Ryanair - Something to make you laugh in these time of Global Recession

Started by Louth Exile, October 20, 2008, 01:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: deiseach on December 13, 2012, 01:28:29 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 13, 2012, 01:20:15 PM
QuoteThe more I think about it, the sillier the behaviour of the Ryanair staff in this case gets.

People in any organisation have to do their job.
Allowing people bypass regulations is depriving their employer of revenue, which should be a no no for any employee.

There is a broader point here. This trip was only possible because Ryanair provided affordable airfares, yet everyone is trying to undermine the Ryanair model.

But they didn't get any extra revenue here. All they got from this incident is bad publicity. And despite an old trope to the contrary, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

If you or anyone else can find and instance of any of Ryanair's publicity having an effect on the profit they make then good luck to you. The fact that their prices are so low means bad publicity is never going to affect them or turn customers off them. They seem to defy logic in the way they keep increasing their profits!

deiseach

Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2012, 01:59:25 PM
If you or anyone else can find and instance of any of Ryanair's publicity having an effect on the profit they make then good luck to you. The fact that their prices are so low means bad publicity is never going to affect them or turn customers off them. They seem to defy logic in the way they keep increasing their profits!

Ever heard of Gerald Ratner?

screenexile

Quote from: deiseach on December 13, 2012, 02:10:25 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2012, 01:59:25 PM

Ever heard of Gerald Ratner?

I hadn't but having done a bit of research I think they are 2 completely different cases. Ryanair is very warts and all. You know exactly what you're getting and the price for it.

Ratners seemed to be selling what some thought we 'luxurious' items and charging way over the odds for them. When it was revealed to consumers that it was a load of tat they stopped buying it.

At this stage Consumers should know exactly what they're getting from Ryanair.

deiseach

Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2012, 02:47:15 PM
At this stage Consumers should know exactly what they're getting from Ryanair.

Point taken. I still think that they are successful despite being obnoxious, not because of it.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 13, 2012, 11:58:18 AM
If I have a choice between Aer Lingus and RyanAir it's Aer Lingus every time. Even down to the friendliness of the staff, Aer Lingus is much better.

Me too - I do a lot of flying with work and will always take Aer Lingus and never Ryanair - I'd even take two flights or a flight + a long train journey to avoid them

Hardy

I like coffee. Sometimes I'll take my coffee in a paper cup on the move. Other times I like to relax with a newspaper in our nice local coffee shop and have a Danish with it and a chat if there's anyone I know there. The coffee there costs more than the stuff in the paper cup you buy at a stall, even though it tastes pretty much the same. That's OK with me.

The only time I feel hard done by is when I go into a place, ask for a black coffee and they say "Americano - OK." That's not what I mind. It's the fact that the Americano usually costs about 40c more than I'd pay in a place that allows me to call it black. That's about 10c for each extra letter in the name.

Main Street

It's hard to put a price on being treated like a criminal and a scam target, then told to fxck off because you should have known better.

armaghniac

QuoteBut they didn't get any extra revenue here. All they got from this incident is bad publicity. And despite an old trope to the contrary, there is such a thing as bad publicity

Firstly the staff members didn't get sacked, which would have been the result if there were 21Kg bags in the hold and nothing collected for them. But even the publicity will lead to hundreds of people being more careful about the weight limits and not trying to chance their arm.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Quote from: armaghniac on December 13, 2012, 04:51:37 PM
Firstly the staff members didn't get sacked, which would have been the result if there were 21Kg bags in the hold and nothing collected for them. But even the publicity will lead to hundreds of people being more careful about the weight limits and not trying to chance their arm.

As I said - a horrible company to work for.

Main Street

Don't be so harsh. For those who manage not to get sacked, isn't there a 50p tip, paid out to vigilant check-in staff for each baggage fine extracted?  Probably about about 1% commission.

The smaller than 'normal size' for hand baggage, a size smaller than which passes every other airlines' criteria, must also be a handy earner for the crime detectors.

Itchy

Its amazing the snobby attitude people have to flying, I'd love to know where it comes from. For example you can get a bus eireann bus from North Donegal to Dublin and it will probably take you 3 hours. You won't a seat reserved and you get a smiley stewardess or free coffee. Would you pay 30% more for that luxury. But come to flying and we get all this shite about aer lingus being better garbage. I fly at least once a week to europe. My first port of call is always Ryanair as they are the cheapest (i wouldn't even bother compare the others anymore as i've never found them cheaper). I've had one flight late in 3 years and I've never had my bag go missing. Thats all I care about. I also fly aerlingus to some places like stuttgart or munich. They are fine but again 30-50% more expensive. You get the same shite about bag size, charged for bag check ins and weight of bags. The only difference is you get a seat number - fantastic. Lufthansa charge 70% more and they give you a seat number and a piece of cake.

The recent case of the ill children is bullshit. What is the ryanair worker supposed to do, tell them its ok to have heavy bags as they are ill. What if they are blind, crippled, old - do you think the worker should just make it up as they go along. Unless the people in charge of this group live on Mars they will know that all airlines have weight restrictions. Its to do with fuel consumption and the like. Should people with no luggage pay for those that choose to bring anything they want? The media love having a go at one of Irelands most successful companies and i don't get it.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on December 13, 2012, 08:38:06 PM

Its called competition and if it weren't for the likes of Ryanair good old aer lingus would be charging you 500 euro return to London.

turk

Aer Lingus good service?? The only difference is Ryanair don't pretend to make an effort

thewobbler

Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2012, 07:27:28 PM
Its amazing the snobby attitude people have to flying, I'd love to know where it comes from. For example you can get a bus eireann bus from North Donegal to Dublin and it will probably take you 3 hours. You won't a seat reserved and you get a smiley stewardess or free coffee. Would you pay 30% more for that luxury.

I would think that most people making the trip from Dublin to North Donegal would do what they can to avoid using Bus Eireann - even if the tickets were free. Which is more or less the same thing as avoiding Ryanair if you can.

I don't fly as often as I used to, maybe half-a-dozen trips a year. As I live in Newry, it's as easy for me to fly from Dublin or either Belfast airport, so I tend to have options. I've found that Ryanair rarely provides the cheapest option. They're always competitive, but my personal experience is that them being cheap is a myth. Obviously I don't go out of my way to fly to fields on the middle of nowhere at 10pm on a Wednesday night, which is what Ryanair's pricing model excels at, but surely that puts me in the majority of consumers.