Ulster championsip 1st... Donegal v Down

Started by done and dusted, April 17, 2010, 11:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: shaund10 on May 07, 2010, 02:49:03 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 06, 2010, 02:29:40 PM

The "inherent cockiness" is more a comment on their self appointed kings of Ulster title  ;). Anyway the in-laws are Down people and my head was tortured after the league game!!
I think Paddy Power is being generous to Donegal with those odds and its only at that price due to our being the home team. Imo Down 10/11, Donegal at least 2/1.

Can I have 5,000 on Down and 3,000 on Donegal then so please. Ill cover the draw with someone else

Very good reason I'm not a bookie by trade!  :-*
Tbc....

RMDrive

Good to see Christy Toye back in action on Friday night in the challenge against Mayo scoring 3 points. Hopefully he'll bring a much-needed scoring threat to the HF line.

western exile

SF challenge: 08 May 2010

Mayo 1-12
Donegal 1-10

Scorers -
Mayo: Barry Moran 1-4, Conor Mortimer 0-2 (1f), Alan Freeman 0-2, Aidan Kilcoyne, Billy Joe Padden, Chris Barrett, N Douglas 0-1 each.
Donegal: Colm McFadden 1-3 (2f), Michael Murphy 0-3 (1f), Christy Toye 0-3, Rory Kavanagh 0-1.

Mayo: K O'Malley; L O'Malley, G Cafferkey, T Howley; C Barrett, D Vaughan, S Nally; R McGarrity, P Harte; A Moran, BJ Padden, M Ronaldson; A Kilcoyne, A Freeman, B Moran. Subs: C Mortimer, N Douglas, P Gardiner, K McLaughlin, K Conroy, A Dillon.

Donegal: P Durcan; F McGlynn, N McGee, K Lacey; B Dunnion, B Monaghan, C Greene; K Cassidy, R Kavanagh, F McNulty, C Toye, M McElhinney; D Walsh, M Murphy, C Dunne.
Subs: C McFadden, E McGee, J Keaney, S Griffin.

Referee: F Flynn (Leitim).

Is that the most likely starting lineup for Donegal v. Down?  Surely Colm McFadden will start  ???

J70

Quote from: western exile on May 12, 2010, 03:09:56 PM
SF challenge: 08 May 2010

Mayo 1-12
Donegal 1-10

Scorers -
Mayo: Barry Moran 1-4, Conor Mortimer 0-2 (1f), Alan Freeman 0-2, Aidan Kilcoyne, Billy Joe Padden, Chris Barrett, N Douglas 0-1 each.
Donegal: Colm McFadden 1-3 (2f), Michael Murphy 0-3 (1f), Christy Toye 0-3, Rory Kavanagh 0-1.

Mayo: K O'Malley; L O'Malley, G Cafferkey, T Howley; C Barrett, D Vaughan, S Nally; R McGarrity, P Harte; A Moran, BJ Padden, M Ronaldson; A Kilcoyne, A Freeman, B Moran. Subs: C Mortimer, N Douglas, P Gardiner, K McLaughlin, K Conroy, A Dillon.

Donegal: P Durcan; F McGlynn, N McGee, K Lacey; B Dunnion, B Monaghan, C Greene; K Cassidy, R Kavanagh, F McNulty, C Toye, M McElhinney; D Walsh, M Murphy, C Dunne.
Subs: C McFadden, E McGee, J Keaney, S Griffin.

Referee: F Flynn (Leitim).

Is that the most likely starting lineup for Donegal v. Down?  Surely Colm McFadden will start  ???

Leo McLoone, McFadden and Neil Gallagher will all start. You can probably throw in Eamon McGee and maybe even one or two more from the U-21s such as McHugh junior, Paddy McGrath and Dermot Molloy might get a run. Adrian Hanlon is a possibility, but he may be suspended. Goalkeeper will probably be Durcan, but you never know.

Apple Crumble

As a neutral, I think Donegal will win this.  Down seem very confident after winning a very mediocre Div 2.  A lot of unncessary pressure on Martin Clark, I can't see down turning in to a great team overnight.

Down have an average defence and Donegal have a better fwd. line.

thewanderer

thewobbler

Is it possible to win a Championship game with four of your first-choice defenders and your first-choice midfielder absent?

I know Down have the forwards - and the goalscorers - to do some serious damage at the other end, but they'll need to do just that unless Down obliterate the home team at midfield.

I hate to say it but Donegal at 11/10 is looking an attractive bet.

J70

Quote from: thewanderer on May 13, 2010, 03:53:07 PM
as jmck would say 2 bad teams :D

What illustrious environs do you hail from that you can sneer at us Donegal/Down folk?

snoopdog

i take it this game wont be an all ticket.
PAy at the turnstiles ;D

goldenyears

The more I look at this game the more I start to fancy Donegal. Down are in diffs with lots and lots of injury problems and even the fellas just back from injury are in trouble - you cant miss 3/4 weeks training then walk back into an ulster championship match and expect to be up to speed. The much maligned defence/full back line is where the problems lie. I am also hearing lots of problems with fringe players not getting a sniff and some have walked as a result....this doesnt bode well.

Donegal have come in with a decent div2 campaign behind them, and absolutely no word from them - all nice and quiet, no noise makes a good build up....

I fancy Donegal by 3

dodgy umpire

Quote from: goldenyears on May 25, 2010, 10:39:09 AM
The more I look at this game the more I start to fancy Donegal. Down are in diffs with lots and lots of injury problems and even the fellas just back from injury are in trouble - you cant miss 3/4 weeks training then walk back into an ulster championship match and expect to be up to speed. The much maligned defence/full back line is where the problems lie. I am also hearing lots of problems with fringe players not getting a sniff and some have walked as a result....this doesnt bode well.

Donegal have come in with a decent div2 campaign behind them, and absolutely no word from them - all nice and quiet, no noise makes a good build up....

I fancy Donegal by 3
The injury problems at the back are good reasons to back Donegal, as is the unavailability of Rodgers, but I have faith in McIvor and McCartan to make the best of a bad situation. IMO the management have to date made the right decisions as regards tactics and team selection, and in doing so Down achieved the best defensive record in NFL. Down will be well prepared for the difficult task in Ballybofey and the team now have the confidence and ability to grind out results. Coulter is captain, and I expect Lacey to pick him up which will prove to be a fascinating battle. Key to stopping Donegal is stopping Murphy, and if big Dan does end up marking him, that leaves Fitzpatrick and King in midfield. King has earned his placed at centre field through solid performances but I haven't been overly impressed with Fitzpatrick so far this year, though he does possess real talent. It goes without saying that Marty Clarke's free taking capability will be vital to Down's chances, and it will be great to see him on his championship debut. By their own high standards, McComiskey and John Clarke could arguably be disappointed with their performances in Croker and I have a feeling that we will see big performances from these two. While Donegal are coming into this match with little noise, I think that the defeat to Armagh will have helped Down in this respect.

Down by 2
The Boys in Red and Black are back

armaghniac

If being beaten by Armagh is helpful to your preparations then Donegal have had more help than Down. It is very difficult to know what Donegal will turn up to this one, a Donegal who wants to show that the tame end to the league was not their real form or the Donegal that played in the earlier rounds of the chamionship last year. Donegal must be very frustrating to support!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

southdown

Will James name his team soon?  I would imagine Dan Gordon will fearure from the start

snoopdog

Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2010, 12:18:31 AM
If being beaten by Armagh is helpful to your preparations then Donegal have had more help than Down. It is very difficult to know what Donegal will turn up to this one, a Donegal who wants to show that the tame end to the league was not their real form or the Donegal that played in the earlier rounds of the chamionship last year. Donegal must be very frustrating to support!

cant be anymore frustrating watching Donegal than it is Down. Poor management over the last 7 or 8 years have left Down as total no hopers in Championship football for a long time. Donegal have had a few quarter final appearances. Lets hope wee James will bring us some hope for the future. Getting beat on sunday is not the end of the world, we could give the qualifiers a good shot.

bennydorano

I would still maintain that Down were basically Championship fit throughout the league and their league form could give a slightly false impression of where they are really at.  There is a lot of talent in the forward line and with a decent MF and it could be enough to get past Donegal, but who could predict what Donegal could do with any confidence?? 

Even without injuries Down's defence is still ropey, and for the 100th time - I really dont rate James Colgan, an unbelievably weak link.  It'll probably be horrible stuff again this weekend, with Down's injury worries in defence they'll have to play at least 1 sweeper if not 2.