Mickey Harte quizzed by PSNI after accusations of physical abuse at school?

Started by downandboogie, January 02, 2011, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Regardless of how true this story is, unfortunately there will be plenty of people on this board who will relish this story and that's very sad but I suppose hardly surprising given some of the comments already. I would also suggest that some people should be careful what they post for example the comment O'Neill has already highlighted!

Over the years Mickey has worked with hundreds, if not thousands of young people, it's interesting how this accusation with what appears limited evidence, makes headline news! If it's ok to accuse teachers of physical assault from a different era when rules were very different, then I might look at a few cases against nearly every teacher who ever taught me!
That was never a square ball!!

Pangurban

More sensationalist rubbish from this gutter rag of a Newspaper. I would be willing to bet that these allegations do not result in a Court hearing.

ck

I picked up the Sunday World in Fermanagh today but returned home to Sligo to notice that the story didnt make the same headline in the southern edition. Obviously the 'occupied 6' version is of an even lower quality. Although both rags feature that bollix Spillane.
This really is a nothing story by a sensationalist rag who thrive on this BS. So what if some little toe rag got a clipping, they then decide to make a case of it 32 years later?? Unreal!

mylestheslasher

Can't find one other reference to this story online which would tend to make me think now that this is something about nothing.

trileacman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 02, 2011, 11:46:01 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 02, 2011, 11:40:29 PM
Would it be let sink to the bottom if the person in the report was the Dublin or Kerry manager? Incredible! The thread should be moved to the general section. Some Ye seem to know the exact levels of physical abuse that harte is being accused of, maybe Ye could share as its not in the report. Getting a slap and getting the shite beaten out of you are both labelled physical abuse but are two totally different things. I don't know harte or the mcconvilles so no opinion either way but shutting down discussion on the matter is not on either. For what. Its worth I hope harte is innocent of these accusations.
It's quite scary that some people have learned nothing over the last couple of years when it comes to this sort of thing.
What is that suppose to mean? I take it you are referring to the claims taken against members of the clergy and lay people in the church in recent times?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

pintsofguinness

Quote from: trileacman on January 03, 2011, 11:32:46 PM
Would it be let sink to the bottom if the person in the report was the Dublin or Kerry manager? Incredible! The thread should be moved to the general section. Some Ye seem to know the exact levels of physical abuse that harte is being accused of, maybe Ye could share as its not in the report. Getting a slap and getting the shite beaten out of you are both labelled physical abuse but are two totally different things. I don't know harte or the mcconvilles so no opinion either way but shutting down discussion on the matter is not on either. For what. Its worth I hope harte is innocent of these accusations.
It's quite scary that some people have learned nothing over the last couple of years when it comes to this sort of thing.
What is that suppose to mean? I take it you are referring to the claims taken against members of the clergy and lay people in the church in recent times?
Yes and that there were people willing to rubbish those claims because they'd never believe that of the priest. The same is going on here. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 04, 2011, 12:34:06 AM
Yes and that there were people willing to rubbish those claims because they'd never believe that of the priest. The same is going on here.

And others who just can't wait to get the boot in, without waiting for a thread of proof, but rather just on the word on a largely discredited rag.
Testing Accessibility

Gaffer

Load of crap that will die a death wiithin a week but will keep the gossip mongerers entertained for a few days.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ziggysego on January 04, 2011, 12:48:08 AM

And others who just can't wait to get the boot in, without waiting for a thread of proof, but rather just on the word on a largely discredited rag.
Who's putting the boot in?

ziggysego

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 04, 2011, 01:03:57 AM

Didn't mean you, sorry.
Testing Accessibility

Don Johnson

It is not the same it is just your silly opinion.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ziggysego on January 04, 2011, 01:07:01 AM

Didn't mean you, sorry.
I know, but who do you mean because I don't see anyone putting the boot in.
"The processor" made a remark that may be seen as that, at a stretch, but I can't see anything else.
There's more paranoid tyronies (as usual) than people putting the boot in.

ziggysego

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 04, 2011, 01:12:44 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 04, 2011, 01:07:01 AM

Didn't mean you, sorry.
I know, but who do you mean because I don't see anyone putting the boot in.
"The processor" made a remark that may be seen as that, at a stretch, but I can't see anything else.
There's more paranoid tyronies (as usual) than people putting the boot in.

The OP's second remark is what I'm referring about.

Just for the second, I haven't a problem with is being a topic on the board.
Testing Accessibility

johnneycool

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2011, 08:36:48 PM
This is the bones of it:

Police questioned Tyrone manager over assault claims

Tyrone football manager Mickey Harte has been questioned by police over physical assault claims by residents of a former Catholic boys' home where he was once employed, according to the Sunday World.

The three-time All-Ireland winning Bainisteoir was interviewed by the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) Public Protection Unit over the matter, which dates back to the 1970s.

According to a report in the Sunday World, several members of the McConville family – whose mother Jean was executed by the IRA nearly 40 years ago, are among those who accused Harte of physically assaulting residents at Runbane House in Kircrubbin, Co. Down, a home for Catholic boys in care where Harte once worked as a teacher.

Willie McConville, the youngest of the McConville family, is believed to have made a statement to police accusing Harte of assault.

Harte has vehemently denied any accusations of wrongdoing and told the paper: "I am not guilty of any of these accusations and I will fight this the whole way."

The allegations come over 30 years after the offences were alleged to take place and there has been no suggestion from any of the accusers than there was any other form of abuse than physical assault.

Harte was questioned by PSNI detectives in December of last year regarding the allegations and understood to have cooperated fully with the investigation.

Runbane House has a notorious reputation for clerical sex abuse; Fr. Brendan Smyth was sentenced to ten years for his crimes in the 1990s, while charges against Brother Florence (real name Joseph Scally) were eventually dropped.

Harte has previously claimed that he was oblivious to abuse that went on in Runbane House, telling the Sunday World last year: At Runbane, I came in and went home every day, so I wasn't part of the 'Home' scene so to speak.

"I was oblivious at the time to anything that was going on. I never dreamt that anything like that was going on."

It's never looks good when a lazy reporter can't get the name of the bloody home right, it was Rubane house, on the Rubane road outside Kircubbin.

It's fact at this stage that Mickey Harte did teach PE in the school for a period and it's also a fact that Fr Brendan Smyth also plied his sick acts in the same school. I don't know if those periods overlap and whether Harte as he says himself knew of it as he lodged in a house in Portaferry most evenings.
Harte is one of many questioned over the goings on in Rubane over the years as I'm aware of the local PP's being questioned by the PSNI on this a few years back.
This fairly old news and will probably run a bit longer.

rrhf

Mickey Harte may have his critics but I see the quality of the reporting of this story as very low grade and amateur and so typical of the paper.  I think Mickey will know he will have the full support of Tyrone people and I would have thought Ulster Gaels as well on what unfortunately has the appearance of an attempt to blackguard his good name.