tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

QuoteWho'll be the next Tyrone player to sport a beard for this game?

Should we make the final I think all fans should sprout one as a show of solidarity, well the male fans anyway!

ziggysego

Quote from: under the bar on August 18, 2008, 10:43:59 AM
QuoteWho'll be the next Tyrone player to sport a beard for this game?

Should we make the final I think all fans should sprout one as a show of solidarity, well the male fans anyway!

And Mickey should shave ;)
Testing Accessibility

Model Hammer

My young lad was so terrified of meeting the Dubs again that he was over the moon with this result. I tried to promote the logic that as Tyrone beat that Dublin team by 12 points that we should therefore be very worried about them, but he didn't see my point at all .....

I think he's more relieved that he won't have to see and hear the Hill of Blue again, or endure the taunts of (yes, yes, a tiny but vocal minority of morons posing as) Dublin fans on the walk back to the car .....

..... were we to lose, of course  ;)

orangeman

Fermanagh, Down and Armagh have all tried and failed to beat Wexford this year -

Down have already put us out of the championship this year.

So caution is needed !

ONeill

Remember well the game in Wexford Park in 2002, our only previous championship meeting with the Model. A kevin Hughes goal sneaked us over the line on a day we could easily have been dumped out. Tyrone seem to find Wexford's style of play tough to counteract, as evidenced again in the NFL semi a few years ago when they turned us over. So, plenty of motivation for Tyrone and in no way will they underestimate the side that knocked Down and Armagh out, comfortably!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

I am in no way predicting a Tyrone win. Wexford have a great team and no doubt Forde will be stomping at the bit to embarrass Ricey and Gormley.

Tyrone will not play the same against Wexford as they did against Dublin, Wexford won't let them. A much closer game and one which will go down to the line. No doubt the whole country will be behind Wexford.
Testing Accessibility

nrico2006

QuoteRemember well the game in Wexford Park in 2002, our only previous championship meeting with the Model. A kevin Hughes goal sneaked us over the line on a day we could easily have been dumped out. Tyrone seem to find Wexford's style of play tough to counteract, as evidenced again in the NFL semi a few years ago when they turned us over. So, plenty of motivation for Tyrone and in no way will they underestimate the side that knocked Down and Armagh out, comfortably!

Hopefully Tyrone will perform against Wexford as they did against Dublin, because it won't be easy but they still should have too much for Wexford.  As for beating Armagh, it was far from comfortable as the Orchard County were coasting until the 62nd odd minute when Forde found the net, and Wexford hit a purple patch soon after at a time when it was too late for Armagh to come back.  
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

It'll be interesting to see what changes Mickey will make in the days before the game. Hard to see Holmes not retaining his place. Will Devine pay for the goal? Doubt it as his intelligent kick-outs are an asset. Can't see many changes in the forward division too with Penrose an excellent 2nd half option.

How fit is Forde? He seemed to be finding it tough going for large parts of the Armagh game and he said afterwards it was pure adrenaline that saw him through. Lyng, Banville, Barry and Byrne are good footballers and will take watching. It's quite feasible to say that Wexford have more attacking options than the Dubs had.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on August 18, 2008, 12:22:37 PM
It'll be interesting to see what changes Mickey will make in the days before the game. Hard to see Holmes not retaining his place. Will Devine pay for the goal? Doubt it as his intelligent kick-outs are an asset. Can't see many changes in the forward division too with Penrose an excellent 2nd half option.

How fit is Forde? He seemed to be finding it tough going for large parts of the Armagh game and he said afterwards it was pure adrenaline that saw him through. Lyng, Banville, Barry and Byrne are good footballers and will take watching. It's quite feasible to say that Wexford have more attacking options than the Dubs had.

There's nothing wrong with him !

That's a bluff !

Doohicky

Anyone know when the tickets will be going on sale on Ticketmaster?

Was a great day out on Saturday (Even if I did seem to be the only Tyrone supporter in my section) and want to make sure I get my ticket in plenty of time.

clarshack

Quote from: ONeill on August 18, 2008, 11:08:38 AM
Remember well the game in Wexford Park in 2002, our only previous championship meeting with the Model. A kevin Hughes goal sneaked us over the line on a day we could easily have been dumped out. Tyrone seem to find Wexford's style of play tough to counteract, as evidenced again in the NFL semi a few years ago when they turned us over. So, plenty of motivation for Tyrone and in no way will they underestimate the side that knocked Down and Armagh out, comfortably!

i recall tyrone were very much hanging on at the end in that match in 2002, and probably should have been beat. was probably a sign of things to come with the sligo debacle just around the corner.

match report here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/2030878.stm

feetofflames

I would have muched preferred to be playing one of the other two teams in the semif final.  Wexford played scintillating stuff against Armagh and Down and yet everyone since has been talking about their capitualtion in one half to the Dubs.  Wexford will test Tyrone to the very limit and have every put in more consistent performances than Tyrone this year.  I have also a sneaking feeling that they are getting a little more luck and bounce of the ball than their oppositions. Dublin fell away against Tyrone, they became a characture of all their failings under Pillar and they disintegrated.  I have no doubt that winning your province has now become a huge disadvantrage to most teams with Sam intentions.  I fully expect Kerry to take out the last provincial winner - the rebels next week.  I think of all the teams left in the championship Wexford would still be my second favourites behind Kerry. Heres why...
1) Jason Ryan can advance plan a game and his team are taught how to win their next game - smart guy - His battle with Harte will be fascinating
2) Wexfird have nothing to lose and have the template of Fermanagh from 2004 to know it was and can be possible but you just need to take the opportunity to win the game when it comes up - I believe thisn chance will come Wexfiords way.
3) Great forward line with Matty Ford almost a foil for some of the other great talents
4) They were the top team in Leinster this year but for an implosion of freak proportions would have been toe to toe with the dubs -  Quite obviously they are out the other side of that defeat, it has strengthened them -  in other words they will not implode again.  
5) They can beat Armagh defensively  and outscore Down
6) One things for sure If Tyrone manage to defeat them Tyrone have defeated the Leinster teams, Louth, Westmeath, Dublin and Wexford, or if Wexford will have defeated Down, Armagh and Tyrone in other words one of these teams will be regarded as being the on form champions of the opposites province ie Tyrone better than Leinster best or Wexfords better than Ulster best.    
7) Both teams have winning momentum and the best managements left in the competition.
Chief Wiggum

ONeill

What's Wexford's record in both NFL and SFC this year? It must be the best in the country.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on August 18, 2008, 01:52:12 PM
What's Wexford's record in both NFL and SFC this year? It must be the best in the country.

Have they beaten every Northern team they've met ?

feetofflames

People might say this match has a tremendous novelty factor.  These are the same people that are interested in looking for novelty factors. Fcuk them and their novelty factors.  Some people say that Wexford have nothing to lose - its almost a disclaimer.  Wexford have an awful lot to lose - a tilt at Sam in the final, so anybody that tells you that Wexford have nothing to lose tell them to fcuk off and wise up.  Wexford will not be thinking about going in with gay abandon and leaving with their heads held high.  Tyrone have been shit the last 2 years and they could go back to being shit again.  Wexford are good enough to beat Tyrone and make it to an AI final so they'll damn sure not want to lose.   Having seen Wexford this year twice Im telling you the novelty factor will be that Tyrone need to be prprerd for a baatle royal or they will be the next big shock in the championship.  Wexford wont have to stop Tyrone, who have had one good hour this 3 years Tyrone will have to stop Wexford who have had at least 4 good hours this year,  
Chief Wiggum