Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: dublin7 on August 12, 2019, 02:34:58 PM
Berno got hit with an elbow to the jaw at the end of the Tyrone game and it swelled up so much he wasn't considered for Sat. I think he would have made the bench only for that

Didnt hear that. Interesting.

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2019, 02:30:39 PM
Would McCaffrey not be as well mark O'Brien then he's on the backfoot half the time?
Hadn't considered that. Not sure how Jim will feel about Jack's lack of impact on Saturday, resulting from having to deal with Durcan all the time.
My guess is that Small will go on O'Brien, with Murchan replacing him after Small gets carded.

imtommygunn

I was surprised how subdued McCaffrey was. He has been unmarkable all year and to me was clear favourite for POTY. I think if O'Brien was on the back foot then he would be less effective. Also if you make him defend he isn't the most disciplined so would probably get a card of some description.

Interesting assessment on Small lol but yeah he doesn't seem blessed with discipline.

tyrone08

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2019, 01:53:25 PM
5 to 6 is gross exaggeration. I rewatched it and I would say 2.

On the rest I would say you are right. I would expect at some point Dublin will dominate as Tyrone did but will make it count on the scoreboard.

Ah now there was 2 in the first half and 2 within the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. Thats at least 4.

imtommygunn

the Geaney one start of second half and OShea one in second half. Not sure there were many more... McGeary gave away two in the same way which someone thought was harsh but they were both arm over the shoulder jobs.

Don't get me wrong I believe he did you no favours but he swung the game by a couple of points IMO and I honestly thought irrespective of him you should have won that game and really let it slip.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 02:55:59 PM
Berno got hit with an elbow to the jaw at the end of the Tyrone game and it swelled up so much he wasn't considered for Sat. I think he would have made the bench only for that

Would McCaffrey not be as well mark O'Brien then he's on the backfoot half the time?
Hadn't considered that. Not sure how Jim will feel about Jack's lack of impact on Saturday, resulting from having to deal with Durcan all the time.
My guess is that Small will go on O'Brien, with Murchan replacing him after Small gets carded.

Small going for a personal 3 in a row of red cards in the All Ireland final

Crete Boom

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 02:26:21 PM
Kerry will need to win midfield and get 1 on 1s with our full back line.

Couple of selection dilemmas for Gavin:

O'Sullivan v Macauley
- Cian always plays really well against his parents' county. Looked sharp when he came on on Saturday. MDMA was his usual mix of power and unorthodoxy with that little bit of recklessness thrown in. Saw stats that said he had more possessions than any other Dub in the first half, and I did think at the time he was doing more than most to keep us in the contest at that time. We'll be weaker in the air if McCarthy starts midfield with Cian at 6, which might help give Kerry a foothold. But Cian will give a bit of added protection to the full back line and we'll have the wrecking ball as an impact sub.

Byrne v Fitzsimons v McMahon v Murchan (2 from 4)
- Most would rate Byrne 4th out of these, but formwise he's been the best this championship, and he doubled down on that on Saturday. Possibly his best game in a Dubs jersey. Fitz got a bit of a run around for a while v Carr (I was wondering for a while whether there was a deliberate policy to let them shoot rather than risk giving COC frees, but I don't think so!). Philly's a proven performer in All Ireland finals (and his chances of playing would increase if Tommy Walsh was starting), while Murchan might just be the ideal man to shackle Stephen O'Brien.   My guess is he'll stick with Byrne and Fitz, but it could be any 2.

I'd say Rory and Berno will be doing all they can over the next 2 weeks to try force themselves into the 26, but difficult to see any openings.

As a neutral Hound, I would keep McAuley in midfield as I think he will really trouble any of the Kerry midfielders with his physicality in the engine room and his direct running could carve open Kerry down the center of their defence.
Byrne has done excellent since coming into the team so I would give him the nod as well and Murchan could be an option off the bench quieten somebody like O'Brine if needed.
I would be tempted to start McMahon as he is a very crafty defender and he can get forward bringing his man with him at the right time.
If Brogan is fully fit I would definitely have him and Connolly on the bench to bring on for the last 15 mins when the Kerry backs are beginning to wane.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2019, 01:58:03 PM
Quote from: t_mac on August 12, 2019, 01:43:05 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2019, 01:41:14 PM
I think that this will be a lot closer than people expect. Whatever happens now Kerry can be happy with their season, they have no pressure on them going into the final.

This match has the potential to be the highest scoring final in quite some time since both sides main strengths lie in their attacks. Despite the Dubs dominance they have never blown away any outfit in an AI final and I expect this game to be no different. There are different pressures in a final and these will be ramped up even more as they attempt to become the greatest side in the history of the game. It would be a fool who would back against the Dubs but I think it could be a close contest.

2018 at a canter.

Not a canter but was fairly comfortable but that was the only one in their last 7 finals:

2011 Kerry - 1 point
2013 Mayo - 1 point
2015 Kerry - 3 points
2016 Mayo - Draw
2016 Mayo - 1 point
2017 Mayo - 1 point
2018 - Tyrone - 6 points

So an average winning margin of less than 2 points in AI finals. Anyone who thinks that the Dubs will win this match in a procession does not know football and has been sucked in by all of the hype. It will be a close contest and I think the Dubs are likely winners but they are not playing some dog and duck outfit and they have never produced their best in finals. Add in the pressure of going for 5 in a row and I would give Kerry a chance.

We had a nice run of close All Ireland finals however this final is highly unlikely to be close. You have to be realistic kerry have never reached a final before with such a porous defence. I think we are looking at the most one sided All Ireland final since 2007 (I do hope Kerry prove me wrong)

imtommygunn

I thought Byrne would have been a fall guy and maybe lacked a bit of physicality until I saw him overpower aidan oshea at one stage on Saturday.

tonto1888

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2019, 03:15:31 PM
I was surprised how subdued McCaffrey was. He has been unmarkable all year and to me was clear favourite for POTY. I think if O'Brien was on the back foot then he would be less effective. Also if you make him defend he isn't the most disciplined so would probably get a card of some description.

Interesting assessment on Small lol but yeah he doesn't seem blessed with discipline.

I think small is a great player. He has been I disciplined in the past but I think he now has a reputation with referees and that certainly doesn't help him

Gael85

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 02:55:59 PM

That must have been the challenge from Niall Sludden near the end of game.

imtommygunn

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 12, 2019, 08:49:36 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2019, 03:15:31 PM

I think small is a great player. He has been I disciplined in the past but I think he now has a reputation with referees and that certainly doesn't help him

Yeah if he wasn't great I don't think gavin would have him near the team. Him and cooper with McMahon out would be the more aggressive players.

On the match Saturday Dublin were a lot more pumped up/ aggressive than they would usually be. More in the rubbing it in after scores and winning frees etc. They don't tend to be like that but to be fair all the teams are at it so not a massive criticism.

dublin7

I don't know the Tyrone player, but it was ay the end of the game. It looked a cheap shot at the time.

giveballaghback

What an insult to the great kingdom of Kerry with their 37 all=Irelands, +5points at even money in an all Ireland final, yerra tis quare times.

Captain Scarlet

As noted already, look at the damage McShane was let do in the first half. Imagine you gave O'Callaghan and Mannion that space.
That's only two lads to mind. Then Kerry need Moran to better Fenton.
Then McCaffrey and McCarthy breaking through...
Lots of IFs when it comes to Kerry but you know what the Dubs will bring. I would love an upset but just can't see it and it feels a bit of a sales pitch to be going down the whole classic rivals route that will be throttled for the next fortnight.

Dublin only needed to put on a blitz at the weekend. Reminds me of Cork v Kilkenny in a hurling 1/4 final (I think?) years ago. Cork were on top in the first 25 mins and lads were jumping out of their skins.
Next thing KK lashed in a goal, tagged on a few points and just killed it.

They say it's the hope that kills you but in this case the lack of it from the neutrals is killing this game before it even begins.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Wildweasel74

Like both Dublin and Kerry, As much as I like to see a team win 5 in a row in my lifetime, football needs a Kerry win.(who ever think) Though I think Dublin win by 6 or 7 but only really pulling clear round the 60min mark