Ulster SFC 2014

Started by quiganmaster, April 20, 2014, 09:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 29, 2014, 02:45:53 PM
IMO the best forward in Ulster is Jamie Clarke.  If he was playing for one of the top teams he would be unstoppable.  Michael Murphy simply doesn't score enough from play.  McFadden would be more important to Donegal.   

Disagree. Murphy is used variously as a ball-winning, scoring forward, a playmaker and a midfielder. Not his fault he doesn't get the opportunities McFadden does.

our_fella

Poland - Down
Murphy - Donegal
McManus - Monaghan
Clarke -  Armagh

You could nearly have an argument about all these players saying they're the best in the province, but they usually play in different ways

Banter Panther

Not sure what to make of Ulster right now. It's certainly the most equitable province at the moment, but does that make it the best provincial championship? Is any team in Ulster going to win Sam? I highly doubt it. The top four contenders are all outside of Ulster in my opinion. Winning Streak is equitable and unpredictable, but I don't go out of my way to see it.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

oakleafgael

Quote from: our_fella on April 29, 2014, 03:40:28 PM
Poland - DownMurphy - Donegal
McManus - Monaghan
Clarke -  Armagh

You could nearly have an argument about all these players saying they're the best in the province, but they usually play in different ways

Hows things Mark?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Banter Panther on April 29, 2014, 03:57:15 PM
Not sure what to make of Ulster right now. It's certainly the most equitable province at the moment, but does that make it the best provincial championship? Is any team in Ulster going to win Sam? I highly doubt it. The top four contenders are all outside of Ulster in my opinion. Winning Streak is equitable and unpredictable, but I don't go out of my way to see it.

With half the division 1 teams next year made up of Ulster counties, i'd think that is a decent barometer to what province is the best.

screenexile

Quote from: oakleafgael on April 29, 2014, 03:58:52 PM
McManus - Monaghan
Clarke -  Armagh

Hows things Mark?

I have to say that was definitely one out of left field there!!

You're forgetting a certain E Bradley...

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2014, 04:02:41 PM
McManus - Monaghan
Clarke -  Armagh

Hows things Mark?

Is it really?? He destroyed Derry in the 1st game at Celtic Park last year. Few better 11's (in the playmaker role) in Ulster. I wouldnt exactly call Lynch a playmaker, more a powerhouse!

J OGorman

Quote from: Banter Panther on April 29, 2014, 03:57:15 PM

Leinster - 1 horse race
Munster - 1/2 horse race
Connaght - 1 horse race
Ulster - 4/5 horse race with half Div 1 made up of Ulster teams would make be believe its the best. The winner of Sam most likely to come from the 1 horse race Leinster championship

Schkite

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 29, 2014, 02:39:18 PM
Quote from: Schkite on April 29, 2014, 02:32:31 PM
Quote from: God14 on April 23, 2014, 09:46:25 AM
Donegal are the team to beat. They will have recovered from the hangover from Sam in 12. They retain that defensive system that will smother the life out of any attack in Ulster, and the boast the No.1 forward in the province - by a country mile as well.

Id be tempted to completely rule Derry out of the equation altogether. It was obvious that they were well ahead of everyone else in their physical preparations this year. Participating in the O'Fiaich (sp) Cup before Christmas, and busting a gut in the McKenna cup. Their players openly admit they feared humiliation in Division 1 so that extra training, adrenalin & a dollop of luck has taken them to the League final. That will only take you so far. Id predict a short summer for them, closely followed by calls for the return of the Bradleys.

Tyrone will be tough to beat in Ulster. For my money they have the most resources available to any County attackwise, but too many questions & problems to be sorted out in Defence & Midfield. To be honest I think Tyrone may have went backwards a little from last year. I think they will come up short against Donegal or possibly Monaghan (who are due a bit of luck against Tyrone) in the latter stages.

Will be keeping a close eye on the development of Cavan. The rest of the teams are capable of winning a match, but not the championship

I predict Donegal to triumph, in a reverse of last years final versus Monaghan.

Just seen this and I couldn't agree. Best or not is subjective, but "by a country mile" is simply not true.

K. Hughes cant be far off the best at present!

Kieran has improved a good bit yes, but McManus is undoubtedly our top forward. Again, they're fairly different players, Hughes is a fine target man with a great pair of hands and very strong, but can still be wasteful at times. He missed a few in the first half yesterday for example. On the other hand it was nearly one of McManus's quieter days on the ball, but he is so efficient. Aside from the free he missed(which I thought Beggan should have come up for at that distance) I don't think he wasted anything, and took 3 fine scores from play.

Aristo 60

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2014, 04:02:41 PM
McManus - Monaghan
Clarke -  Armagh

Hows things Mark?

+1 ......

......E Bradley is in an (Irish) league of his own  ::)

Wildweasel74

Murphy the best player in Ulster and in the top 3 in the country, burn out possible counting against him, no matter how good you are you go through lean spells, just ask B Brogan, he was poor for long spells last year but came good when it mattered

God14

Just reading back through this thread & the Ulster Championship panning out as most of us expected (except maybe for the Derry lads)
Maybe its not as unpredictable as we make it out to be.

God14

Quote from: God14 on April 23, 2014, 09:46:25 AM
Donegal are the team to beat. They will have recovered from the hangover from Sam in 12. They retain that defensive system that will smother the life out of any attack in Ulster, and the boast the No.1 forward in the province - by a country mile as well.

Id be tempted to completely rule Derry out of the equation altogether. It was obvious that they were well ahead of everyone else in their physical preparations this year. Participating in the O'Fiaich (sp) Cup before Christmas, and busting a gut in the McKenna cup. Their players openly admit they feared humiliation in Division 1 so that extra training, adrenalin & a dollop of luck has taken them to the League final. That will only take you so far. Id predict a short summer for them, closely followed by calls for the return of the Bradleys.

Tyrone will be tough to beat in Ulster. For my money they have the most resources available to any County attackwise, but too many questions & problems to be sorted out in Defence & Midfield. To be honest I think Tyrone may have went backwards a little from last year. I think they will come up short against Donegal or possibly Monaghan (who are due a bit of luck against Tyrone) in the latter stages.

Will be keeping a close eye on the development of Cavan. The rest of the teams are capable of winning a match, but not the championship

I predict Donegal to triumph, in a reverse of last years final versus Monaghan.

Well boys, things have went according to plan. A few derry WANs didn't like the wisdom of god14 & the above post and challenged the legitimacy of it. Wonder wil they have the courage to address the facts now.

armaghniac

How's the development of Cavan getting on?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B