Dublin V Mayo, Saturday 29th March2014. Croke Park 7.00 pm.

Started by moysider, March 19, 2014, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on March 19, 2014, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 19, 2014, 06:08:16 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on March 19, 2014, 06:06:07 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 19, 2014, 05:56:10 PM
Oh the old days, I remember football before it became netball.

Indeed clothes lines and lads getting eyes gouged out  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D never gets old ...................................any vids of whelan and brady lumping each other ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgTQzy7VDtY

The commentary on this is brilliant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw

Only one man did any lamping that day buck.

moysider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 19, 2014, 05:01:11 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 19, 2014, 04:51:35 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 19, 2014, 04:41:01 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 19, 2014, 04:32:39 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 19, 2014, 03:42:14 PM
Unlike Rosnarun (who hates everything Ballina and would have Cafferkey cooling his heels) this is not a parochial thing. Doesn t matter to me where a lad is from as long as he can play.

He doesn't seem to like men from Louisburgh either! ;)
Ya Ros, you need to let it go. Whatever might have happened, be it a dodgy curry chip from Tastymacs, getting kicked out of the pulse, shifting a Spanish student on fireworks night that turned out to be a Maughan from behind the font , a clip in an U14 blitz..these things happen, we're sorry.

I would say he's more from the era of Archies , Mr Chips , Caffollas , the Deanwood , Rugby Club Disco and Belleek castle. ;D
I as Ballina man Ros am not sorry by the way so quit your whinging! ;D

A night out in Balinyaaa would traumatise any man. Going to "the north Mayo capital"  ::) ::) ::) is our personal Vietnam.

"North-Mayo Capital" always gives me a chuckle, what next, Belmullet self styling itself the North-West Mayo capital!

Reminds me of the old Bono interview. Many years ago the great one was asked if there were any places U2 would not play again?

'yes' he says ' Beirut and Ballina'

His first gig in Ballina... er...... um.... didn t go the distance  ;D

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 19, 2014, 08:31:37 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D never gets old ...................................any vids of whelan and brady lumping each other ???

Not so sure bucko !!!!!!!!!! I think whelan gave brady his fill of it too ...............................imho both whose bark are worse than there bites

muppet

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on March 19, 2014, 10:26:02 PM

Not so sure bucko !!!!!!!!!! I think whelan gave brady his fill of it too ...............................imho both whose bark are worse than there bites

He clothes-lined McGarrity iirc, hence Brady's meet and greet.
MWWSI 2017

squire_in_navy_slacks

moysider

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on March 19, 2014, 10:30:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDqczn_rhao

theatrics from brady ...............abbey actor, (and I like the guy)

Ye gotta love him but not the Ballina man we need nowadays!

Cue another round of bitchin. But no, I m not goin to let it go.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on March 19, 2014, 10:28:46 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on March 19, 2014, 10:26:02 PM

He clothes-lined McGarrity iirc, hence Brady's meet and greet.

He thought he was in the WWF and it wasn't Pandas he was interested in.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 19, 2014, 02:10:17 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 19, 2014, 12:16:03 PM
Yearrah stop muddying the waters Lar with all that stuff.
Nobody is saying JH is not the best man to manage the team. At least I m not.

You say you know next to nothing about some young fella and then say it s in nobody's interest if he refuses to rejoin the panel! Have you ever even seen him play?

I would suggest it is a lot of people's interest he rejoin. Anybody that cares about Mayo football anyway.
Just get the best players involved period. Do you really think that a lad that played on one leg for his county U21 team last week would refuse to be involved in the senior set up?
It doesn t take a Henry Kissinger to work this out.
C'mon moy, you should know by now that I'm not trying to stir anything up.
I'm afraid you are very wide of the mark with everything you've said about me above.
I did say "it's in nobody's interest if he refuses to re-join the panel" and you retort by saying, "I would suggest it is a lot of people's interest he rejoin."
So where's the difference?
According to my concept of logic, we're both saying exactly the same thing.
If you think we're not, maybe you'd tell me why.
I mean if it' in nobody's interest if he refuses to re-join then it logically follows that it's in everyone's interest that he should.

BTW, I was at pains to say he wasn't dropped because of injury but the bro felt this could well have been the reason-that's all.

You say, "Just get the best players involved period." And here am I scratching my butt and trying to figure out where I said anything to the contrary. I cant spot it but if you can, let me know.
Am I saying that, "Do you really think that a lad that played on one leg for his county U21 team last week would refuse to be involved in the senior set up? "
Well, I am or at least I was but I'm going by what you and a few others have had to say on the  subject on (very) numerous occasions in the past.
Take what maigheo had to say at the beginning of his last post, "Jeez Moy I know you are probably only hopping balls  but you have to let the Regan thing go.The simple fact is that it is his own choice that he is not on the panel."
I notice you have not contradicted this.
So, will you do so now or will you accept that the bolded bit is true?

I interpreted that to mean that it was nobody s interest or business if he was in the panel or not.
I accept that I picked you up wrong there.
I do not accept that the bold bit is true. He was cut from the panel when he was fit and well. In fact he was flying. The Sunday before he was dropped he scored 3 goals from play and there was speculation that he was going to start next championship match. Somebody decided to teach him a lesson or something and here we are.

Unlike Rosnarun (who hates everything Ballina and would have Cafferkey cooling his heels) this is not a parochial thing. Doesn t matter to me where a lad is from as long as he can play.
Fair enough moy, I know I hadn't expressed myself very well. When I went back and read what I had written again, I realised that it could be interpreted the wrong way.
My apologies, mo shean chara,  I'll try to be less woolly-headed in future.(Well, I try anyway but I probably won't succeed.
But I'm still  confused about the relationship between the player and the manager.
Going what I read in earlier topics it seems that Horan invited him to rejoin the panel but Evan had decided not to make himself available for selection- at least not until the U 21 season was over.
It looks as if he hasn't taken up the invitation- if, in fact, there was one in the first place.
Do you know the true story? What's stopping him re-joining the panel. Is it the manager or the player?
True enough, I never saw him play but from what I've read about his form for the U 21s, he should be given a place on the panel. God above, Mayo could do with a few good forwards at the moment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 19, 2014, 11:19:21 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 19, 2014, 02:10:17 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 19, 2014, 12:16:03 PM
Yearrah stop muddying the waters Lar with all that stuff.
Nobody is saying JH is not the best man to manage the team. At least I m not.

You say you know next to nothing about some young fella and then say it s in nobody's interest if he refuses to rejoin the panel! Have you ever even seen him play?

I would suggest it is a lot of people's interest he rejoin. Anybody that cares about Mayo football anyway.
Just get the best players involved period. Do you really think that a lad that played on one leg for his county U21 team last week would refuse to be involved in the senior set up?
It doesn t take a Henry Kissinger to work this out.
C'mon moy, you should know by now that I'm not trying to stir anything up.
I'm afraid you are very wide of the mark with everything you've said about me above.
I did say "it's in nobody's interest if he refuses to re-join the panel" and you retort by saying, "I would suggest it is a lot of people's interest he rejoin."
So where's the difference?
According to my concept of logic, we're both saying exactly the same thing.
If you think we're not, maybe you'd tell me why.
I mean if it' in nobody's interest if he refuses to re-join then it logically follows that it's in everyone's interest that he should.

BTW, I was at pains to say he wasn't dropped because of injury but the bro felt this could well have been the reason-that's all.

You say, "Just get the best players involved period." And here am I scratching my butt and trying to figure out where I said anything to the contrary. I cant spot it but if you can, let me know.
Am I saying that, "Do you really think that a lad that played on one leg for his county U21 team last week would refuse to be involved in the senior set up? "
Well, I am or at least I was but I'm going by what you and a few others have had to say on the  subject on (very) numerous occasions in the past.
Take what maigheo had to say at the beginning of his last post, "Jeez Moy I know you are probably only hopping balls  but you have to let the Regan thing go.The simple fact is that it is his own choice that he is not on the panel."
I notice you have not contradicted this.
So, will you do so now or will you accept that the bolded bit is true?

I interpreted that to mean that it was nobody s interest or business if he was in the panel or not.
I accept that I picked you up wrong there.
I do not accept that the bold bit is true. He was cut from the panel when he was fit and well. In fact he was flying. The Sunday before he was dropped he scored 3 goals from play and there was speculation that he was going to start next championship match. Somebody decided to teach him a lesson or something and here we are.

Fair enough moy, I know I hadn't expressed myself very well. When I went back and read what I had written again, I realised that it could be interpreted the wrong way.
My apologies, mo shean chara,  I'll try to be less woolly-headed in future.(Well, I try anyway but I probably won't succeed.
But I'm still  confused about the relationship between the player and the manager.
Going what I read in earlier topics it seems that Horan invited him to rejoin the panel but Evan had decided not to make himself available for selection- at least not until the U 21 season was over.It looks as if he hasn't taken up the invitation- if, in fact, there was one in the first place.
Do you know the true story? What's stopping him re-joining the panel. Is it the manager or the player?
True enough, I never saw him play but from what I've read about his form for the U 21s, he should be given a place on the panel. God above, Mayo could do with a few good forwards at the moment.

Ná bac leis a Láir.
I dunno how this has got to this. I believe that the lad was invited with other younger lads to take part in a conditioning programme in October. Likes of young Coen, Loftus, O Shea, O Connor lets say. He declined because he d already done a lot of that stuff and anybody that has seen him lately will know he has enough done. A lot of young lads do too much, lose pace and flexibility and end up useless.
It s not like he was given a special individual invitation. Edit; I m sure the request was by text and reply likewise.
I ve seen him play twice recently. In what turned out to be an U21 team that was way undercooked. Yet he scored goals that had mammies and daddies of the other lads from south, east and west , skaking their heads and asking 'what the hell is going on'?
The thing is we are very close. And I remember the October bloodletting too many times. Willie Feeley's ladeens in 2006 and last year James Horan being grilled by a fellow clubman ( I suspected that to be a bit of a plant tbh, doin a devil's advocate) about issues arising from last years AI final.
I d prefer to ask the questions now. October should be about oktoberfest not about wondering about ifs, buts, and maybes.

Never beat the deeler

Sorry for going a bit off topic here, but I was watching the Derry v Dublin game last night and can't find a game thread.

As I was watching the game I noticed that every time Alan Brogan got the ball, he took 7 steps before hopping it in between steps 7 and 8.

Now, before everyone comes in here pointing out 'sure, such and such a fella does that too", I'm sure lots of forwards do it. It seemed quite obvious with Alan, as when he got the ball the last day, he went straight to beat his man - 3 steps to get to the man, holds the man off with one hand as he's running around his outside shoulder taking a further 3-4 steps.

It happened so often it seems like a conscious effort - this is as many steps I can get away with without giving a free.

With the rules as they are now (rightly) awarding attacking play, we can see high scores throughout the league, maybe there should be a focus on the amount of steps taken. How is a defender supposed to legally tackle if the ball doesn't leave the hands any time that the forward is in striking distance?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Ohtoohtobe

I remember being at a training session where the coach told us we can get away with extra steps if we do it the same way Alan Brogan does. The trick is, he said, on your fourth or fifth step to start making an action to bounce the ball, but you don't need to complete it until your seventh or eighth step. Very few refs will blow. This was a few years ago and I didn't see the Derry game so I don't know if he still does it this way.

rosnarun

i seemed to have touched on a nerve there with a little throw away remark .
i would defend my point of view on caff, hes not a bad player  but just not very good at catching Kicking or hand passing  .  but hes quick and sticky ill give him that.
as for Regan his great mate continues to hang him on his own evidence 'declined because he d already done a lot of that stuff'
and you can bring up my old debates with out mentioning Golden , L brady, devenny and ruane , 
and i never remember championing Conroy. the others would have been better bets at the time. WJP in particular was very badly treat by mayo
I reject any ballina bias as i had the utmost respect for Machale ,ger brady, david brady, Mcgarrity

Candles, Pearls and Archies would sum it up alright
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on March 20, 2014, 12:57:36 AM
I remember being at a training session where the coach told us we can get away with extra steps if we do it the same way Alan Brogan does. The trick is, he said, on your fourth or fifth step to start making an action to bounce the ball, but you don't need to complete it until your seventh or eighth step. Very few refs will blow. This was a few years ago and I didn't see the Derry game so I don't know if he still does it this way.

That's pretty much it. He runs to the shoulder of the man, and while holding him up with his near hand, he starts to bring the ball up to shoulder height with his other hand as if he was going to hop it but this doesn't happen (well it isn't completed) for another 4 steps.

What hope are defenders supposed to have. You need a second tackler on the ball-holding side.
Hasta la victoria siempre

maigheo

I see Pat Holmes has stepped down as Castlebar manager.I guess it is all set up for him to step in when James Horan completes his final year in charge of Mayo,hopefully after annexing Sam next September.

larryin89

Quote from: maigheo on March 20, 2014, 02:15:28 AM
I see Pat Holmes has stepped down as Castlebar manager.I guess it is all set up for him to step in when James Horan completes his final year in charge of Mayo,hopefully after annexing Sam next September.

My first thought on Monday after the club final was , Holmes will not get the hot seat now, his job was to figure out how to stop Connolly run riot after the first half minimum , he did nothing to address the problem.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .