Club mass

Started by downjim, January 14, 2019, 10:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downjim

A discussion  on a club mass came up last week. Personally  I want them stopped but the God squad in our club always want them. Should these be done away with?

grounded

Is it compulsory attendance?

nrico2006

I'm sure its no big deal if you go or not. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

westbound

Why would you do away with them? Club masses for the deacesed members of the club?

Anyone that wants to go can go. Anyone that doesn't want to go doesn't have to.

We've had club masses in our club for at least 30 years (probably more!), but I don't think I've ever attended one of them!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: downjim on January 14, 2019, 10:31:44 AM
A discussion  on a club mass came up last week. Personally  I want them stopped but the God squad in our club always want them. Should these be done away with?

If the purpose is to remember deceased members, then why would you want it stopped?

downjim

I just think that the Catholic Church and club should be separate. In areas with a high percentage of C of I does masses happen for members??

armaghniac

Quote from: downjim on January 14, 2019, 10:58:39 AM
I just think that the Catholic Church and club should be separate. In areas with a high percentage of C of I does masses happen for members??

If there is mostly COI membership, and I'd be interested to know where this is, then you could have a COI commemoration for deceased members or an ecumenical one
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rufus T Firefly

I know in our Club, like the other GAA Clubs in our Parish, there is an Annual Mass for deceased members in November. I would estimate that the numbers our Club who attend would be less than 20% of the membership. There is no onus on anyone to attend - no roll call taken. There is some organization that takes place around the ceremony, and those Club members that are involved in that, do so gladly. I get a sense that those that attend take great comfort from the fact that their loved ones are remembered.

I can understand the point of view that some have that they would prefer the Club and the Catholic Church kept separate. However I'd hope that those that do would not be intolerant of their fellow Club members who wish to remember loved ones via an Annual Mass.   

Itchy

No fan of the church and definitely support separation of church from everything but I see no harm in having a mass for club members. Go or dont go, its up to the individual. Of course the priest should waive his 50 euro fee for such a community event.

omaghjoe

Do you actually have reason for wanting them ended of is just a case of you think they should be separate. Is there compulsory attendance or something? If not, what difference is it for you?

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on January 14, 2019, 01:42:13 PM
No fan of the church and definitely support separation of church from everything but I see no harm in having a mass for club members. Go or dont go, its up to the individual. Of course the priest should waive his 50 euro fee for such a community event.

Here, what's the deal with paying for such masses? Isn't it the priests duty to say mass for his parishioners?

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyCake on January 14, 2019, 05:30:22 PM

Here, what's the deal with paying for such masses? Isn't it the priests duty to say mass for his parishioners?

No different to anyone else getting a mass said, if the priest wants to waive his fee its down to him.
But the Parish is the community it won't be able to function running at a loss, much the same as the GAA club. Im sure the treasurer would have a thing or two to say about  waiving the entrance fee for matches

BennyCake

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 14, 2019, 06:01:01 PM

No different to anyone else getting a mass said, if the priest wants to waive his fee its down to him.
But the Parish is the community it won't be able to function running at a loss, much the same as the GAA club. Im sure the treasurer would have a thing or two to say about  waiving the entrance fee for matches

What about an anniversary that falls on a Sunday? Sure a mass will be said anyway, so why does the priest need paying for a mass he's saying anyway?

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyCake on January 14, 2019, 06:04:54 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 14, 2019, 06:01:01 PM

What about an anniversary that falls on a Sunday? Sure a mass will be said anyway, so why does the priest need paying for a mass he's saying anyway?

A Parish cant run at a loss, same as a club or any other type of organisation if it does so there will soon no masses said Sunday or not

As I said its up to the individual priest and parish.

thejuice

I'm all for deeper integration of the church, club and county. We need every deity on our side whether real or imagined if we're ever going to get back to the heavenly heights of Division 1.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016