Sligo V Down Rd 4 Qualifier

Started by 5 Sams, July 18, 2010, 06:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Lads dont know what to expect, 6 day turnaround after this defeat i feel will be impossible to comeback from. The support for Sligo today was unreal, we outnr ros 2-1 and castlebar was a sea of black and white, we are sick, we really depresed, the support will dimish, we put everything into winning connacht, aload of players found out today, cant see us recovering. I will be there whereever it is, but cant see our lifting themselves.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

paddypastit

Tend to agree with Sligonian on Sligo as things stand for them right now.  If they can lift their heads at all though, they will see that Down this year so far have been no great shakes stumbling through the qualifiers as Leo and  'All of a Sludden' rightly put it. I would be concerned though that Down's strongest points are uncomfortably near Sligo's weakest. That is not to say that the task is impossible... but it is uphill for Sligo...
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

ross matt

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on July 18, 2010, 07:32:05 PM
With the current teams left - I expect Down to reach the quarter finals and if they draw Rosscommon - maybe the semi finals - but thats with the luck of the draw!
Obviously you dont rate the quality of both participants in today's Connacht final as highly as most other neutrals. I think Sligo will be more angry with themselves for letting a Connacht title slip rather than devastated. After all they have won a title only 3 years ago. They beat Galway and Mayo. They will get back on track as they have a point to prove. They are a better side than Down and will beat them.

rosnarun

I was at the down Offaly game saturday . not too much for Sligo to worry about. Offaly should have them put away after 10 minutes missed 3 very easy goal chance. there is a yawning chasm in the heart of the down defence
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

balladmaker

Down with a few to spare I feel.  However, the further down progress with 'handy' enough draws, the more likley a serious stuffing at a later stage.

norabeag

7pm Sat in Breffni
Sludden referee

seafoid

A bit surprised by the pessimism from the Sligo boys. Winning is about picking yourself up and standing the next day. Kevin Walsh is a good manager and if Sligo learnt some uncomfortable stuff against Ros he should be able to use it. why wouldn't sligo beat Down? Other counties like Galway or Mayo would love to be still in it. Up Connacht !

swagger

sludden is the ref? this better be a f**kin wind up!
riiiiiiiiiite

Bensars

Yeah proper order too.
An amatuer who made a genuine mistake and has been ridiculed beyond belief. The GAA offered no protection on the day or in subsequent days after. Its the least they can do.

What better way to get back on the horse then straight back into it.

imtommygunn

While he is an amateur ref he needs to be at some level held accountable for what he did.

He shouldn't be given any more games in the championship.

It's like I always said on the topic - if you're not competent enough you shouldn't be put in these positions. He has illustrated on several occassions he isn't.

That's not a terrible slight on the man. He could do a job at club level. County level has proven too far thus far for him...

(Maybe he'll have a good game who knows)

Bensars

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2010, 04:25:11 PM
While he is an amateur ref he needs to be at some level held accountable for what he did.

He shouldn't be given any more games in the championship.

It's like I always said on the topic - if you're not competent enough you shouldn't be put in these positions. He has illustrated on several occassions he isn't.

That's not a terrible slight on the man. He could do a job at club level. County level has proven too far thus far for him...

(Maybe he'll have a good game who knows)

He has been held accountable. He has obviously been demoted, now hes reffing Down V Sligo.
Punishment enough is the legacy of the decision he made. Whenever the name of Sludden is mentioned it'll be remembered for years

Cosmo Kramer

Dammit anyways, I shouldn't have fallen for that one!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

paddypastit

Couldn't agree more Cosmo. The decision is just plain wrong.

Forget altogether about the 'goal' that never was, the referee's performance in the Leinster final was inadequate in the extreme long before the 73rd minute.  His performance after the game where he showed so little awareness of what was going on that he stood on the field booking players  instead of getting off just added to the sense of someone that can't handle this type of situation.

Now he has to 'prove' himself in a high profile last ditch game for the two counties involved.  It is an absolute disgrace,  IMO, he should not be doing IC football and even he is to do so, he should be reintroduced into a winter league game and then a few lower division league games next spring so that by the time he gets anything remotely high profile, the authorities can point to him having quietly and uneventfully handled a range of games since the long past Leinster final.

Now though he is centre of attention, his error is forgiven and he is mandated to make decisions. Shocking decision.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Bensars

Would you chill out.  Can you not see its only a wind up !

On a serious note though, Its only Sligo and Down,   what damage can be done ? ;)