galway v donegal

Started by cornetto, July 19, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

There'll be a poor enough atmosphere at these - should have been fixed for Breffni / Brewster / McHale

Canalman

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 02:20:23 PM
The GAA always sells itself as being of the people. For the local community. But you have to wonder at dragging Donegal an Galway people up to Croker when McHale Park is available. There would be an atmosphere and many would make a weekend of it. Both counties have big ties with Mayo. But it looks like the Corporate boxes need to be accommodated.

Fix the match for Mayo or Roscommon/ Tullamore etc and the two counties would go berserk about not playing in CP.
Broohaha  from Mayo about having to suffer playing  a replay in Limerick last year probably fresh in the mind.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: ck on July 20, 2015, 02:21:32 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2015, 02:15:43 PM
I'm happy the games in Croker, will suit Galway better.

Really? How so? Donegal have played in Croke park regularly over the past few years!

From a Sligo point of view I'm delighted to get a Croke Park game. Yeah there are more neutral venues but the double header is attractive and will attract more neutral supporters. I'll be there with bells on, Tyrone hot hot favs. Way to have it.

Donegal all year will have expected to be in Croker for a quarter final appearance on the 2nd weekend in August not for a qualifier on the 1st weekend. They may find it difficult to get up for this game mentally, it depends which way you look at it;it may turn out to be the perfect tonic for them and give them a left as opposed to playing in McHale park. Only time will tell.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Canalman on July 20, 2015, 02:25:37 PM
The GAA always sells itself as being of the people. For the local community. But you have to wonder at dragging Donegal an Galway people up to Croker when McHale Park is available. There would be an atmosphere and many would make a weekend of it. Both counties have big ties with Mayo. But it looks like the Corporate boxes need to be accommodated.

Fix the match for Mayo or Roscommon/ Tullamore etc and the two counties would go berserk about not playing in CP.
Broohaha  from Mayo about having to suffer playing  a replay in Limerick last year probably fresh in the mind.

This is a qualifier game! The game in Limerick was an AI semi-final played in one of the teams province!  As a dub you know nothing about having to travel to Championship matches, so i would not expect you to understand this.

Canalman

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 02:36:33 PM

This is a qualifier game! The game in Limerick was an AI semi-final played in one of the teams province!  As a dub you know nothing about having to travel to Championship matches, so i would not expect you to understand this.

Except for 1983 AISF replay of course.

Sidney

We've had three senior championship matches at provincial venues already this year and it'll be four next Sunday.

Syferus

Are you serious or just winding up the Rhus?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sidney on July 20, 2015, 03:44:52 PM

We've had three senior championship matches at provincial venues already this year and it'll be four next Sunday.

Wake up! This is the football section of Gaaboard.com Hurling has little or nothing to do with anything here! Jez, talk about throwing in a red herring!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Canalman on July 20, 2015, 02:53:21 PM

Except for 1983 AISF replay of course.

1983, lets see that's 32 years ago! You are going to give me any example 32 years old. Feck you are scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Sidney

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2015, 03:51:03 PM

Wake up! This is the football section of Gaaboard.com Hurling has little or nothing to do with anything here! Jez, talk about throwing in a red herring!
Somebody from a county which doesn't take hurling seriously like Mayo would say that. I was under the impression that the two games were run by the one organisation, but sure what do I know.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sidney on July 20, 2015, 04:02:02 PM

Somebody from a county which doesn't take hurling seriously like Mayo would say that. I was under the impression that the two games were run by the one organisation, but sure what do I know.

True, nothing to do with Mayo or this conversation. Move on!

moysider

Maybe, but its a bit like American Football and Baseball being run by same organisation.
Look I've nothing against hurling. Sometimes I even watch a game.

moysider

Really? How so? Donegal have played in Croke park regularly over the past few years!

From a Sligo point of view I'm delighted to get a Croke Park game. Yeah there are more neutral venues but the double header is attractive and will attract more neutral supporters. I'll be there with bells on, Tyrone hot hot favs. Way to have it.

I doubt that.
A match between Donegal and Galway in Castlebar would get thousands of Mayo people alone attending. Altogether would get 20,000+

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 05:04:34 PM

Maybe, but its a bit like American Football and Baseball being run by same organisation.
Look I've nothing against hurling. Sometimes I even watch a game.

I have nothing against hurling either, I bring my kids to play for the parish club. It's a good game, but it is more foreign to me than Soccer.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 05:56:04 PM

I doubt that.
A match between Donegal and Galway in Castlebar would get thousands of Mayo people alone attending. Altogether would get 20,000+

Agreed, Mayo people would go to this to see their potential QF opponent and a lot more would be just GAA heads and go to see a good game. Being honest it's really about the Corporate boxes and Vendors at Croke Park. Even with a small crowd, Burgers and drink have to be sold and profits made. Not all the money earned comes from tickets sales.