Wicklow v Down. Aughrim 3pm Saturday. Live on RTE

Started by Trevor Hill, July 12, 2009, 06:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2009, 10:22:02 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 12, 2009, 10:12:31 PM
I Fancy Down to take this
Dont kid yourself that Wicklow are anything other than a very average team who beat a Fermanagh team in disarray and one of the worst team in the country,Cavan.
It might be a step too far more Micko, Down have alot more class than what Wicklow have come up against in their last 2 games.
Jaysus, Down have hardly beat the world though and lost to that Fermanagh team in disarray, who in turn lost to "one of the worst teams in the country, Cavan".

Wicklow were equally as terrible against what has turned out to be an absolutely hopeless Westmeath team though.
I think Down have enough quality at Midfield and in attack to shade this.

Trevor Hill

My opinion  of the current management is well known and is not going to change after victories over London and Laois and no matter how Down do this year I would still prefer to see a new manager in place next year.
I have been very critical after some very disappointing results against perceived weaker opposition, but I have to say I think Ross did a good job last night. I hope I am saying the same next Saturday night.

Trevor Hill

With the draw in Ulster we should have made it to the Ulster final. Fermanagh as has been shown since are no world beaters and if we had got past them I have no doubt we would be playing Tyrone next Sunday.
My opinion on Ross as a manger is not going to change.

BallyhaiseMan

A last 12 spot last year
Promotion to Division Two.

i would say you're being a little bit harsh Trevor,But then again
1.You Know Down Football probably better than anyone on this board.
2.I was calling for Tommy Carr's removal in March   :D  :D

Down Talentwise
are a borderline top 8 or top 10 team.

Kerry
Tyrone
Dublin
Galway
Cork
Kildare
Derry
Mayo

would be definetly ahead of them in my opinion, and you could make a case maybe for a few other teams, but a Quarter Final spot is  achieveable with this bunch of players,but anything further is asking a bit too much in my opinion.

supersub

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 12, 2009, 08:08:51 PM
Nothing arrogant about pangurbans post, he is just saying what he thinks. I am sure the bookies may see it differently, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of optimism.Anyway, you go and enjoy the cricket, at least you have something to keep you occupied during the summer.

didnt think id hear this from you this season!!  :o

The game is deff winnable, depends which down team turns up on the day to be frank!

Trevor Hill

I think Ross isn't getting enough out of the players and there are some very strange omissions from the panel, but we wont go into that for now. Also I go to the games, you don't. You are getting your opinion on the manager from the Irish News and this discussion board. At times he has simply watched games go by without making changes when they were needed. All mangers are judged by their results and the results haven't been good enough this year.
But this thread is about the upcoming Wicklow v Down game so can we drop the management issue for now and discuss Saturdays game.

supersub

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 12, 2009, 10:54:24 PM
A last 12 spot last year

Down Talentwise

Kerry
Tyrone
Dublin
Galway
Cork
Kildare
Derry
Mayo

would be definetly ahead of them in my opinion, and you could make a case maybe for a few other teams, but a Quarter Final spot is  achieveable with this bunch of players,but anything further is asking a bit too much in my opinion.

thats a bit of a general statement, why do you say that?

Trevor Hill

I am glad we are still in it, especially when others arent. ;)
Anyway, good luck on Sunday, we`ll be there to support you. I just havent broke the news to the boss that we have 2 games to go to this weekend. She`ll be delighted  :D

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: supersub on July 12, 2009, 11:08:09 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 12, 2009, 10:54:24 PM
A last 12 spot last year

Down Talentwise

Kerry
Tyrone
Dublin
Galway
Cork
Kildare
Derry
Mayo

thats a bit of a general statement, why do you say that?

From reading his reports on the league games on the Down GAA Thread and some of the match threads on the main board,He seems to have seen the team in nearly every game this year,so id imagine he would be a good judge on how the players and management have progressed throughout the campaign.

Trevor Hill

It would be a bigger upset than James winning in Scarva on Tuesday, but if your not in you cant win and I have to say I am glad for Antrim.

Now Down v Wicklow..................

Aaron Boone

Mourne Rover

Hardstation asked earlier what was expected from Ross at the start of the year. It would probably be fairer to ask what was expected of him during his entire term of office. The answer is just the same as it was for his predecessor, Paddy O'Rourke - a place in the AI quarter finals at any stage.  Paddy was a kick of the ball away from achieving it in his first season, but things went downhill thereafter. While Ross fell at the final hurdle in 2008, a path could be opening up this time round. Down have no divine right to reach the quarter finals, but we have lost out every year since the introduction of the qualifiers in 2001. If we could do it once, we would be able to test ourselves against the best and see exactly where we stand and what we need to do. The manager who gets us there will have pulled off a considerable achievement, and Ross is two games away from it.

AAAA

Has a time and date been set for this yet?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2009, 09:47:25 PM
If Down win this, I think it would be harsh to get rid of Ross Carr to be honest.

I would disagree with that 100%!

We got beat by possibly the poorest team in Ulster in the championship...

Then we beat the mighty.... London.

A decent win over Laios, ok, but with the players available, I'm of the opinion that Down should be fit for Laios anyway.

We'll see when they meet a decent (or organised) team how they do. It seems then, that the lack of tactical nous from the management is shown up.
i usse an speelchekor