Kerry v Throne AIQF - Saturday July 1st

Started by Ciarrai_thuaidh, June 26, 2023, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: yellowcard on June 26, 2023, 07:41:27 PM
Nine times out of ten Kerry would have won that match in 2021 but everything fell Tyrone's way on the day and fair play to them for capitalising. But they've produced nothing since then to back it up. Man for man Kerry are much superior to Tyrone and I actually think they will win this very comfortably as Tyrone are not great in defence.

Yeah two men black carded and a month of disrupted training leading up to it  (nights with only 14/15 training) - everything really went their way to fluke the win. Bit of ignorance round Armagh as to how things work at the business end of the season.

WT4E

For me it all hinges on David Clifford.

If he can be nullified Tyrone will win
If he's at the races Tyrone are goosed.

It's that simple IMO

bennydorano

Quote from: WT4E on June 26, 2023, 09:59:07 PM

It's that simple IMO
I agree 100%. Who would be Tyrone's best option to man mark DC? Hampsey & McNamee are 2 outstanding defenders but i dont think they've the legs for him. Mckernan gets a yellow within 2 minutes.
Looks like a job for Meyler from my outsider's eye viewpoint.

HokeyPokey

Nine times out of ten Kerry would have won that match in 2021 but everything fell Tyrone's way on the day and fair play to them for capitalising. 

As others have pointed out, Tyrone's preparations were not ideal to say the least, Tyrone were down to 14 for 20 minutes and Kerry should have had multiple black cards too.

Man for man Kerry are much superior to Tyrone and I actually think they will win this very comfortably as Tyrone are not great in defence.

This is the sort of discourse which we saw in the 00s too. Yes, Tyrone doesn't have anyone quite as good as Clifford, but outside of that it's foolish to say Kerry are man for man better. It's debatable at best.

HokeyPokey

It's that simple IMO

He played well in the 2021 game too, but he also gave away the balls which directly led to Tyrone's goals. Worth noting he only scored 0-3 and 0-1 from play in the league matches against Tyrone since 2021.

I don't think it's that simple, he can still play well and end up losing. Tyrone have plenty of firepower up front too and have mostly been playing man to man this year. It's an intriguing battle.

restorepride

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 26, 2023, 07:37:37 PM
So...surely there's 100 pages in this one given the history!

It's funny, wouldn't half as confident as I was of a win going into the 2021 Semi final. But can see us winning if David Cliff, Seánie and Paudie are on song. Midfield area is the big concern for me. And who is going to mark Darragh Canavan. Tom Sull would normally take McCurry with Foley on Donnelly but Tom may need to take Darragh Canavan. Don't see another viable option.

Going to be interesting as always anyway!
Why do you have Tyrone on a 'Throne'?!  Freudian slip?!!! 

WT4E

Quote from: bennydorano on June 26, 2023, 10:04:38 PM

It's that simple IMO
I agree 100%. Who would be Tyrone's best option to man mark DC? Hampsey & McNamee are 2 outstanding defenders but i dont think they've the legs for him. Mckernan gets a yellow within 2 minutes.

Probably Hampsey but he's not in form this year.
Meyler a great spoiler but more a man to take a playmaker out of it rather than a sharp scoring forward. Paudie Clifford went to bed after the league match in Omagh picking Meylers Ginger hairs out of his teeth.

HokeyPokey

It's that simple IMO

I'd presume Hampsey. Hampsey is actually very quick. I'll be interested to see what Tyrone do. You'd assume there would be a sweeper, but Tyrone have tended to go man for man. I'm not sure who has been on Clifford in the two league games since 2021, but he scored 0-3 and 0-1 from play in those games. So I'd assume whatever was done on those days will be deployed again.

tyrone08

Interesting to see what Kerry do with Tyrone's forwards. They have to somehow keep both canavans and McCurry quite. Not to mention petey and Mattie who usually pop up for a few scores. Throw in a rotation of either Kennedy or Kilpatrick now and again in the forward line and Kerry have their work cut out.

Scoring Zone

Huge pressure on Kerry imo (already crying abut covid protocols from 2 years ago on socials) - Tyrone have Beaten Kerry in the last 4 games. (League in Edendork '20, AISF'21, League in Killarney '22 and this year), defending AI champs, they need to beat Tyrone and Jack really needs it as well. Tyrone have been stammering through the year and whilst Donegal have been a basket case it was a game they where expected to win well and it was the first time they have shown their teeth did what was expected. The matchups look to be class contests, McNamee and 3 others on DC, Meyler and Paudie, Hampsey on O'Shea, Foley on Donnelly, but the key matchup is who do Kerry match O'Sullivan on he's different class.

Personally if (and its a big if) they can keep Clifford hassled and crowded, then he tends to run out of steam abit, coupled with a tally of around 2-18 and the sight of the green and gold, Tyrone by 3-4

WT4E

Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 26, 2023, 10:24:10 PM

It's that simple IMO

I'd presume Hampsey. Hampsey is actually very quick. I'll be interested to see what Tyrone do. You'd assume there would be a sweeper, but Tyrone have tended to go man for man. I'm not sure who has been on Clifford in the two league games since 2021, but he scored 0-3 and 0-1 from play in those games. So I'd assume whatever was done on those days will be deployed again.

Hampsey was one the picking him up in Omagh this year in the league

thewobbler

Mayo showed how to play Kerry a month ago. Just accept that Clifford is going to get 7-10 scores. Don't worry about that, for it's inevitable. Just make sure everyone else gets on top of their opponent, and keep them on the back foot.

Tyrone are well fit for this, especially now Darragh Canavan has blossomed, and McCurry continues to put up big numbers in an oddly anonymous sort of way. Clifford is the best player I've ever seen, but two free scoring forwards is better than one.

RedHand88

I think it will be Hampsey on D Clifford (which will decide the match), with Meyler on Paudie.

RedHand88

Mental how Tyrone are going for 5 in a row against Kerry in all competitions. Must be a first surely.

BennyHarp

It's that simple IMO

I don't think the job on Clifford decides the match. I honestly think nobody can mark him out of the game if he's on song, so the key for Tyrone is doing their best with Clifford but trying to shut down O'Se and Paudie. If Clifford kicks 0-9 then so be it, the difference will be if O'Se and Paudie chip in with 8 or 9 between them, then we're in trouble. We have done a decent job of snuffing them out in recent games and nobody else in the Kerry forward line or midfield really worries me. The question is, what are Kerry going to do about the Canavan's, McCurry,  Donnelly and the Tyrone midfield?
That was never a square ball!!