Galway
1 (0.5%)
Dublin
3 (1.5%)
Mayo
15 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Lecale2

Who are the team of the decade? Many of the news papers are saying it is Tyrone. What do people think? Tyrone have won 3 All Irelands, Kerry have won 4. Armagh and Galway have 1 each.

Which team will be remembered as the greatest team of the 2000s?

The Voice Of Reason

Meath should be in there ahead of Dublin, since they made the '01 final ... but that's immaterial anyways...

For me it's still Kerry. They made 5 finals in a row which is a phenomonal achievement, and have been in 7 of the 9 finals played so far this decade ... winning 4. They probably hit the highest peak of all teams, particularly in '06 after the Longford game.

However I would say that Tyrone's achievement is probably greater. They were fighting against a hundred years of tradition. For every county, apart from Kerry, I think it's incredibly difficult to be consistently competitive, simply down to tradition. In Kerry they need to win probably 4 or 5 All-Irelands before being recognised as legends. The Tyrone players were already legends in their own county since '03, and rightly so. However this makes it very hard for such teams to have the same hunger and appetite to want to win more All-Irelands. That's what makes this Tyrone team special, that they can keep coming back, and winning when it's at it's most intense.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 22, 2008, 09:33:17 PM
Who are the team of the decade? Many of the news papers are saying it is Tyrone. What do people think? Tyrone have won 3 All Irelands, Kerry have won 4. Armagh and Galway have 1 each.

Which team will be remembered as the greatest team of the 2000s?

Good man Lecale, I was wondering who would be the first to pose the question. So much was at steak in last Sundays game. If Kerry had won they would be undisputed, pound for pound the best team of the last decade. However if they lost, Tyrone will always have more bragging rights (along with Armagh) that Kerry could never beat the northern team.

While at the game, as a natural, I felt that man for man Kerry were a better side; if they played football. What I mean is that if they stopped resorting to hoofing it to Donnaughy and actually played football I still believe they could play any team off the park. Forwards like the O Sullivans, Gooch etc all know how to score but they were not given the chance. But thats not how it transpired. Pat O Shea didnt implement a plan B and Tyrone romped home to victory. That said Dooher and Sean Kavanagh were outstanding on the day and im not taking anything away from their win.

All said im still in two minds. Tyrone have been outstanding in the last decade. Mugsey, Canavan and Dooher were all fantastic players. It's a tough question but im leaning towards Kerry.

ONeill

Really should be Kerry. The Tyrone monkey eats into that though and I think they're both worthy of the title. From 01-05 Armagh were often in the top 2. In 03 and 05 Tyrone and Armagh were the top 2 sides.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 22, 2008, 10:09:52 PM
All said im still in two minds. Tyrone have been outstanding in the last decade. Mugsey, Canavan and Dooher were all fantastic players. It's a tough question but im leaning towards Kerry.

Understand that. As a neutral I would say Kerry; but then, were someone to remind me that thrice they tried and thrice they were denied against Tyrone I'd then say that how can a team be team of the decade and yet be unable to beat another specific team? On balance, in 2008, still Kerry, but, but, if we win SAM in 2009 it's definitely Tyrone.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Down Gael

Kerry have been the most consistent team of the decade. They may not win it next year, but they will still be there or there abouts. They are the benchmark.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Down Gael on September 22, 2008, 11:25:12 PM
Kerry have been the most consistent team of the decade. They may not win it next year, but they will still be there or there abouts. They are the benchmark.
And they've tried 3 times and failed 3 times to beat a team?

Down Gael

You could also say that Tyrone tried twice in a week (and failed) to beat a side that couldnt get out of Division 3. (Even with Pat McEnaney doing all he could for you  ;))

Credit were credit is due, Tyrone are worthy winners, but they have a long way to go to be spoken of in the same breath as Kerry. The GAA has been on the go a lot longer than 10 years, although our neighbours think it only came into existence in 2002.

Down Gael

3 Sams and counting we`re on your tail Kerry? WTF.  Maybe if you win every All Ireland for the next 30 years you could say you are on Kerrys tail, until then cop yourself on.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Down Gael: get lost loser (and what the fcuk is a 'tale'?).

Down Gael

Maybe I imagined standing in Croke Park in 1986, maybe that penalty went into the net instead of high into the Canal end, maybe Spillane didnt inspire that comeback.

Fact you have beat Kerry in two All Ireland finals, before 2003 Tyrone had only ever played in 2 All Ireland finals and lost both of them. Form is temporary, Class is permanent. Now shouldnt you be out celebrating? Celebrate while you can, because is doesnt last forever, we know that better than anyone.

In the Onion Bag

Lads, please take a chill pill and stick to the question.

I present nothing more that pure facts.  Kerry have four, Tyrone have 3 (so far) and there is another year to go this decade.  

The fact is that Kerry are in the lead but 2009 could pull Tyrone into the chase.  Then, and only then, could can the 3 Tryone victories over Kerry be used as an eliminator.  Meanwhile its Kerry, no argument.

6th sam

Quote from: Down Gael on September 22, 2008, 11:31:54 PM
You could also say that Tyrone tried twice in a week (and failed) to beat a side that couldnt get out of Division 3. (Even with Pat McEnaney doing all he could for you  ;))

Credit were credit is due, Tyrone are worthy winners, but they have a long way to go to be spoken of in the same breath as Kerry. The GAA has been on the go a lot longer than 10 years, although our neighbours think it only came into existence in 2002.

Tyrone have  beaten Kerry in all 3 championship encounters this decade.The fact that Kerry have won 1 more AI in that time has to be considered in the context that their passage to the latter stages is much easier than Tyrone's.The fact that the AI is weighted in favour of Kerry,means that the only satisfactory way of comparing the two teams is by judging them on their 3 championship battles over that time.
Your comments on Tyrone's matches with Down is an insult to your own county,who played so heroically in Omagh,and eclipsed that performance in Newry,in the best match of the season.Tyrone also played exceptionally well that night,but were beaten by the better team on the night.Their  collective response to that defeat and the adversity they have had to endure over the past 10 years is the reason why they are champions,and the team of the decade.As a proud Down man I salute and envy Tyrone.

Down Gael

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 22, 2008, 11:50:18 PM
I present nothing more that pure facts.  Kerry have four, Tyrone have 3 (so far) and there is another year to go this decade.  

The fact is that Kerry are in the lead but 2009 could pull Tyrone into the chase.  Then, and only then, could can the 3 Tryone victories over Kerry be used as an eliminator.  Meanwhile its Kerry, no argument.

Well said ITOB, we`ll continue this one after the 2009 AIF, until then I would like to congratulate Tyrone on yesterdays win over Kerry.

Fear ón Srath Bán, its good to see that a fairweather supporter like yourself managed to get a ticket for yesterdays game. I notice you are a bit touchy about the defeat in Newry. Maybe its because you werent there  ;) Still you can always ay you didnt see Tyrone lose this year.

INDIANA

tyrone have beaten kerry 3 times this decade; thats the bottom line onion bag. Tyrone, its a no brainer.