Quarter Final Draw Structure

Started by SuperDooperCooper, July 16, 2007, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDooperCooper

Folks, I emailed the GAA requarding the Q?F structure - here is my mail and their response.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mail:
-----------
There is a lot of confusion as to what is happening in relation to the All-Ireland quarter finals in football.
Read any of the various GAA forums and everyone has a different take on what is to happen.

The official rules state that the four provincial winners (Kerry,Dublin, Tyrone and Sligo) play the qualifier round 3 winners.
Three separate scenarios have been advanced based on this wording.

1. The draw is predetermined as it has been for the last few years
Dublin v Cork/Louth v Kerry v Laois/Derry
Tyrone v Galway/Meath v Sligo v Monaghan/Donegal

2. The Quarter final is an open draw with the provincial winner barred from meeting team they have beaten in the provincial final (e.g. no repeat of Kerry/Cork in the quarter final).

3. The third scenario (the one I believe to be true) is that the Q/F draw is completely open and we could have a repeat of the 4 provincial finals, if the 4 losing provincial finalists win their respective qualifier games.

It would be appreciated if you could clear up the confusion once and for all.

Also could you supply the date of the quarter final draw if one is to happen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response:
--------------
The quarter final parings will be based on an open draw however the provincial losers cannot play the team that beat them in their provincial final. As of yet there is no date for the draw for the quarter finals.

Hannah Billings
GAA Queries
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Therefore Kerry can't play Cork in the quarter finals which is good - let the fun commence.

Hound

SuperDooper work Cooper.

I hope Hannah is right - as I think thats the best solution.

But while I remember the GAA stating that the restricted draw was gone (i.e. you could have Westmeath v Longford playing each other twice etc.) I do not remember them saying there was an exception for provincial finalists. As I said, I hope she's right.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Ditto, hope she's right, because that proviso is a restriction.

Well done SDC.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Surely this should be coming from an officila source by now !

magpie seanie

That's grand so. No Galway for us so no Connacht team left to annoy us (unless they get to the final)!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 16, 2007, 03:28:39 PM
That's grand so. No Galway for us so no Connacht team left to annoy us (unless they get to the final)!

Bugger. I was hoping for a chance at Sligo again so normal service could be resumed. ;D

The Real Laoislad

Feck i would have preferred if you could meet your provincial final opposition again.
That leaves us with Sligo,Tyrone or Kerry if we beat Derry
Would have rathered play Dublin again instead of Kerry or Tyrone
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Billys Boots

QuoteHannah Billings
GAA Queries

Could be a vile Dubs plot, if she's related to Dave Billings.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

clarshack

so will the draw not take place until after the last qualifier on july 28th? - which is only 7 days before tyrone are supposed to play their 1/4 final. unacceptable.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: clarshack on July 16, 2007, 03:44:17 PM
so will the draw not take place until after the last qualifier on july 28th? - which is only 7 days before tyrone are supposed to play their 1/4 final. unacceptable.

Pourquoi ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

uselessfootballer

The quarter-finals involving the Connaught and Ulster Champions sit in the Master Fixtures list as Saturday 4th August other 2 games down for Sat 11th Aug, but the Dubs will prob be given a date all of their own.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 16, 2007, 03:50:57 PM
Quote from: clarshack on July 16, 2007, 03:44:17 PM

Pourquoi ???

Indeed, probably more unacceptable for whomever we're playing charshack, in that if it's Donegal/Monaghan or Derry/Laois they will only have a week to prepare for the game (we will have had three, regardless of when the draw takes place). If it's one of the other two they'll have two weeks.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Yeah I have just realised this before reading this thread as I heard at the match yesterday that our next match is in 3 weeks time ie 4th August.
So if all the next round of qualifiers are ALL on in 2 weeks time then it means whoever meets us will only have 1 week prep.
Will these 1/4 be in Croker or does it depend who's playing

Would it not have been better for the Laois and Monaghan to not play next weekend so that should they go through they will have 2 weeks then before the 1/4 final
I suppose the back door matches have been coming weekly now anyway and so that is part and parcel of this route.

Think I'm at Galway races on Sat 4th August so could be an interesting weekend.

So its an open draw for the 4 province winners to play anybody from
Cork          or Louth
Galway      or Meath                                   
Laois         or Derry
Monaghan or Donegal

Not sure who I'd like from that list. Maybe Laois should they stumble past Derry but I doubt it.
I'd say Cork must fancy their chances now for the AI after nearly beating Kerry and getting an easy enough draw for the next round. Hopefully they dont get Sligo in the 1/4s should they get that through.
So far then from the last 12 we have
4 Ulster
4 Leinster
2 Munster
2 Connaght

DUBSFORSAM1

If there was any of them 8 I would like to avoid it would be Cork.......but then again they would probably be the best test we could get before going up against Kerry (assuming we won) with McConnell getting good experience against Cussen etc...would have no real fears of any of the other teams though..

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 16, 2007, 04:41:56 PM
Think I'm at Galway races on Sat 4th August so could be an interesting weekend.
Bollix, I've only noticed that clash of events, had intended to do the late midweek/Saturday in Galway, may have to be some rearranging of plans now, they had to go and win Connacht to mess things up didn't they? :P