Dublin V Mayo, Saturday 29th March2014. Croke Park 7.00 pm.

Started by moysider, March 19, 2014, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteWhy would Derry be fearful, they've been producing the more consistent performances throughout the league.

I saw them against Cork. They are too slow.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2014, 11:20:58 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on April 01, 2014, 09:33:58 PM
QuoteI've rarely watched a game whereby we so outplayed and outnumbered

QuoteSecondly First  ten minutes of the second half you had enough chances to be 10-12 points up.

And the amazing thing is everyone is concerned about Mayo's performance.

QuoteTo me that indicates a serious lack of confidence in themselves and a serious lack of confidence in what the management is telling them to do.

That's a typical over reaction to Mayo result. You see what your not grasping is this is a league match in March. You said it yourself that winning the league means nothing to Mayo and your right. This league is about getting a team ready for a crack at an All Ireland and whether we lost or won by 12 point the last night it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Do you remember the 2011 league final. For all the talk about a new Dublin they coughed up an 8 point lead to lose by a point. Didn't matter much when it came to the finishing straight in the AI final that year

QuoteYou should watch re-watch the first 30 minutes of the AI final last September. Same thing. Different year- same old story.

10 wides to 9 in favour of Dublin in the first half of the final. You know what. Some time the ball goes wide in Football. Why is it such a big error for a Mayo man to kick it wide but not a Dub.

Quotemost Dublin fans hate the sight of you if I'm brutally honest with you.

I taught winning last years final would help ye get over 2006 and 2011. Obviously not.

The difficulty I have with your post above is this - this is the same old story that we've seen from the same bunch of players for the last three years. You can't just take 2014 in isolation. You have to ask yourself are these guys improving?

No in my view a lot of them aren't. You've some brilliant players in Higgins and Keegan.

And you've others like O Se who could be great but still wants to run through six players instead of popping it off to better positioned team-mates.

Lads taking pot shots from sideline balls when they've a ten percent chance of scoring like Cillian O Connor did.

Whether you like it or not they are decisions that cost you games and cost you medals. And you'd wonder are the management team ruthless enough to nail lads to the cross at a video session for those errors.I can't speak for Gavin as I don't know him personally but I do know Gilroy hammered the Dublin lads until they did what he wanted them to do and he just got rid of the ones who wanted to be individuals.

Cant help thinking if you had someone like that in charge he'dget you over the line.

Management seem to be thick and ruthless enough with some players anyway. But like you I can t understand how a few of our best players are allowed to indulge themselves to the detriment of the team.

O Connor is not one of those. I was begging him to go for that sideline btw. He would have a 50:50 chance on those or even better and he killed the ball. But some of the other shots selected were extremely poor in choice and execution.

criostlinn

QuoteThe difficulty I have with your post above is this - this is the same old story that we've seen from the same bunch of players for the last three years. You can't just take 2014 in isolation. You have to ask yourself are these guys improving?

And I ask you again. What is this story. Anyone who follows this team has seen obvious signs of improvement in this team but yet you want to judge everything on the negative points of a draw with the all Ireland champions. What is the same old story with Mayo. They were described by some as the most cynical team ever two years ago and some like yourself pissed and moaned for 12 months about how we closed out the semi final in 2012.

QuoteAnd you've others like O Se who could be great but still wants to run through six players instead of popping it off to better positioned team-mates.

Aidan O'Shea was odds on to be player of the year going into last years final. He had one bad day and now he's dismissed as lost of huffing and puffing, effing and blinding but very little to show for all  the effort involved.. Aidan has come on leaps and bounds under the stewardship of James Horan and I can guarantee you if Mayo do anything this summer it will be Aidan who'll lead the charge.

QuoteLads taking pot shots from sideline balls when they've a ten percent chance of scoring like Cillian O Connor did.

That's the first time I've heard a Cilian effort described as a pot shot. INDIANA I can guarantee you one thing. A sideline effort trailing wide in a league match in March most certainly does not cost you medals. But when these efforts go over come championship they certainly can win you big games. I'm sure you remember Ciaran Mc and Maurice Fitz. You see yet again your picking out one single incident from a game and using it to come up with all sorts of conclusions.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on April 01, 2014, 11:52:10 PM
O Connor is not one of those. I was begging him to go for that sideline btw. He would have a 50:50 chance on those or even better and he killed the ball.

Agreed - he scored two massive sideline balls from either side of the pitch last year down in Cork.

rosnarun

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 02, 2014, 07:51:31 AM
Quote from: moysider on April 01, 2014, 11:52:10 PM
O Connor is not one of those. I was begging him to go for that sideline btw. He would have a 50:50 chance on those or even better and he killed the ball.

Agreed - he scored two massive sideline balls from either side of the pitch last year down in Cork.
Probably wasnt on telly so it didn't really happen
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

INDIANA

Quote from: criostlinn on April 02, 2014, 12:05:50 AM
QuoteThe difficulty I have with your post above is this - this is the same old story that we've seen from the same bunch of players for the last three years. You can't just take 2014 in isolation. You have to ask yourself are these guys improving?

And I ask you again. What is this story. Anyone who follows this team has seen obvious signs of improvement in this team but yet you want to judge everything on the negative points of a draw with the all Ireland champions. What is the same old story with Mayo. They were described by some as the most cynical team ever two years ago and some like yourself pissed and moaned for 12 months about how we closed out the semi final in 2012.

QuoteAnd you've others like O Se who could be great but still wants to run through six players instead of popping it off to better positioned team-mates.

Aidan O'Shea was odds on to be player of the year going into last years final. He had one bad day and now he's dismissed as lost of huffing and puffing, effing and blinding but very little to show for all  the effort involved.. Aidan has come on leaps and bounds under the stewardship of James Horan and I can guarantee you if Mayo do anything this summer it will be Aidan who'll lead the charge.

QuoteLads taking pot shots from sideline balls when they've a ten percent chance of scoring like Cillian O Connor did.

That's the first time I've heard a Cilian effort described as a pot shot. INDIANA I can guarantee you one thing. A sideline effort trailing wide in a league match in March most certainly does not cost you medals. But when these efforts go over come championship they certainly can win you big games. I'm sure you remember Ciaran Mc and Maurice Fitz. You see yet again your picking out one single incident from a game and using it to come up with all sorts of conclusions.

Well I've tried but you lads are the ones 50 years plus without an AI and it's not hard to see why quite frankly.
Best of luck for the season but I've no doubts you're going to come up short again barring a complete u-turn on certain things.

highorlow

Quotea complete u-turn on certain things

well there is one Mayo man an expert at that.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go