Ryanair - Something to make you laugh in these time of Global Recession

Started by Louth Exile, October 20, 2008, 01:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Swedish politician slams Ryanair for sexy ad
Sunday, October 19, 2008 By Isabel Conway in Karlstad, Sweden

A war of words has broken out between Irish low-cost airline Ryanair and a leading Swedish politician over the Irish carrier's alleged ''cavalier'' response to a recent reprimand from a Swedish watchdog.

The controversy, dismissed as a ''storm in a D cup'' by Ryanair, came after the airline which operates European routes from airports all over Sweden, was rapped on the knuckles for advertising the ''hottest back to school prices''.

The campaign showed a blonde posing in a girl's skimpy mini school uniform, with open blouse and bare midriff, as she suggestively pointed at a blackboard. Sweden's Trade Ethical Council against Sexism in Advertising (ERK) slammed the ad on the grounds that the scantily clad woman in the school uniform was used ''to catch the eye in a sexual manner that is offensive to women in general''.

The ERK has existed in Sweden since 1988 and is the country's leading self regulating advertising watchdog. Ryanair's response has angered one of Sweden's best known feminist politicians Birgitta Ohlsson, a member of Parliament for the Liberal People's Party. She suggested a consumer boycott of the Irish airline to punish Ryanair for its cavalier attitude towards the ERK finding.

Ohlsson said: ''It's my duty as a feminist politician to name and shame companies like this." She dismissed Ryanair's claim that the advertisement was in line with Swedish liberal values. ''It was neither funny nor liberal, it was old-fashioned and conservative," she said.

Ryanair said the airline would be sending free tickets ''to boring Birgitta so that she can take a nice relaxing break''.

http://www.thepost.ie/ezineSBP/story.asp?storyid=36827

The Picture in Question!

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

muppet

They do this every year in some country, get loads of publicity and get a small fine. They even use the same photo.

MWWSI 2017

full back

The advertising company have done well here.
Bit like PP who use advertising to create publicity, negative or positive

The GAA

dodgy umpire

The Boys in Red and Black are back

Newbridge Exile

I fly to Glasgow and London fairly frequently and Ryanair have to be at least £25 per return journey cheaper than Easyjet before I would consider using them ,£4 charge per flight for booking with mastercard or visa is a complete rip off

orangeman

RYANAIR will consider charging passengers for carry-on baggage as part of its relentless focus on increasing revenue and profits.

Deputy chief executive Michael Cawley said that baggage charges are among those that are always under consideration.

Asked yesterday if Ryanair might also consider charging for carry-on baggage, he said: "If you don't charge for something, that service isn't appreciated," he said. "When it was free, 80pc of people checked in a bag."

On average, just 35pc of Ryanair passengers now check in a bag. "We'd consider anything, but we're not doing it at the moment."

Carry-on luggage is one of the last free services to be offered by the airline.

orangeman

Heartless bastards

RYANAIR has said it regrets "causing inconvenience" to a group of seriously ill children and their families after they were forced to repack their luggage because it exceeded weight limits.

However, the airline said it was "pleased" the group "avoided any excess baggage charges".

The children, who have life-threatening conditions, were recipients of National Children of Courage awards at the weekend and were on a trip to Disneyland in Paris with the Share A Dream Foundation.

But their holiday got off to a bad start when they arrived at Dublin Airport yesterday morning. Several families were told their checked-in luggage -- which contained the children's medicines and other important items -- exceeded weight limits.

The families of the seriously ill children said they were annoyed and humiliated after they were forced to unpack some of their bags and repack belongings in other bags.

One parent told how their suitcase was 6kg over the 15kg limit and they were facing a €120 excess fee. Fortunately two other parents stepped in and offered to take items, including medicines, in their luggage.

The Share A Dream Foundation, which held a special ceremony to honour the children in Limerick on Saturday night, branded the incident a "disgrace". The trip was part of the children's award win.

The awards ceremony was presented by broadcaster Miriam O'Callaghan, who described the children as "incredible".

However, Ryanair said the families were given the opportunity to repack their bags so that they could avoid paying excess baggage fees. "We sincerely regret (any) inconvenience, but are pleased that they avoided any excess bag charges.

"These families agreed to Ryanair's (very well-known) checked-in baggage policy (one checked-in bag per person of no more than 15kgs in weight) at the time of their original booking," it said in a statement.

"As their checked-in bags this morning were overweight, they were offered the opportunity to repack their bags rather than pay an excess baggage fee . . . and as a result these families avoided any excess bag fees."

However, last night the families were said to be putting the incident behind them and were making sure the children enjoyed a magical first day, soaking up the Christmas atmosphere at Disneyland.

Eight children received National Children of Courage awards at the weekend.

Among them were six-year-old Sophie Mulcahy from Rhebogue Road in Limerick, who suffers from the rare Ohdo Syndrome and has undergone six heart operations as well as battling lung and kidney failure.

armaghniac

RYANAIR has said it regrets "causing inconvenience" to a group of seriously ill children and their families after they were forced to repack their luggage because it exceeded weight limits.

These people were just chancing their arm, the weight limits are clear enough and they could have shared around the items before arriving at the checkin desk or done a deal with Ryanair beforehand.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

What a non story. If you fly Ryanair you know you need to have your luggage weight right or you're fecked.

How do people not know how Ryanair operate at this stage? It's cheap and doesn't bother with special cases so if you want sympathy they're not the airline for you and you'd better be prepared to pay a bit more!

wildrover

Exactly...Read the rules...Then Follow them...And then spend the savings on a few pints in the departure lounge...Possibly even raise a toast to Michael O Leary for forcing competitive prices in the airline industry...

Orior

When I read the thread title I hoped that Ryanair were being hit with a huge financial penalty.

Sadly not the case, so I'm very disappointed.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: wildrover on December 13, 2012, 11:11:46 AM
Exactly...Read the rules...Then Follow them...And then spend the savings on a few pints in the departure lounge...Possibly even raise a toast to Michael O Leary for forcing competitive prices in the airline industry...

Have you ever driven 31 mph in a 30 mph speed limit area? If yes, then please send your licence details and cheque to the Penalty Points office like a good chap.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians