galway v donegal

Started by cornetto, July 19, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 06:01:28 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 05:56:04 PM
Quote from: ck on July 20, 2015, 02:21:32 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2015, 02:15:43 PM
I'm happy the games in Croker, will suit Galway better.

Really? How so? Donegal have played in Croke park regularly over the past few years!

From a Sligo point of view I'm delighted to get a Croke Park game. Yeah there are more neutral venues but the double header is attractive and will attract more neutral supporters. I'll be there with bells on, Tyrone hot hot favs. Way to have it.

I doubt that.
A match between Donegal and Galway in Castlebar would get thousands of Mayo people alone attending. Altogether would get 20,000+

Agreed, Mayo people would go to this to see their potential QF opponent and a lot more would be just GAA heads and go to see a good game. Being honest it's really about the Corporate boxes and Vendors at Croke Park. Even with a small crowd, Burgers and drink have to be sold and profits made. Not all the money earned comes from tickets sales.

I'd go if it was local but thousands would be massively pushing it. A few hundred die-hard GAA neutrals at best would attend.

moysider

A very attractive tie Sy. Maybe not as much interest amongst Rossies.

Hell I even had a carload go watch Sligo v Roscommon already and they are hardly A listers.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 08:04:42 PM

A very attractive tie Sy. Maybe not as much interest amongst Rossies.

Hell I even had a carload go watch Sligo v Roscommon already and they are hardly A listers.

I've been at a few of these 'attractive' R4 matches and finding a neutral is like finding a Mayoman with an AI medal.

Farrandeelin

And what about Ros men with AI medals??

Galway will beat Donegal. They have great tradition in Croke Park. (well not recently, but I do think they'll win).
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Yip. Galway are a Croke Park team.

DJGaliv

This is definitely Mayo's year lads. Look how they have destroyed everyone in Connacht.

This will be a huge test for Galway. I'm sure if on the off chance Galway win it'll no doubt be the refs fault again. Unfortunately I feel this Donegal team will put an end to our destruction of Ulster football.

Great to have Shane Walsh back, but with Murphy back fully fit I fear we will be on the end of a Donegal return to form.

From the Bunker

Quote from: DJGaliv on July 20, 2015, 10:33:27 PM
This is definitely Mayo's year lads. Look how they have destroyed everyone in Connacht.

This will be a huge test for Galway. I'm sure if on the off chance Galway win it'll no doubt be the refs fault again. Unfortunately I feel this Donegal team will put an end to our destruction of Ulster football.

Great to have Shane Walsh back, but with Murphy back fully fit I fear we will be on the end of a Donegal return to form.

There is one comment that sticks in the throat of Mayo people when we beat Galway - Go on and win an AI now! The subtitle of this is ye may have beat us but ye won't win an AI.

This is definitely Mayo's year lads. Would run that comment close and is a jibe with the same subtitle!

DJGaliv

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 10:40:57 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on July 20, 2015, 10:33:27 PM

There is one comment that sticks in the throat of Mayo people when we beat Galway - Go on and win an AI now! The subtitle of this is ye may have beat us but ye won't win an AI.

This is definitely Mayo's year lads. Would run that comment close and is a jibe with the same subtitle!

Oh no, don't be confused, there is no subtitle. This is purely a jibe

moysider

Whatever. The reality is though that Galway have been nowhere near a top team since football was reinvented in 2002. However the smugness and superiority will persist for some time yet.

Still this is a game Galway can win. Especially if Murphy is still bandaged up.

The trick will be to be patient enough and disciplined. It can t have been easy for the Galway lads in Salthill listening to some of the fans roaring at them to kick the ball in long and early when they are probing for openings. What are these fans watching and what do they expect to happen if the ball is kicked into a massed defense?? Retaining possession and being patient won the Derry game.

You have to wonder how yon Comer will respond to the er..um.. 'attention' of young McGee. I assume he's a steady chap.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 10:27:57 PM

r

Having not won a game there since 2001 I'd beg to differ.

We've a small chance, I do think Donegal will find it hard to get up for the game though, that's only natural. To what extent we won't know until game day but given certain players have looked tired and the energy that was there against Armagh has disappeared. Mentally they will have prepared for a 3 week break after the Ulster a Final until the quarter final, I'd like to think this will help Galway too.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2015, 11:10:30 PM

r

We've a small chance, I do think Donegal will find it hard to get up for the game though, that's only natural. To what extent we won't know until game day but given certain players have looked tired and the energy that was there against Armagh has disappeared. Mentally they will have prepared for a 3 week break after the Ulster a Final until the quarter final, I'd like to think this will help Galway too.

This week Donegal will feel like shite. But once the week is over and they head toward the game the following week they will be a lot more settled. In the old days the six day turn around was a killer both mentally and physically. Still a great game for Galway. They will learn a lot about themselves playing a team like Donegal.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 11:17:25 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2015, 11:10:30 PM

r

This week Donegal will feel like shite. But once the week is over and they head toward the game the following week they will be a lot more settled. In the old days the six day turn around was a killer both mentally and physically. Still a great game for Galway. They will learn a lot about themselves playing a team like Donegal.

Hence my disappointment when McBrearty kicked that wide. I'd have been feeling confident meeting either Monaghan or Donegal if they'd gone to a replay.

BluestackBoy

Really? How so? Donegal have played in Croke park regularly over the past few years!

From a Sligo point of view I'm delighted to get a Croke Park game. Yeah there are more neutral venues but the double header is attractive and will attract more neutral supporters. I'll be there with bells on, Tyrone hot hot favs. Way to have it.

I doubt that.
A match between Donegal and Galway in Castlebar would get thousands of Mayo people alone attending. Altogether would get 20,000+

Agreed, Mayo people would go to this to see their potential QF opponent and a lot more would be just GAA heads and go to see a good game. Being honest it's really about the Corporate boxes and Vendors at Croke Park. Even with a small crowd, Burgers and drink have to be sold and profits made. Not all the money earned comes from tickets sales.

I was under the impression hat Croke Park needed a crowd of 30,000+ to break even.

If that's the case then they may well be on to a loser. I for one will not be travelling to a cavernous 2/3 empty Croke Park, with all the atmosphere of a shopping centre car park, for a game that will see me home at around midnight on a bank holiday weekend.

Croke Park may well have no respect for us but at least I get the chance to say "No way José".
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Rossfan

The 4A games are being held at neutral venues in between the 2 Counties concerned.
Don't know why the same couldn't be done with the 4Bs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 20, 2015, 11:55:21 PM

I doubt that.

I was under the impression hat Croke Park needed a crowd of 30,000+ to break even.

If that's the case then they may well be on to a loser. I for one will not be travelling to a cavernous 2/3 empty Croke Park, with all the atmosphere of a shopping centre car park, for a game that will see me home at around midnight on a bank holiday weekend.

Croke Park may well have no respect for us but at least I get the chance to say "No way José".

Fair play to ye. I wouldn t drive to an empty CP for a qualifier in a fit. It will hardly be watchable on tv either. Full of echoes and pigeons.