NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: galwayman on January 25, 2023, 09:10:56 PM
As expected it's been confirmed that Liam Silke won't play for Galway in 2023.
I can't overstate how big of a blow that is to our chances of doing anything this season.
He was absolutely outstanding in 2022.
And we essentially have no real marking corner backs left.
Molloy being out is a blow as well obviously but it's far easier to play a gap in the half back line.
Good news for your opposition. 2 serious footballers.

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on January 25, 2023, 06:40:11 PM
You'd need 7 or 8 Div 3 and 4 teams to make the Provincial Finals ....

It's very unlikely but the last ranked team in Div 1 would be vulnerable if provincials ended like this. It would take a Kildare to shock Dublin in Leinster, a Cork to pip Derry for promotion, but Derry to make Ulster.

Provincials:

Kildare Meath
Galway Sligo
Derry Cavan
Kerry  v Limerick

Ranking:
Kerry provincial
1 Tyrone
2 Mayo
Galway - provincial
3 Armagh
4 Monaghan
7 Donegal demoted
8 Roscommon demoted
5 Dublin promoted
6 Cork promoted

seafoid

Quote from: weareros on January 25, 2023, 10:50:47 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 25, 2023, 06:40:11 PM
You'd need 7 or 8 Div 3 and 4 teams to make the Provincial Finals ....

It's very unlikely but the last ranked team in Div 1 would be vulnerable if provincials ended like this. It would take a Kildare to shock Dublin in Leinster, a Cork to pip Derry for promotion, but Derry to make Ulster.

Provincials:

Kildare Meath
Galway Sligo
Derry Cavan
Kerry  v Limerick

Ranking:
Kerry provincial
1 Tyrone
2 Mayo
Galway - provincial
3 Armagh
4 Monaghan
7 Donegal demoted
8 Roscommon demoted
5 Dublin promoted
6 Cork promoted
It's very interesting although in most cases 8/15 should be feasible.
More damage is likely to be done to d2 teams.

An Fhairche Abu

John Maughan writing Galway off for the year anyway, we should be ranked below Armagh and Derry in the National context. It was a "handy" All Ireland last year apparently.
His smug prediction after the Galway Offaly league game last year was completely inaccurate, so while I have a bit of trepidation about how we'll go after blowing what was a rare opportunity in a winnable final last year, I'm starting to feel better about 2023 already.

tonto1888

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 26, 2023, 02:44:04 PM
John Maughan writing Galway off for the year anyway, we should be ranked below Armagh and Derry in the National context. It was a "handy" All Ireland last year apparently.
His smug prediction after the Galway Offaly league game last year was completely inaccurate, so while I have a bit of trepidation about how we'll go after blowing what was a rare opportunity in a winnable final last year, I'm starting to feel better about 2023 already.

So it was a handy all Ireland, during which you beat both us and Derry yet are ranked below both? Makes sense I suppose haha

seafoid

Kerry and Dublin met in the semi last year.

Maughan was the first Connacht manager in 25 years or so to beat Kerry (or Dublin)  in an all Ireland semi.
This year the semi will be more challenging.

joemamas

Remember, for him to remain relevant, he has to make what would appear to be stupid/controversial comments, and then hope to get as many clicks as possible.
Pity the interviewer had not done the research that you have done and called him out on last years comments.
When I see him name next to a news story, I just ignore it.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on January 26, 2023, 03:29:01 PM

Maughan was the first Connacht manager in 25 years or so to beat Kerry (or Dublin)  in an all Ireland semi.

Galway will have to beat either Dublin or Kerry. Something they have not done in Knock-out championship in 57 years.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 26, 2023, 03:38:42 PM

Galway will have to beat either Dublin or Kerry. Something they have not done in Knock-out championship in 57 years.
Haven't beaten Mayo in a knock out championship game since 1998 either. Starting to feel fairly bad about things again.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 26, 2023, 03:38:42 PM

Something they have never done in Knock either

Manning18

Sent Kerry on the way home in 2018 but 'knOcK oUt' makes it invalid supposedly. A third of the panel beat Dublin in an All Ireland Final just over 2 years ago, something of far more relevance than stuff in the 70's and 80's id say

Manning18

Im enjoying this "handy run" stuff coming from a select few. Quite how i don't know. They had two draws, one sent them to play Mayo away and then Roscommon in Connacht, which is the hardest possible. The next, their 'reward' for winning Connacht was one of 3 options, being 7 points favorites against Cork or Clare or drawing Armagh in red hot form. Got Armagh. They literally played every good team in the competition (in 2022 terms) apart from Dublin

GalwayBayBoy

I don't think we'll have a particularly great league anyway. Between players unavailable for whatever reason especially in defence and we have quite a few involved in Sigerson as well. Just seems like there is a lot of competing interests at the moment and it looks a bit unsettled. Think they are a bit behind most teams as well in terms of work done apart from maybe Kerry. They have Kerry last up as well which will probably be a very different Kerry side to the one that will play the first half of the league. Get a few wins and stay up will be at aim I'd say and hopefully unearth a couple players in defence. They have to as they are down a couple of very good players back there and they won't be back this year.

I did see some of the Maughan interview alright. I could understand him saying listen Galway are down a few players so they might struggle to replace those players this year but it seemed a bit odd to landing us behind a few sides that they beat last year.

Manning18

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 26, 2023, 04:33:28 PM

I don't think we'll have a particularly great league anyway. Between players unavailable for whatever reason especially in defence and we have quite a few involved in Sigerson as well. Just seems like there is a lot of competing interests at the moment and it looks a bit unsettled. Think they are a bit behind most teams as well in terms of work done apart from maybe Kerry. They have Kerry last up as well which will probably be a very different Kerry side to the one that will play the first half of the league. Get a few wins and stay up will be at aim I'd say and hopefully unearth a couple players in defence. They have to as they are down a couple of very good players back there and they won't be back this year.

I did see some of the Maughan interview alright. I could understand him saying listen Galway are down a few players so they might struggle to replace those players this year but it seemed a bit odd to landing us behind a few sides that they beat last year.

A lot of distractions alright between injuries, club and a frankly ridiculous number playing sigerson. They don't look to have much work done compared with last year. However, that does apply to numerous teams in D1, with Donegal and Kerry riddled with injuries on top of some Donegal uncertainty, and talk of Monaghan and Roscommon having slightly slow preps also. I expect Galway to be solidly mid table, perhaps to the lower end, enough maybe to get by the ones above but not enough done to challenge Tyrone, Armagh and Mayo who'll all hit the ground running. Quite unlucky to have Kerry in the final game also when they'll almost certainly be back to normal, rather than early on

blanketattack

Quote from: Manning18 on January 26, 2023, 04:59:46 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 26, 2023, 04:33:28 PM

A lot of distractions alright between injuries, club and a frankly ridiculous number playing sigerson. They don't look to have much work done compared with last year. However, that does apply to numerous teams in D1, with Donegal and Kerry riddled with injuries on top of some Donegal uncertainty, and talk of Monaghan and Roscommon having slightly slow preps also. I expect Galway to be solidly mid table, perhaps to the lower end, enough maybe to get by the ones above but not enough done to challenge Tyrone, Armagh and Mayo who'll all hit the ground running. Quite unlucky to have Kerry in the final game also when they'll almost certainly be back to normal, rather than early on

Last year Tyrone benefitted by playing Kerry in the final game with it being a dead rubber for Kerry who played a weakened team in advance of the following week's League final.
I expect Kerry's final game to be a dead rubber for them this year also but in different circumstances - safe from relegation and a position in the league final out of reach.