Alan Dillon Retires

Started by mrhardyannual, November 28, 2017, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhardyannual

Alan Dillon has called time on his inter-county career with Mayo. Continuously involved since playing minor in 1999 he has been a great servant to Mayo. A genius at finding time and space on the ball. I have often been told by a physio who treated him that he (the physio) never understood how he could perform to the level he did considering the injuries he was carrying. A dual All-Star who never stinted in his dedication to his club, Ballintubber, he will always be held in high regard by Mayo supporters. As I can't abide the term "legend" I won't use it but suffice it to say that his contribution as a link-man was vital to Mayo's successes  in the past decade and more.

rosnarun

Quote from: mrhardyannual on November 28, 2017, 11:13:09 AM
Alan Dillon has called time on his inter-county career with Mayo. Continuously involved since playing minor in 1999 he has been a great servant to Mayo. A genius at finding time and space on the ball. I have often been told by a physio who treated him that he (the physio) never understood how he could perform to the level he did considering the injuries he was carrying. A dual All-Star who never stinted in his dedication to his club, Ballintubber, he will always be held in high regard by Mayo supporters. As I can't abide the term "legend" I won't use it but suffice it to say that his contribution as a link-man was vital to Mayo's successes  in the past decade and more.
well said . bits must be dropping off him now if hes going to retire. he has looed like he was help together by glue for the last few years.
yet another sporting tradgey he has to retire with out an all Ireland medal . imagine going just one year too soon
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

A good servant. Enjoy the retirement, he gave it everything.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

sligoman2

Great player, great heart, great ambassador.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

seafoid

Mayo have been playing at a very high level in recent years thanks to the skill levels and experience of people like Dillon. A real pity that the Dubs played keep the ball and pass it back to Clucko this September. 
Whenever a team wins Sam they do it carried on the shoulders of those who wore the jersey before them and didn't win. Alan Dillon is one of those men.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

A good time of the year to announce his decision. He is a private person and with GAA almost in shut down for the month he has given himself the chance to walk away peacefully. He and Andy are symbols of the relentless pursuit of the Holy grail. His retirement has been annually predicted by the media since 2013.

One of my favourite memories of Dillon was the 2000 AI semi final replay against Westmeath. The game was played in Carrick on Shannon. That day Dillon and Conor Mortimer gave an exhibition of play living of scraps in the forward line.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/30416-the-2000-mayo-minors-where-are-they-now

A great servant!

Rossfan

Best wishes on your retirement.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

What age is he? always thought he was one of the most naturally gifted footballers on the Mayo panels he played on.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 28, 2017, 08:07:44 PM
What age is he? always thought he was one of the most naturally gifted footballers on the Mayo panels he played on.

macdanger2

Class player and a great servant to Mayo

theskull1

A super player ... really enjoyed watch him
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Farrandeelin

Fine Gael in talks with Alan.  ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 30, 2017, 09:14:57 PM
Fine Gael in talks with Alan.  ::)

He's well used to sitting on the bench.

macdanger2

Is there not a general discussion thread for those last few posts lads?