galway v donegal

Started by cornetto, July 19, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onlooker11

What do people think the attendance will be for the double header? If they get 30k Ill be amazed

From the Bunker

Quote from: ck on July 28, 2015, 04:40:42 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 20, 2015, 11:55:21 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 06:01:28 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 05:56:04 PM
Quote from: ck on July 20, 2015, 02:21:32 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2015, 02:15:43 PM
I'm happy the games in Croker, will suit Galway better.

Really? How so? Donegal have played in Croke park regularly over the past few years!

From a Sligo point of view I'm delighted to get a Croke Park game. Yeah there are more neutral venues but the double header is attractive and will attract more neutral supporters. I'll be there with bells on, Tyrone hot hot favs. Way to have it.

I doubt that.
A match between Donegal and Galway in Castlebar would get thousands of Mayo people alone attending. Altogether would get 20,000+

Agreed, Mayo people would go to this to see their potential QF opponent and a lot more would be just GAA heads and go to see a good game. Being honest it's really about the Corporate boxes and Vendors at Croke Park. Even with a small crowd, Burgers and drink have to be sold and profits made. Not all the money earned comes from tickets sales.

I was under the impression hat Croke Park needed a crowd of 30,000+ to break even.

If that's the case then they may well be on to a loser. I for one will not be travelling to a cavernous 2/3 empty Croke Park, with all the atmosphere of a shopping centre car park, for a game that will see me home at around midnight on a bank holiday weekend.

Croke Park may well have no respect for us but at least I get the chance to say "No way José".

What a loyal supporter you are Bluestack. ..I'd say you'd take a different attitude if All-Ireland final tickets were being handed out.

Loyalty is one thing! Stupidity is another! As BSB says it will be virtually midnight when he gets home from headquarters. I'm sure he'd love to be there. But the round trip is madness for a last 12 game! A Bank Holiday weekend should not be taken up spending most of your time on the road. It should be relax time. This fixture is for the convenience of the Sky TV cameras. Not for the Fan. So If i was a fan I'd take full advantage of Sky TVs Cameras!

Aaron Boone

Quote from: onlooker11 on July 28, 2015, 04:51:29 PM
What do people think the attendance will be for the double header? If they get 30k Ill be amazed

I'll go for 14 thousand or so. In Croker that will mean lots of empty space.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: J70 on July 27, 2015, 05:44:58 PM
Lacey confirmed out for this game. Murphy and McBrearty, according to Rory Gallagher (in the Times) are fit.

Presumably Thompson into the half-back line and Frank McGlynn moves to centre back. Simplest, most obvious switch.

Whatever the knee injury he had coming into the Monaghan game I doubt playing 70 minutes helped it. I'd be amazed if 2 weeks later he's managed to get himself fully fit.

I've seen a few comments elsewhere that suggest there's a few problems in the Donegal camp although it's funny how we never hear of problems when a team is winning, a defeat seems to bring out all the negatives.

As for the game I'm hoping Comer is switched to centre half forward, he will provide more of a physical edge than Conroy.

I do think it's a tough game for Donegal mentally, it's a game they weren't expecting and I'd imagine they'd have been preparing for a 3 week break after beating Monaghan not a 2 week break after a defeat. I'm hoping this may give Galway the edge.

Mayo4Sam14

Shane Walsh is back right?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Duine Eile

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 28, 2015, 10:47:44 PM

He is but I think he'll start this game on the bench, he's only had about ten minutes game time since his injury. If he was to start it would probably involve completely restructuring the half and full forward line. The most likely player to be dropped is probably Ó Griofa (personally I think I'd drop Conroy, but that won't happen) so do management put Lundy back in the corner and move Conroy to the wing? Hard to know!

Nihilist

Walsh was Galway's best player last year. If he is fit enough he should start. I understand the theory about it being his first proper game back etc. but Galway should start with their strongest possible 15 and I would include Walsh in that. Personally I would move Conroy back to the edge of the square. I think that's his most dangerous position and he is a good target man. I would put Comer to the corner  with a somewhat free role and Lundy going to 1/2 fw line with his pace.

onlooker11

The lack of goal chances Donegal are making is a big worry for me. Not even a sniff against Monaghan. The O'Reilly goal against Derry was well taken and our only chance iirc. Goals win games!

Mayo4Sam14

When are the teams set to be announced?

Duine Eile

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 29, 2015, 12:54:52 PM

Galway team is to be announced Thursday evening, usually around half 8 or 9 o'clock. Can't see too many changes from the team that was named to play Derry, one change at most I'd imagine if Shane starts.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 28, 2015, 11:38:11 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 28, 2015, 10:47:44 PM

He is but I think he'll start this game on the bench, he's only had about ten minutes game time since his injury. If he was to start it would probably involve completely restructuring the half and full forward line. The most likely player to be dropped is probably Ó Griofa (personally I think I'd drop Conroy, but that won't happen) so do management put Lundy back in the corner and move Conroy to the wing? Hard to know!

I agree about Walsh.

Conroys form is a worry, he's been very average so far in the championship. His free taking is very hit and miss too, Sice has done a good job with the frees from right hand side and has started to take the frees that are central too.

Conallach

Galway could sneak this one. They're not a bad team at all, have an excellent set of forwards and pretty good midfielders to boot.

Even if the lads grind out a win, I'd fear a horrible outing against Mayo the next day. I can't see them ramping the performance levels up enough in that time.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Conallach on July 29, 2015, 02:03:28 PM
Galway could sneak this one. They're not a bad team at all, have an excellent set of forwards and pretty good midfielders to boot.

Even if the lads grind out a win, I'd fear a horrible outing against Mayo the next day. I can't see them ramping the performance levels up enough in that time.

If we beat Donegal we won't be playing Mayo unless Sligo beat Tyrone which is very difficult to see happening.

rosnarun

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 29, 2015, 02:07:05 PM
Quote from: Conallach on July 29, 2015, 02:03:28 PM

If we beat Donegal we won't be playing Mayo unless Sligo beat Tyrone which is very difficult to see happening.

Maybe in the Final . now that would be a game for the Ages
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 29, 2015, 01:20:05 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 29, 2015, 12:54:52 PM

Galway team is to be announced Thursday evening, usually around half 8 or 9 o'clock. Can't see too many changes from the team that was named to play Derry, one change at most I'd imagine if Shane starts.

Is it not a Wednesday for a Saturday game?