NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2023, 07:43:01 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 23, 2023, 05:27:04 PM
Monaghan v Armagh live on BBC iplayer.

Which is fine if you live in the North. Will it work in Monaghan?
I'd say at least 80% of Monaghan is further north than Crossmaglen. Monaghan should really have been part of Shangri La but it didn't have enough Protestants.

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on January 23, 2023, 09:40:08 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2023, 07:43:01 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 23, 2023, 05:27:04 PM
Monaghan v Armagh live on BBC iplayer.

Which is fine if you live in the North. Will it work in Monaghan?
I'd say at least 80% of Monaghan is further north than Crossmaglen. Monaghan should really have been part of Shangri La but it didn't have enough Protestants.

It had more Protestants than Crossmaglen.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Partition was awful. Nobody was asked.
It didn't do much for Monaghan either, BBC notwithstanding.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Kerry in rough enough shape for the trip to Donegal. 5 max of All Ireland team available. Midfield very very thin with Diarmuid O'Connor out injured, Joe O'Connor gone for year with ACL and Moran retired. May be some young buck coming into the panel to cover with Okunbor possibly starting midfield but it's going to be experimental to a degree. I think once Kerry get back into the stride by game 2/3 and stay up without having any hosings that will have to be satisfactory.

2 Cliffords, Ryan, Murphy and others will be back around Rd 2 or 3. Mayo game in Castlebar would be one that's a target I'd imagine. Armagh and Throne then after that all in space of 15 days so that's a crucial 3 game period.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Rossfan

Best time to play Kerry is usually the first 2 Rounds .
We'll be struggling I fear as Davy B will have to integrate young skinny lads (S&C non existent here it seems) in each game.
Hopefully we are competitive and go down fighting as we get ready for the Sumner series.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on January 24, 2023, 10:30:50 AM
Best time to play Kerry is usually the first 2 Rounds .
We'll be struggling I fear as Davy B will have to integrate young skinny lads (S&C non existent here it seems) in each game.
Hopefully we are competitive and go down fighting as we get ready for the Sumner series.
I I dunno. I don't think the standard is particularly high this year. All 8 are guaranteed Sam Maguire.

Farrandeelin

While it's great to have proper inter-county action back again, I think this could (pending on the opening two matches) be a difficult league campaign for Mayo. If we win our two opening games - then great, it's 4 points on the board before Kerry and Tyrone make the trips to Castlebar. Lose one or both would probably leave us wondering how the other teams are going.

I'm not sure Mayo will go all out and win the league. McStay said that all players will get game time throughout the league campaign, so finding out strengths and identifying weaknesses I'm sure will be priorities. Especially taking into account the Roscommon game is the week after the league final if I'm correct. The loss of both Keegan and Mullin can't be overstated. I just hope the rest of our defenders are capable of holding their own with whoever they're marking.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

joemamas

Quote from: joemamas on January 18, 2023, 07:10:18 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 17, 2023, 04:09:57 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2023, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: joemamas on January 17, 2023, 03:21:56 PM
This is more of a Connacht/ AI series Q.
If Mayo/Galway/Roscommon finish in bottom two, does that mean the loser in the Connacht Cship between those teams does not qualify for the last 16, as two of them cannot reach the Connacht final.
I am not fully up,to,speed on the new championship format.
Either way it looks like being a very competitive league.
is it not the 8 provincial finalists, Westmeath as TC winners and then the next 7 teams by league ranking outside of those 9? Division 1 teams are safe enough.
Yes all of this year's Div 1 teams will be playing the last 16 of the championship.

Thank you for clarification.

Not sure this is correct.

From the Irish Examiner today

"Only the six best-placed Division 1 teams at the conclusion of the Allianz Football League round-robin stages on March 26 will be guaranteed Sam Maguire Cup places based on their league rankings.

The top team in each Sam Maguire Cup group progresses to an All-Ireland quarter-final where they will face one of the four teams who come through the preliminary quarter-finals, which pit second and third placed teams against each other.

I thought there were four teams in each Sam Maguire group, the above makes it sound like only three, if not seems like there will be additional games for teams who finish second and third.

weareros

Quote from: joemamas on January 25, 2023, 05:57:39 PM
If Mayo/Galway/Roscommon finish in bottom two, does that mean the loser in the Connacht Cship between those teams does not qualify for the last 16, as two of them cannot reach the Connacht final.
is it not the 8 provincial finalists, Westmeath as TC winners and then the next 7 teams by league ranking outside of those 9? Division 1 teams are safe enough.
Yes all of this year's Div 1 teams will be playing the last 16 of the championship.

"Only the six best-placed Division 1 teams at the conclusion of the Allianz Football League round-robin stages on March 26 will be guaranteed Sam Maguire Cup places based on their league rankings.

The top team in each Sam Maguire Cup group progresses to an All-Ireland quarter-final where they will face one of the four teams who come through the preliminary quarter-finals, which pit second and third placed teams against each other.

I thought there were four teams in each Sam Maguire group, the above makes it sound like only three, if not seems like there will be additional games for teams who finish second and third.

It's kinda correct in that the two promoted teams from Div 2 will have higher rank than the two demoted teams. From Wiki:

Sixteen teams progress to the All-Ireland Championship round-robin:

The 4 provincial champions
The 4 beaten provincial finalists
The 7 next-ranked teams, based on final position in the 2023 National Football League
Position is based on standing after promotion and relegation are applied; therefore, the top two teams in Division 2 outrank the bottom two teams in Division 1.
The 2022 Tailteann Cup winners (Westmeath)

J70

I was wondering about that.

Given that it is most likely that we will go down and NOT make the Ulster Final this year, and Roscommon are likely in the same boat in their situation, could we end up in the Tailteann Cup?

The good thing for us both is that the likes of Dublin and Derry are extremely good bets to at least make their provincial finals, as are a number of those who would likely finish above us in the league, so I'd say we should be all right when it comes to the seven next-best ranked league teams.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on January 25, 2023, 06:17:36 PM
I was wondering about that.

Given that it is most likely that we will go down and NOT make the Ulster Final this year, and Roscommon are likely in the same boat in their situation, could we end up in the Tailteann Cup?

The good thing for us both is that the likes of Dublin and Derry are extremely good bets to at least make their provincial finals, as are a number of those who would likely finish above us in the league, so I'd say we should be all right when it comes to the seven next-best ranked league teams.

You are in Dv 1, it is the lowest teams in Div 2 that have problems 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

You'd need 7 or 8 Div 3 and 4 teams to make the Provincial Finals ....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Sam Maguire after the provincial championships is 16 teams going into four groups of four.

It should contain all 8 Division 1 teams, the other 8 will include Westmeath, Connacht finalists (one of London, New York, Leitrim or Sligo) and more than likely the top 6 in Division 2

If Louth, Limerick get relegated (favourites to do so) and Cavan, Down promoted they would have to reach their provincial final to play in the Sam Maguire group stage.

seafoid

Quote from: weareros on January 25, 2023, 06:13:44 PM
Quote from: joemamas on January 25, 2023, 05:57:39 PM

It's kinda correct in that the two promoted teams from Div 2 will have higher rank than the two demoted teams. From Wiki:

Sixteen teams progress to the All-Ireland Championship round-robin:

The 4 provincial champions
The 4 beaten provincial finalists
The 7 next-ranked teams, based on final position in the 2023 National Football League
Position is based on standing after promotion and relegation are applied; therefore, the top two teams in Division 2 outrank the bottom two teams in Division 1.
The 2022 Tailteann Cup winners (Westmeath)
You would expect a considerable overlap between provincial finalists and D1 . The next 7 would mop up the rest, surely

galwayman

As expected it's been confirmed that Liam Silke won't play for Galway in 2023.
I can't overstate how big of a blow that is to our chances of doing anything this season.
He was absolutely outstanding in 2022.
And we essentially have no real marking corner backs left.
Molloy being out is a blow as well obviously but it's far easier to plug a gap in the half back line.