The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midman

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 08, 2009, 03:38:56 PM
Liverpool 0
Atletico Madrid 2  Forlon, Aguero

if that aint bad, Carragher has gone off injured.  Thats all three central defenders out at the minute.  

Liverpool 1 ATM 2, Alonsos real replacement, the all singing all dancing Lucas Leiva with the goal :P

corn02

Saw some of the first and all of the second, very enjoyable game.

Defence, as expected, was in trouble. I say Distin will be in this week.

Midfield and up top were good. Lucas was probably the pick of the bunch.

Carmen Stateside

Good run out overall.  Some good passages of play, and who said Masch cant pass? it was one of his strengths today.  Insua seems to have left back all tied up another good performance as had Johnson who looked lively.  

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 08, 2009, 04:37:14 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 08, 2009, 03:36:31 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 08, 2009, 03:19:24 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 08, 2009, 03:06:52 PM
Taking out Zola, how many Italians have been a real success in the premier league ?
outside of zola and even he wasnt a regular international,how many top italian players came to the premiership?dicanio had his moments as did ravenali but he was well past his best when he came to midlesborough.

Yeah true not many have come over for a various of reasons, use to be that if they played outside Italy they would find it very hard to be considered for the national team but also I think the physical nature and fast pace is distinctly different to the technical approach in serie a. Combine that with the new italian's injury problems and he may find it hard to settle in.

There are a few Italians on the books of West Ham, with Macheda and Dossena in the PL too.

Corrdi and Bianchi didn't do well, Di Michele was in and out of the hammers and a few in the 90's in Festa, Casiraghi, Di Matteo and the few that you mentioned.

forgot about di matteo and vialli for that matter but i thought di matteo did quite well,casiraghi never really got a chance due to career ending injury he got very early in his chelsea career.i think liverpools new lad will need time to settle but 20mil is alot to pay if you are not confident he can hack it in the prem.

Christian Panucci and Sam Dalla Bonna another of the Italians who played in the PL for Chelsea. Flops.

Di Matteo was a class act.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

GalwayBayBoy

so looks like Aquliani has signed. I think he'll be a good player for Liverpool in time. Maybe not quite as good as Xabi at his best but I think he has the potential to score more goals and get more assists. However he is up against it in making an impact this coming season. He won't be fit for another 4 to 8 weeks and he'll have missed the entire pre-season and then he'll have to adapt to a new team and a new league. That is a big ask of any player no matter how talented he is. We may not see the best of him until next season but hopefully he can be effective from Christmas on at least.

Seems to be talk that we will be bringing in another centre-half with Turner from Hull and Distin mentioned. Distin may be the cheaper option and he is a good player. You could probably get another 2 or 3 years out of him and Pompey are desperate to unload big earners.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 08, 2009, 05:41:36 PM
so looks like Aquliani has signed. I think he'll be a good player for Liverpool in time. Maybe not quite as good as Xabi at his best but I think he has the potential to score more goals and get more assists. However he is up against it in making an impact this coming season. He won't be fit for another 4 to 8 weeks and he'll have missed the entire pre-season and then he'll have to adapt to a new team and a new league. That is a big ask of any player no matter how talented he is. We may not see the best of him until next season but hopefully he can be effective from Christmas on at least.

Seems to be talk that we will be bringing in another centre-half with Turner from Hull and Distin mentioned. Distin may be the cheaper option and he is a good player. You could probably get another 2 or 3 years out of him and Pompey are desperate to unload big earners.

Sol Campbell on a free perhaps?

The Real Laoislad

Taking out Zola, how many Italians have been a real success in the premier league ?

Massimo Taibi  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Eastern_Pride

Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

slievegullion

It's gone very quiet on the transfer front.

Any word of signing another attacking player? Silva?

I really hope that Aquilani is not the last major signing. With him being out for up to 8 weeks and the fact that it may take him a while to settle in I think it looks likely that Gerard is going to have to come back and play alongside Mascherano because I don't think Lucas is up to it. He is good for providing cover and all but I would not want to see him playing week in week out, I don't think he has the quality if Liverpool are serious about challenging.

Therefore another attacking option is possibly needed in order to bring Gerard back. Villa would be perfect but probably far too unrealistic?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: slievegullion on August 09, 2009, 12:18:59 PM
It's gone very quiet on the transfer front.

Any word of signing another attacking player? Silva?

Seems to be unlikely that we'll bring in another attacking player. All the talk seems to be about bringing in a defender like Distin or Turner.

supersub

yet another dissapointment in the transfer market, losing alonso and bringin in someone whos in rehabilitation for the third time!! Torres is the only real big spending weve done and look wat hes done for us! We need at least one more world class midfieldr to help gerrard and torres,who help the rest of the team!

Hound

To be honest,  based on pre-season friendlies (hard to know how much reliance to pass on that, but its all we've got), centre midfield is the least of our worries. Mascherano and Lucas have been our most consistent players. Lucas has added energy and a bit of adventure to his game which means he's looking a bit of a different player. Now he's not the man to play the killer pass, but if he's getting into the right positions, then he's far far more likely to make something happen.

Defence is the biggest worry. Has been shaky, and injuries leave us bare. Even if one or both of Skrtel and Agger are fit, they've done so little pre-season work they're bound to be rusty. Carra can still do a job, but IMO is beyond his peak. San Jose and Ayala look a long way short of being adequate replacements. Kelly looks promising and it was noticeable that he came on at right back v Atletico while Degen was left on the bench.

Kuyt hasnt been all that hot the last couple of games after one brilliant game v Singapore. But he'll definitely play as his workrate might help compensate for some of Johnson's defensive weaknesses. Benny has been busy but lacked real inciseveness. Riera has looked quite good, but hasnt played a whole heap. Torres has been awful! Presumably (and hopefully!!) he just has no interest in firendles, and Gerrard has been below average.

The second half v Madrid at least gave me some hope we might get a positive result v Spurs, if Torres and Gerrard are on their game.

Great atmosphere at Anfield for the Madrid game, in stark contrast to the morgue at Old Trafford for their game v Valencia.

slievegullion

Anyone watching No. 3 of Rafa's Top 100 on LFC Tv?

It's the Liverpool 2-1 United anfield fixture last year. Its absolutely depressing watching how much Alonso controlled that game.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 08, 2009, 11:37:14 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 08, 2009, 07:33:06 PM

Massimo Taibi  :D
I think he saved a shot once.....

He actually got man of the match on his debut v liverpool!!

Cowboy Bob

I am a fan of Liverpool soccer club and we are going to win the EPL this year.I get all my friends in Texas to watch the mighty Scouses all the time.

Yee ha