Galway
1 (0.5%)
Dublin
3 (1.5%)
Mayo
15 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 198

SouthArmaghBandit

Has to be Kerry. Sometimes people underestimate their achievements just because they have won so many All Irelands. 

Quote from: Ball Hopper on September 23, 2008, 03:09:34 AM
Kerry have 4, Tyrone have 3.

If Tyrone win in 2009, the take the tiebreaker on head-to-head comparison.

Who was the team of the 60's....Down (3), or Galway (3).  That's a much more difficult question.

This quote for example overlooks the fact that Kerry won 3 All Irelands during that decade and also appeared in 4 other finals. Galway are remembered for winning 3 in a row. Down are remembered for being the first 6 counties winner.

The Tyrone team of the 2000s will be remembered for winning their 1st All Ireland (after Armagh showed them how to do it) but Kerry will be remembered as the team of the decade. The retained the cup, something that is very hard to do.

Bogball XV

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 23, 2008, 12:35:52 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 23, 2008, 12:32:06 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 23, 2008, 12:29:41 AM
Kerry with 4 All-Irelands to Tyrone's 3
Kerry with 1 backdoor win to Tyrone's 2  - which negates the idea that Kerry have it easier.
Kerry with 6 provincial titles to Tyrones 3
Kerry with 2 National Leagues to Tyrone's 2
Kerry with 7 final appearances to Tyrones 3 (including 5 in a row)
Kerry team of the decade so far....

I would actually tilt towards Kerry for the team of the Decade. But... they can't beat Tyrone! (despite your statistics, lies, damned lies, and statistics!)  :P

True - but then Kerry don't lose to teams like Meath, Down, Laois and Tyrone don't have the consistency required...
Kerry have not beaten any of the above mentioned teams in championship football since the back door was introduced.

Leo

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 23, 2008, 01:26:39 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 23, 2008, 12:35:52 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 23, 2008, 12:32:06 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 23, 2008, 12:29:41 AM
Kerry with 4 All-Irelands to Tyrone's 3
Kerry with 1 backdoor win to Tyrone's 2  - which negates the idea that Kerry have it easier.
Kerry with 6 provincial titles to Tyrones 3
Kerry with 2 National Leagues to Tyrone's 2
Kerry with 7 final appearances to Tyrones 3 (including 5 in a row)
Kerry team of the decade so far....

I would actually tilt towards Kerry for the team of the Decade. But... they can't beat Tyrone! (despite your statistics, lies, damned lies, and statistics!)  :P

True - but then Kerry don't lose to teams like Meath, Down, Laois and Tyrone don't have the consistency required...
Kerry have not beaten any of the above mentioned teams in championship football since the back door was introduced.

Kerry have not beaten Down in Championship football full stop.
1960  Lost in final
1961  Lost in semifinal
1968  Lost in final
1991  Lost in semifinal
1994  Cork lost in their place! (No back door in them days!)
Fierce tame altogether

under the bar

QuoteKerry have not beaten Down in Championship football full stop.
1960  Lost in final
1961  Lost in semifinal
1968  Lost in final
1991  Lost in semifinal
1994  Cork lost in their place! (No back door in them days!)

Din't know that.  Impressive stat Leo.    Which team have beaten Down in the AI semis?

KERRYMAD

Well done Tyrone you won fair & square you had more hunger & upset the kerry style of play while counter attacking with great effect.

however to be a the team of this decade lets see a back to back then you can claim the title of team of the decade.
until then kerry are a shoe in. and i hope tyrone make it to the final next year as we will undoubtably be there again.

if teams buckle in a final like 2006 & 2007 that is not fair to call it a soft all ireland but more a reflection of the way kerry took control of the game from throw in.

kerry never got going yesterday and completely changed their game plan that cost them aswell as a few poor decisiond in front of goal.

its been a tough season the league final, galvin, cork  & cork again and the mighty tyrone. thanks pat o'shea you are only human and came up against a man of mick o'dwyers caliber there was only going to be one winner.

great teams bounce back and we have our goals firmly in sight for 2009 to win the cup claim the title of team of the decade and meet & beat tyrone along the way.

his holiness nb

Soft championships, munster is easy, we were injured, ye cant beat us. Blah blah blah.

Ye are AI champions lads, ye fully deserve this, but know your place. Kerry, so far, are the team of decade, the medal count in league, province and All Ireland all prove this.
To suggest they arent the best because they havent beaten you is arrogant in the extreme.

I cant understand why Tyrone fans cant just accept being a fantastic team. Unless we declare ye the greatest team ever, award ye 15 all stars, admit ye had the best player ever, best manager ever and were also in the match of the year then ye will keep going on about the southern media having an anti tyrone / northern agenda.

Enjoy being AI champions lads and dont go ruining your credibility with silly claims that make no difference anyway.
Ask me holy bollix

saffron sam2

As a pedant, I would like to point out that this decade (as indeed this century and this millenium) started on 1st January2001. The year 2000 was in the last decade, the last century and the last millenium. Therefore whatever happened in 2000 is irrelevant to this debate and both Kerry and Tyrone has three All-Irelands each this decade. Whilst Kerry have won 4 in the noughties, the procedure I outlined above is the one used be statisticians.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

his holiness nb

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 23, 2008, 02:03:01 PM
As a pedant, I would like to point out that this decade (as indeed this century and this millenium) started on 1st January2001. The year 2000 was in the last decade, the last century and the last millenium. Therefore whatever happened in 2000 is irrelevant to this debate and both Kerry and Tyrone has three All-Irelands each this decade. Whilst Kerry have won 4 in the noughties, the procedure I outlined above is the one used be statisticians.

Are you sure your not just pissed?
Ask me holy bollix

Guillem2

Why are there so many votes for Armagh?   :-\ Unbelievable!
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

D4S

Emmm I think your wrong saffron!!

I clearly remember the millenium being celebrated on 31st December 1999!

Maybe are too young to remember this?!?!?
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

passedit

The all ireland numbers would only be relevant if both teams started out from the same point every year. As Kerry get a free pass to the last 12 every year then the only relevant stats are head to heads and three nil is as emphatic as you can get.
Don't Panic

imtommygunn

I think while Tyrone are no doubt superb that in the years they haven't won they've been poor while Kerry in the years they haven't won it have been very very close. For me ,at the minute, Kerry are ahead. While Kerry didn't beat Tyrone last year or the year before if they'd played them they'd have beat them well as Tyrone were not at the races come business end of the championship. People can say it all they want but no all ireland is an easy all ireland hurling or football.

Next year though if Tyrone win then for me they would surpass them.

saffron sam2

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 23, 2008, 02:05:00 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 23, 2008, 02:03:01 PM

Are you sure your not just pissed?

No, not pissed, just correct.

Given that there was no year 0, the first decade ran from the start of 1AD to the end of 10AD; the second one from the start of 11AD to the end of 20AD, right up to the current one which started on 1st January 2001 and will run until 31st December 2010.

Similarly the first century ran from 1AD to the end of 100AD etc. and the current century runs from 1st January 2001 until December 31st 2100.

Same with the milleniums. Whilst D4S may indeed have celebrated the new millenium on 31st December 1999, he / she was in fact a year early. The last millenium ran from 1st January 1001 until 31st December 2000.

Whilst terms like the noughties (I hate that term) and the nineties are in common usages the 'decades' they represent are not the same as the decades used for statistical purposes.

The team of the noughties may well be different than the team of this decade.

Hope this helps.

The nights just roll in in my house.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Canalman

Very close imo. The fact that Tyrone have yet to defend their title plus the fact that Kerry have 1 More title would shade it imo in Kerry's favour.
2009 will settle it.

bennydorano

I'd fully expect Kerry to be there are there abouts again next year, wouldn't be so sure about Tyrone.  They are a momentum team and are very beatable in the earlier rounds of the championship.