Mark Vaughan dropped from Dublin Panel

Started by thebandit, July 22, 2009, 10:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

According to i105-107 news, he was dropped for an alleged 'breach of dicipline'.

From herald.ie
QuoteMark Vaughan has been dropped from the Dublin senior football squad.

The Kilmacud Crokes attacker is believed to have been let go by management for disciplinary reasons and will not play any part in Dublin's preparations for their All-Ireland SFC quarter-final on the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Vaughan has missed all of Dublin's championship games so far this summer due to a back injury but has resumed full training in recent weeks and is thought to have been in the running for a return to the match day squad for their last eight tie.

He was not listed as a substitute in any of Dublin's three championship games to date, but has formed part of the extended training squad in recent weeks as he attempted to break his way into manager Pat Gilroy's plans for their post Leinster campaign.

One of Crokes most influential players earlier this year as they went all the way to an All-Ireland club title with the defeat of Crossmaglen Rangers in Croke Park on St Patrick's Day, Vaughan missed almost Dublin's entire league campaign as a result and made just one appearance, as a late substitute for Conal Keaney against Westmeath in the final game of their Division 2 programme.

However, he was sent by management to correct a long-term back problem, ruling him out of Dublin's Leinster campaign. Back in mid-June, however, Gilroy was optimistic about Vaughan's chance of playing this summer, insisting "we'd expect him back in training in three to four weeks, but he has a good bit to go to get himself right."

The player is understood to be fully fit after receiving extensive treatment on his lower back but now finds himself out in the inter-county cold for the foreseeable future.

- Conor McKeon

the Deel Rover

did he pull his jesrsey over his head in training after scoring a goal and have something wriiten on his chest that pat gilroy didn't like ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 22, 2009, 10:07:18 AM
did he pull his jesrsey over his head in training after scoring a goal and have something wriiten on his chest that pat gilroy didn't like ?

I heard he did his back in again while moonwalking!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

the Deel Rover

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 22, 2009, 10:13:04 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 22, 2009, 10:07:18 AM

I heard he did his back in again while moonwalking!

makes sense it could easily happen if not practised properly especially if he had multicogs on , he should have asked the mort for some advice
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

heineken_on_tap

Not good for Dublin, even if he was not to make the first 15 with 10 -15  minutes left Vaughan is the kind of player you would introduce to make a difference. Handy free taker as well under pressure.

the Deel Rover

in fairness i have been impressed with gilroy in his 1st year as manager especially against Kildare where he made all the right switches something i don't think pillar was capable off . This action if true just sends out the message that you play by his rules otherwise your gone. maybe the dublin lads can confirm whether gilroy helped raise funds to set up a training centre for the team  i'm sure i read it in some paper if so it justs shows how committed to the dubs he really is
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

heffo

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=11943.msg557569#msg557569

From seven weeks ago:

"there is more the Vaughan situation and his 'bad back' than meets the eye too.."

orangeman

INDIANA

Old news really. Would be concerned however of the lack of a long range place kicker.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2009, 11:16:13 AM
Old news really. Would be concerned however of the lack of a long range place kicker.

Stephen Cluxton should be taking the long range frees

Hound

Disappointed about Vaughan. Missed a training session seems to be the official reason. Perhaps it was the last straw.

I wouldnt start him, but I'd rate him higher than probably all our current sub forwards.

kevmy

It's a pity for Dublin that they can't make the best of him. He is a seriously talented player, a bit in the Mortimer/Mulligan style, he would obviously take a bit of management. However in my opinion a fully-fit, confident Vaughan would certainly be in the running for a starting spot. A better long range free-kick taker than anyone else on the Dub panel and capable of being fantastic on his day from play as well. Outside of the two Brogans, Jayo and possibly Keaney no one has nailed down a starting spot in the Dublin forward line this year

Zapatista

Quote from: kevmy on July 22, 2009, 01:42:44 PM
Outside of the two Brogans, Jayo and possibly Keaney no one has nailed down a starting spot in the Dublin forward line this year

Yet Dublin have averaged over 2-18 per game in leinster. Not a bad return.

magpie seanie

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 22, 2009, 01:15:49 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2009, 11:16:13 AM

Stephen Cluxton should be taking the long range frees

He could kick one or two out over the sideline every game too!

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: kevmy on July 22, 2009, 01:42:44 PM
It's a pity for Dublin that they can't make the best of him. He is a seriously talented player, a bit in the Mortimer/Mulligan style, he would obviously take a bit of management. However in my opinion a fully-fit, confident Vaughan would certainly be in the running for a starting spot. A better long range free-kick taker than anyone else on the Dub panel and capable of being fantastic on his day from play as well. Outside of the two Brogans, Jayo and possibly Keaney no one has nailed down a starting spot in the Dublin forward line this year

Two out of three ain't bad though...