Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Tipps

Can't really blame Pogba for wanting to get out!

Cunny Funt

Didn't expect United to avoid defeat and keep a clean sheet when I saw that United starting line up. Only two real chances in the game, the one Romero saved 1st half and Rashford hitting the crossbar. Have seen penalties given for less than that challenge on Williams.

Could have done without that extra game and Ole will have no choice but to play a weakened team in that replay.

stiffler

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 04, 2020, 08:10:28 PM
Didn't expect United to avoid defeat and keep a clean sheet when I saw that United starting line up. Only two real chances in the game, the one Romero saved 1st half and Rashford hitting the crossbar. Have seen penalties given for less than that challenge on Williams.

Could have done without that extra game and Ole will have no choice but to play a weakened team in that replay.

Doherty header was probably the biggest chance of the match.

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

magpie seanie

Had to laugh when I logged on here and saw "bad result" mentioned. United haven't done well in Molineux in recent seasons and Wolves are a decent side. With the weakened team it was a super result. I'd say the draw might determine how the replay is approached....United will know who they'll get if they advance. Cups are the only chance of silverware so I would hope United take it seriously. 4th is still a long shot in all honesty.

Either way, new players are badly needed.

From the Bunker

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 05, 2020, 09:39:47 AM
Had to laugh when I logged on here and saw "bad result" mentioned. United haven't done well in Molineux in recent seasons and Wolves are a decent side. With the weakened team it was a super result. I'd say the draw might determine how the replay is approached....United will know who they'll get if they advance. Cups are the only chance of silverware so I would hope United take it seriously. 4th is still a long shot in all honesty.

No shots on target! Cup games are all about getting it done on the day, especially when you have a busy January schedule!

Boycey

There's little in United's form over the last 12 months to suggest theyd go to Wolves and roll them over. The reality of where we're at is that it's a good enough draw and a chance to progress at home, whether we will or not is less sure  :)

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 05, 2020, 12:29:10 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 05, 2020, 09:39:47 AM

No shots on target! Cup games are all about getting it done on the day, especially when you have a busy January schedule!

A super result indeed for the plucky underdogs from Manchester against the might of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
If the minnows of Manchester United had won it would have been up there with the famous FA Cup giant killings like Hereford, Wimbledon and Wigan.

::)

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Yup that's exactly what I said  ;D

Ed Ricketts

The display from United yesterday was just the same sort insipid crap we've become all too familiar with in recent years. That they didn't lose is a weak positive, but it's pretty perverse and depressing to associate this sort of turgid football with descriptors like 'super' or even 'good'. ZERO shots on target ffs. The problem remains the midfield. It has always been the problem, and nothing will improve until something considerable is done about it.

United have been in desperate need of at least two reinforcements in midfield since before this season even began. It was negligent of the club to fail to bring in these players in the summer, and this failure is looking more lamentable as this season continues. As strongly suspected by all, Mata and Matic are conclusively done at this level; Pereira is a powder puff player, who will eventually depart for some mid-table Spanish club; and Pogba just doesn't give a shit. Only for McTominay exceeding expectations, and some very belated green shoots from Fred, things would be even worse. And now McTominay is crocked for a couple of months. All this against a backdrop were Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea are tripping over themselves to keep the race to fourth in play.

If ever a club needed to go sign someone it's now. Whether the club are able to make that happen in the next few weeks will tell a lot about the ability of Woodward, Solskjaer and others to attract the footballers needed to move things back towards the top table. If the required arrivals do not materialise then it should be game over for these guys - they will have definitively proven that they can not do what United need of them. But I don't think there'll be many supporters holding their breath.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

magpie seanie

Everything has to be looked at in context. United aren't the force they were and it will take a building process to get back there. There are no quick fixes (they've been tried and have failed). When I saw the team that was picked I expected United to be well beaten. No shots on target is never good but probably should have had a penalty and Rashford hit the woodwork.

Ed Ricketts -
Quotebut it's pretty perverse and depressing to associate this sort of turgid football with descriptors like 'super' or even 'good'. ZERO shots on target ffs.

I said the result was super, not the football. Don't make stuff up, that's what Laoislad is for!

Ed Ricketts

I don't really understand how context improves the view of things. I'm sure it's not exactly what you mean, but this sort of talk sounds a lot like shit football being used as an excuse for even more shit football. At some stage you have to ask for better, otherwise the malaise drifts on indefinitely. 

And I'm not convinced, even taking into account any context, that a limp scoreless draw against a half strength mid-table side is the sort of result from which to take satisfaction. I sincerely hope that those in power at the club have not accepted that the bar is set that low.

The may not be any quick fixes out there, but there are fixes. Inaction in the transfer market or with the organisation of the club management can not be excused. This month is crucial. There's an opportunity to do something to improve things, perhaps salvage something from the season, and genuinely stop the rot in the club. If nothing happens then it can only be seen as an acceptance of the status quo, which in turn make's it difficult to be in any way optimistic about the foreseeable future. I hope the club can spring a surprise.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

NAG1

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on January 06, 2020, 02:38:33 PM
I don't really understand how context improves the view of things. I'm sure it's not exactly what you mean, but this sort of talk sounds a lot like shit football being used as an excuse for even more shit football. At some stage you have to ask for better, otherwise the malaise drifts on indefinitely. 

And I'm not convinced, even taking into account any context, that a limp scoreless draw against a half strength mid-table side is the sort of result from which to take satisfaction. I sincerely hope that those in power at the club have not accepted that the bar is set that low.

The may not be any quick fixes out there, but there are fixes. Inaction in the transfer market or with the organisation of the club management can not be excused. This month is crucial. There's an opportunity to do something to improve things, perhaps salvage something from the season, and genuinely stop the rot in the club. If nothing happens then it can only be seen as an acceptance of the status quo, which in turn make's it difficult to be in any way optimistic about the foreseeable future. I hope the club can spring a surprise.

What would you do? Who would you buy that is a) available b) wants to come to the club c) is better than what is currently there?

Bearing in mind this is the January transfer window.

Maroon Manc

Result was fine given the team we had out but feels like he's skating on thin ice given the fixtures we have coming up and the injury to McTominay who's become a very important player and even more so given the state of  the squad. Pereira has played 25 games this season and he's nowhere near good enough. Lingard has been very poor all season too whilst Matic is finished. Mata offers nothing anymore and I'd much rather see Angel Gomes get his games and now it looks like he'll leave the club on a free this summer. Then there's Pogba who continues to make a fool out of the club.

I'm very concerned about how many crap goals we concede, its been 13 goals against Sheffield United, Villa, Spurs, City, Everton, Watford, Newcastle & Arsenal. 11 of those goals have been really really poor for a United point of view, actually most of them have been  pathetic which a good team doesn't concede. I'm more worried about the defending then the lack of goals which doesn't surprise me. On paper United should be excellent at the back although I don't think Lindelof & Maguire is going to be good enough at the really top level as a pair although hope I'm proved wrong; The lack of pace is an issue. Shaw is done at United, needs to be moved on this summer. He's just not good enough.

We all know the squad is miles off where it should be, I've been banging on about this for a while in terms of bringing in a couple of players in on loan to ease the burden.

Its another huge month for Ole and I'm not sure whether he'll see it out.

rodney trotter

Lingaard has to be gone too. How is is still there? He should have been moved on after his idiotic videos while on holidays..

I saw a stat, where he didn't score or create a League goal in 2019.

Cunny Funt

Wolves are 7th in table point 1 off United in 5th. 9 of the Wolves players that played in recent 3-2 win v Man City played on Saturday.

Bare in mind Wolves knocked United out of the FA Cup last year 2-1 in a game where United fielded a stronger team and only had two shots on target with the 2nd one of those shots a Rashford goal in the 95th minute.

I thought Ole was taking the sensible option of fielding a weakened team Last Saturday but going by the press conference today he only started with that team because of injury and illness.