galway v donegal

Started by cornetto, July 19, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 01, 2015, 12:03:38 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2015, 11:18:19 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 31, 2015, 11:16:16 PM
Michael Murphy is out of the match tomorrow according to Brendan Devenney on UTV Ireland there.

Donegal playing games?

Possibly, but it's not like they are going in against Mayo or Dublin, no need to play mind games when they are playing a team that they should be accounting for.
Murphy was clearly injured against Monaghan, I did raise the possibility of Donegal saving Murphy for the Mayo game next week, Donegal might fancy that they have enough on the pitch without him to win tomorrow as it is.

That wont happen if he can play. If he cant play tomorrow he won t be a lot better along a week later either.
Huge test for the Donegal system if they have to go without Lacey and Murphy. Their defence will still be tough. This will be the first time the likes of Cummins and Comer get a taste of the McGees and Co? How they get on could decide this gig.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on August 01, 2015, 12:21:25 AM
Michael Murphy is out of the match tomorrow according to Brendan Devenney on UTV Ireland there.

Donegal playing games?

Possibly, but it's not like they are going in against Mayo or Dublin, no need to play mind games when they are playing a team that they should be accounting for.
Murphy was clearly injured against Monaghan, I did raise the possibility of Donegal saving Murphy for the Mayo game next week, Donegal might fancy that they have enough on the pitch without him to win tomorrow as it is.

That wont happen if he can play. If he cant play tomorrow he won t be a lot better along a week later either.
Huge test for the Donegal system if they have to go without Lacey and Murphy. Their defence will still be tough. This will be the first time the likes of Cummins and Comer get a taste of the McGees and Co? How they get on could decide this gig.

He won't be any worse the following week if he misses  a full blown intercounty game (if they make it to the next day). Rest is rest, even if it is only a week. In Murphys case three weeks instead of two.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2015, 12:42:17 AM

Donegal playing games?

He won't be any worse the following week if he misses  a full blown intercounty game (if they make it to the next day). Rest is rest, even if it is only a week. In Murphys case three weeks instead of two.

I know but this is Galway. A team that has already beaten Derry and Armagh and would never fear a county like Donegal - or anybody. Donegal looked a bit weary v Monaghan. More than a bit actually and the fact Monaghan hung on after an easier run to Ulster final is worrying for them too imo.
Now they go in against an improving Galway. Factor in that provincial losers don t go well and this is not a game that Galway should be losing really. This is set up for them if there are going to become a top team again anytime soon.

Whitnail

If those injuries are true then were up against it
& Galway +3 @5/6 look like a gifthourse.

Donegal need McFadden to come good but I personally have been waiting for that to happen for two years & it's just not going to happen.

Don't know how Galway will set up.
We have been trading blankets with Ulster teams thus far & breaking too slow. We still have players but alot of them might be mind drifting to another  possible 16 point tanking to Mayo the following week.
Its just another one of those games to be played & stumbled over but it's such an impossible route this year that that attitude catches up with players mentally & understandably so.

Neither team need extra time that's a gimme.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 01, 2015, 01:06:10 AM

Donegal playing games?

I know but this is Galway. A team that has already beaten Derry and Armagh and would never fear a county like Donegal - or anybody. Donegal looked a bit weary v Monaghan. More than a bit actually and the fact Monaghan hung on after an easier run to Ulster final is worrying for them too imo.
Now they go in against an improving Galway. Factor in that provincial losers don t go well and this is not a game that Galway should be losing really. This is set up for them if there are going to become a top team again anytime soon.

'This is Galway'. That's a bit like the 'this is Mayo' stuff thrown at ye when the pressure's on. All I see is a young team with talent and holes in equal measure. There is no great swagger about Galway anymore and there hasn't been for many years now.

This is an inexperienced Galway team (at the level you're expecting them to perform at) with a fragile FB line. Murphy gone gives them a chance but the likes of McBrerty and I assume McFadden can still expose those weakenesses.

If Galway lose this game comprehensively it's hard to make the case they made much progress at all this year despite a bit of hoopla about Walsh improving the defence. They're about to get a test they haven't seen since the Mayo game and Hanley and company failed badly that day.

Lenient refereeing on Hanley was about all that stopped that one from getting out of hand because for all of the good stuff going forward when balls went in to AOS there was absolute panic in the Galway defence, and Walsh felt he had no better option on the bench.

If Galway step up in the FB line they have a chance but if they leak a goal Donegal will shut up shop and hold them at arm's length.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 01, 2015, 01:55:08 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 01, 2015, 01:06:10 AM

Donegal playing games?

'This is Galway'. That's a bit like the 'this is Mayo' stuff thrown at ye when the pressure's on. All I see is a young team with talent and holes in equal measure. There is no great swagger about Galway anymore and there hasn't been for many years now.

This is an inexperienced Galway team (at the level you're expecting them to perform at) with a fragile FB line. Murphy gone gives them a chance but the likes of McBrerty and I assume McFadden can still expose those weakenesses.

If Galway lose this game comprehensively it's hard to make the case they made much progress at all this year despite a bit of hoopla about Walsh improving the defence. They're about to get a test they haven't seen since the Mayo game and Hanley and company failed badly that day.

Lenient refereeing on Hanley was about all that stopped that one from getting out of hand because for all of the good stuff going forward when balls went in to AOS there was absolute panic in the Galway defence, and Walsh felt he had no better option on the bench.

If Galway step up in the FB line they have a chance but if they leak a goal Donegal will shut up shop and hold them at arm's length.

Not a bit like that and you should know that Sy. Galway are streets ahead of us when it comes to entitlement. Galway have old money in the bank and are high society in the game. We are not, even though we are more consistent as regards being competitive.
Their fb line is probably better than ours and it comes down to the durability of their middle third and how their ff line does against the McGees. It will be a test for Comer in particular. I doubt his discipline.
I m amazed McFadden is still going at this level never mind being a somebody to look to do extra. McBrearty is the one to cope with but McFadden has been only a weapon when he can be freed up for his point taking ability. But without a fit Murphy he is unlikely to get many chances to get opportunities to pull the trigger. He is very markable if he is a go to player - even by a much smaller player.

seafoid

Galway are at home in Croke Park, like a regular seat in a favorite pub whenever they are in town no matter how long the absence.

magpie seanie

galwayman

How bad is Murphys injury lads?
I dread the damage he could do if put in on top of Finian.

galwayman

That definite Seanie?
A big blow for Donegal no doubt.

sligoman

Quote from: donegal lad on July 31, 2015, 08:23:27 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 31, 2015, 07:58:15 PM
Durcan, 2 McGees, McGrath,  R McHugh,  Thompson,  McGlynn,  Gallagher, McElhinney,  MacNiallais,  Toye, M McHugh,  C McFadden,  Murphy,  McBrearty

Thompson in for Lacey, otherwise unchanged.

I read that O'Connor had done his knee again.

Heard jigger damaged his kneecap. He's been really unlucky this year with injuries

Eoghan ban Gallagher been introduced to the subs bench for this game, was really impressed with him last year at minor level

Is he the only one of last year's minor side to get a call up for the Donegal team so far? McBrearty's brother was impressive last year too, how is he coming along?

twohands!!!

Galway have probably conceded the most frees of any teams in the Championship - even if Murphy did nothing but walk around, not having him on the pitch to kick frees would be a massive plus for Galway.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2015, 04:57:30 AM
Galway are at home in Croke Park, like a regular seat in a favorite pub whenever they are in town no matter how long the absence.

Well that's one seat that ye have regularly fell off on ye're rare appearances over the last 14 years! Take off the blinkers!

magpie seanie

Quote from: galwayman on August 01, 2015, 08:39:17 AM
That definite Seanie?
A big blow for Donegal no doubt.

From a pretty reliable source from the same neck of the woods as Murphy. I'd be very surprised if he was wrong.

ballinaman

Got Galway at 5/2 yesterday. They 2/1. Worth a few bob lads!