Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

He was decent at Watford and I was surprised when I heard he was going to China. He seems to have agreed personal terms so probably on the way on a 6 month loan. Better than nobody and perhaps he'll get a few goals. Bargain basement stuff though.

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on January 31, 2020, 09:11:37 PM
Seems to be a done deal, makes more sense to me than the Joshua King one....

Will probably have to go into quarantine when he lands  ;D

Was thinking the same!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 31, 2020, 02:38:26 PM
Scrambling around on transfer deadline day looking to pick up any bang average striker available sums up United's current plight.

Obsession... by Tipps
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 31, 2020, 10:14:28 PM
Scrambling around on transfer deadline day looking to pick up any bang average striker available sums up United's current plight.

Obsession... by Tipps

Irony courtesy of MR2. I've got me an internet stalker here 😂

gawa316

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 31, 2020, 11:46:58 PM

Obsession... by Tipps

Do you know what the actual protocol is to posting on here, without being called obsessed?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gawa316 on February 01, 2020, 12:14:19 AM

Obsession... by Tipps

Do you know what the actual protocol is to posting on here, without being called obsessed?

I would say it's generally obsessive negative posts on a thread topic that has no bearing on a topic that you've no interest on. Maybe other than WUM'ing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ed Ricketts

So five months after roading Lukaku, United find themselves scrounging around for a cheap replica. Of course Ighalo is better than no one at this stage, but it's depressing to see the club fumbling about so aimlessly.

It is also now very difficult to further the claim that Solskjaer, Woodward, or anyone else the club has any sort of coherent transfer strategy following the events of this window. Fernandes' arrival is positive, and it's probably just about enough to quell supporter discontent to the point that it's a bit less embarrassing for the owners. But it doesn't seem that there were any meaningful attempts to tackle the many other issues with the playing squad. And worse than that, it now seems even more difficult to trust that the club, in its current state, is capable of properly tackling these issues in the future.

Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

gawa316

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 01, 2020, 12:24:14 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 01, 2020, 12:14:19 AM

Obsession... by Tipps

I would say it's generally obsessive negative posts on a thread topic that has no bearing on a topic that you've no interest on. Maybe other than WUM'ing

So if Tipps has a general interest in Utd as a team and a club being shite, is he allowed to post about that?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on February 01, 2020, 12:57:18 AM
So five months after roading Lukaku, United find themselves scrounging around for a cheap replica. Of course Ighalo is better than no one at this stage, but it's depressing to see the club fumbling about so aimlessly.

It is also now very difficult to further the claim that Solskjaer, Woodward, or anyone else the club has any sort of coherent transfer strategy following the events of this window. Fernandes' arrival is positive, and it's probably just about enough to quell supporter discontent to the point that it's a bit less embarrassing for the owners. But it doesn't seem that there were any meaningful attempts to tackle the many other issues with the playing squad. And worse than that, it now seems even more difficult to trust that the club, in its current state, is capable of properly tackling these issues in the future.
It really is amateur hour. There was always the big risk that letting Lukaku go without buying would prompt the need for an urgent replacement come January and in all likelihood the replacement would not be as good.
Woodward clashing with strong minded managers has proved problematic in the past for Utd but having a yes man in there happy to appease and not rock the boat is proving disastrous.
For all the big talk of squad building before, it's starting to look like the bean counters are running the show with little vision or strategy from the football perspective. How the bigger picture will turn out is anyone's guess but I wouldn't be betting on a masterpiece.

brokencrossbar1

With all due respect to United January is always a difficult time to pick up to quality. The reality is unless you're prepared to over pay on a risk you have no real bargaining position. The notion that United do not spend is just not true though. The Fernandes deal I think was the biggest deal of all Premier league teams. Spurs may have bought a few more but one of those was a confirmation of an existing loan deal. United spend more money than every team bar City so don't be playing the poor mouth.

Bad buys are different from non buys

Look-Up!

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 01, 2020, 10:31:48 AM
With all due respect to United January is always a difficult time to pick up to quality. The reality is unless you're prepared to over pay on a risk you have no real bargaining position. The notion that United do not spend is just not true though. The Fernandes deal I think was the biggest deal of all Premier league teams. Spurs may have bought a few more but one of those was a confirmation of an existing loan deal. United spend more money than every team bar City so don't be playing the poor mouth.

Bad buys are different from non buys
Fernandes deal could prove good business. There will be huge pressure on him to perform though. Of course it often takes the first full season for players to come good but the way the last few windows have gone and with the possibility of losing Pogba, next window is huge. A performing Fernandes going into it would be a major plus.
The striker situation is a bit farcical. Huge long shot. Only saving grace for Utd is that it was a loan. 20M on King would have been a worse decision.

BennyCake

January window needs done away with. Part of the excitement throughout the season was the transfer rumours and the sudden purchases.

stiffler

Drab performance from Utd again today. Things really need to improve sharpish if top 4 spot is a realistic target.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

nrico2006

United are never getting top 4.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Utd ( for what I see) were dire! The standard is rotten! One team has stood above the rest, the rest have been well below. Has there been a worse championship?