Ulster Under 21 Championship

Started by Farneylawd2011, December 03, 2013, 10:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

Derry captain this year is Brian Og McGilligan who has had his fare share of injury problems.

Story courtesy of derrygaa.ie

It's hard to describe just how resilient the human spirit can be. Often it's easier just to give examples. Consider then, Brian Óg McGilligan.

A young man on the launching pad of an adult career in Gaelic football in the summer of 2011, McGilligan suffered a horrific knee injury in a minor club championship game.

Having made his senior club championship debut at eighteen years of age just the week before, and having played midfield for Derry minors three months previous, McGilligan had the GAA world at his feet.

However, as he lay in a post operation hospital bed, thoughts of Gaelic games were temporarily pushed to one side as the extent of the injuries became clear. Complete kneecap reconstruction is potentially life quality affecting stuff.

"The consultant had told him not to have too much hope of playing again," explains Derry GAA chairperson John Keenan.

"I visited him in the Royal that summer and he told me he'd be happy enough to be able to walk un-assisted again as a first step. However, you could see the positive attitude the lad had even at that low point for him. It's served him well since.

"He would later receive all the assistance which was possible but it was clear that he was intent on taking full responsibility for his own injury and his recovery. He's a mature young lad and a fantastic role model to any young athlete, or indeed any person."

A dual star with club, county and school, the St Patrick's Maghera pupil went on to join the student body of St Mary's University College the following year.

Having just got back onto his feet, McGilligan tried out for the university freshers' football team under Paddy Tally, just as the Tyrone man joined Brian McIver and Paddy Crozier in the newly appointed Derry senior football setup.

"He just broke down," Crozier explains.

"It was hardly surprising but when I realised the full extent of the situation, I was very keen to see what could be done."

Integrated into McIver's set-up, and with Paddy Crozier as u21 manager, Brian Óg had full access to Derry's medical team to assist his rehabilation.

"The medical people worked tirelessly with him. It was a long, lonely road for him but he did absolutely everything that was asked, and to the last letter of instruction. Great credit must go to Maria McCullagh, Ann [Boylan] and Conan [Loughrey] and Dr Paul John McCormack. Along with Anthony Begley, who began to add the strength once the rehab work was underway, they got him back on track again."

With a tough encounter ahead of them in the Ulster U21 championship against Cavan, Crozier was in no doubt who he wanted to lead the team as captain, and why.

"Listen, for that lad to be even playing club football, never mind county football is a massive achievement for him. He has led by example and typifies the single-minded determination, which is necessary to succeed at this level. That's why he is captain.

"Our job is to give every young footballer who has the desire and ability to play at inter-county level every assistance to achieve their potential. With a bit of luck he has a long and successful career ahead of him," concludes Crozier.

In what is an inspirational story of resolve and determination, every supporter of Derry GAA will rejoice at the news of McGilligan's full recovery, and share Paddy Crozier's hopes for the future.

Welcome back Brian Óg

Captain Obvious

Quote from: orangeman on March 10, 2014, 10:03:41 AM
Tyrone are favourites for this followed by Cavan. Derry aren't bring given a life at all which is a bit strange as they have a very decent side.

The likely Ulster winner should be Tyrone or Cavan. Armagh had a good minor team in 2011 not sure will that count for much at this level.

orangeman

The day has arrived.

Derry v Cavan.

Derry win for me.

J OGorman

Quote from: orangeman on March 12, 2014, 12:05:03 AM
The day has arrived.

Derry v Cavan.

Derry win for me.

pre black card, with the time cavan put into collective u-21 training etc id have popped for a tight win for cavan. this year with more open , less restrictive football ie less time needed to nial down a tight defensive game plan, derry could nick this one with the players they have

mylestheslasher

Cavan by 6 I reckon. Just too good for Derry. I hope Joe Brolly doesn't throw out the dummy afterwards.

rodney trotter

Would take a 1pt win. Unless you have seen Derry this year...

orangeman

Derry are in the long grass. Perfect ambush conditions.

skeog

donegal have put serious work into this years u21 side under rory gallagher and maxi curran part of an senior all ireland winning backroom team on the easy side of the draw will be not far away

oakleafgael

If Derry had their best team out and they prepared properly they would have a great chance of winning an Ulster title and maybe a bit more.

They don't and it will be a big enough shock if they manage a win against Cavan.

Cavan by a goal at least.

nrico2006

The big difference between the u-21 and minor each year is that every team takes minor seriously and its played at a better time of the year, but u-21 seems to be a case of the better prepared team doing well, a team with a good game plan where all the players have been together for a while and know their roles inside out.  Hence, thats why I think Donegal or Cavan will win it, even though they would not have the best individual players.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 12, 2014, 11:39:55 AM
Would take a 1pt win. Unless you have seen Derry this year...

I'd take any win. I was just making a prediction for the craic Rodney.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 12, 2014, 02:24:52 PM
u-21 seems to be a case of the better prepared team doing well, a team with a good game plan where all the players have been together for a while and know their roles inside out.

Thats the case in most team sports and huge workrate can overcome talent.

tommysmith

Don't think this Cavan team is as good as previous years, will do well to get a win tonight.

Itchy

I'm not sure I agree Tommy, better ball players on this team but have they the steel I wonder.

Westside

I think Derry's superior individual forwards will be the deciding factor. Cavan very blunt up front. I think we'll give a good account of ourselves but this fantastic run has to stop some time and I think Derry are primed to ambush us tonight.