge on Saturday night hence why I think we'll go into the game as under-dogs. I think Fermanagh will be wearing the new away jersey this weekend. I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure its similiar in design to the new green one.

ExiledGael

Must admit I don't like the new jersey, prefer the old one

inisceithleann

I agree with you ExiledGael about the jersey, I'm not a big fan of the new jersey either. I bought it when it first came out and they quality of the material is shocking. If you were to spit on it hard enough it would tear.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Jinxy

Fermanagh folk, who has been your scorer-in-chief from play so far this season?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

FermPundit

We haven't really had a good scorer from play this season. Most of our scores come from frees. In the majority of games this year 3 or 4 players have chipped in with 1 or 2 points from play backed up with the accurate free taking of Ciaran O'Reilly or Tom Brewster. The inability of the Fermanagh forwards to turn possession into scores has been a great source of frustration this year. Our defence has been rock solid so far this season and if we only had one true outstanding forward who would be guaranteed to knock over 5 or 6 points scores from play we would be a very strong side. In saying that, on our day I believe we're a match for any side in Ireland and I'm confident that we'll give Meath a good rattle on Saturday evening!

Jinxy

Meath team for tomorrow. 1 change only from the last day.

B. Murphy; E. Harrington, D. Fay, N. McKeigue; S. Kenny, K. Reilly, C. King; M. Ward, N. Crawford; N. McLoughlin, A. Moyles, P. Byrne; S. Bray, S. O'Rourke, B. Farrell.

It's looking like it'll be another soft day tomorrow as well. Dare I say that will suit the bigger, more physical team?

inisceithleann

FermPundit, how can you say that we struggle to score from play but yet can match any team in Ireland on our day? Fermanagh no doubt have an outstanding defence, but to win matches you have to score. Our forwards are industrious but most of them do not pose a scoring threat. Against a strong defence like Meath, we face an uphill struggle to win. If Eamon Maguire and Mark Little are well marshalled and the meath defence are disciplined and don't give away frees where are the scores going to come from?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

FermPundit

I believe we're a match for any side in Ireland due to our strong defence who will always keep things tight. I take your point regarding maguire and little being well marshalled but sure you could apply this theory to numerous sides who rely on 2 or 3 players to get the majority of their scores or frees. I know we face a uphill struggle this Saturday but if the boys play to their full potential they'll give Meath a good game.

Quote from: Jinxy on July 13, 2007, 11:33:01 AM
Meath team for tomorrow. 1 change only from the last day.

B. Murphy; E. Harrington, D. Fay, N. McKeigue; S. Kenny, K. Reilly, C. King; M. Ward, N. Crawford; N. McLoughlin, A. Moyles, P. Byrne; S. Bray, S. O’Rourke, B. Farrell.

It's looking like it'll be another soft day tomorrow as well. Dare I say that will suit the bigger, more physical team?

No doubt if conditions are damp it will suit the physcially stronger Meath side. Heres hoping the weather forecasters have got it wrong!

Hardy

I suppose I have to say something on this thread because Hound is counting my posts. I haven't much sensible to say, though. I know nothing about Fermanagh. All I can think of is that we're a much better team than we were in 2003 and 2004 when they beat us and I don't think they're as good now as they were then. So Meath to win!

The only thing bothering me is moving Moyles away from CHB. I think it's lunacy to "unsolve" again a huge problem that was well and truly solved. Maybe Kevin Reilly will be an even bigger success there, but we may not know until we're out of the championship and that would be an expensive way to find out.

Jinxy

Well, better to find out now if it will or won't work, providing that we aren't punished terminally if it doesn't of course.

Hound

No Sheridan on the bench.

Meath substitutes: – R. Nolan, S. McGabhann, J. Donegan, C. Ward, P. Curran, C. McCarthy, C. McGuinness, C. O'Connor, P. Howard, S. Sheppard, J.B. O'Reilly, M. Burke, D. Donegan, J. Queeney

Big gamble moving Moyles, I can't really see the sense in playing him at 11, but I'm sure there's a plan.

FermPundit

Fermanagh: C Breen, S Goan, B Owens, N Bogue, P Sherry, S McDermott, T McElroy, L McBarron, M Murphy, M Little, T Brewster, E Maguire, C McElroy, C O'Reilly, R Keenan.

Subs: N Tinney, D O'Reilly, D Kelly, C Bradley, R Johnston, J McGurn, S Doherty, B Og Maguire, S O'Brien, P McCusker, M McGrath, H Brady, J Sherry, S Lyons.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mulgrew alters this line up before throw in on saturday.

agorm

Meath team is not a surprise as we were speculating after Saturday night's game that McLoughlin would be brought in. I was hoping for a bit more inventiveness in the selections for the qualifiers with the bigger picture of next year's Leinster in mind. Placing Moyles at CHF is a good bold move from that point of view, he is probably the best man for CHB but I think it is a risk worth taking. Our team is far from fiinished and we need to find out the optimum team selection.

Hopefully we will have enough firepower for Fermanagh. I dont know how they compare to the team from a few years ago. It is one of those games that could go either way very easily. The team that "wants" it more will probaby get the breaks and those breaks should be enough to tip the balance in their favour. Hopefully the recent difficulties in the Meath camp will act as a motivator and not a demotivator.