The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

shark

Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2020, 08:18:57 AM
Are all Leeds fans 50+?

I was in school with a handful, who would be late 30's now. But they all had older brothers who had indoctrinated them. Most Leeds fans in Ireland would be children of the late 60's I guess. I used to work with a lot of guys of that vintage from inner city Dublin who were/are obsessive Leeds fans. There is a pub in the Liberties (Baker's I think) that has a whole corner of the pub dedicated to Leeds.

From the Bunker

Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2020, 08:18:57 AM
Are all Leeds fans 50+?

There would be a few in their 30's+ from a successful ears Wilkinson circa 1992 and the O'Leary years 1998-2002

seafoid

Leeds have been very volatile over the last 40 years compared to say Tottenham who didn't win the League but stayed in the top division. Leeds came out of the second division to win in 92. They went down again and spent a long time down.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

One word for the madness of Leeds the last 2 decades - Ridsdale!

ziggy90

Congratulations to Leeds and their fans.
You'll be missed in the lower leagues.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

Lriverpool Uni academic Kieran Maguire estimates that Leeds' total budget over the 16 year exile from the PL was £458 million. This equatea to.less than a year's income for one of the big PL teams in 2018/19

Rufus T Firefly

Thanks to the non Leeds contributors here for the congratulations and a group e-hug for the regular Leeds' supporters!! There have been half a dozen or so regulars here over the years and a few more besides willing us on.

What a weekend that was!! The Barnsley game reflected the worries I had that the team might bottle a wonderful opportunity, but looking back at that game now, and indeed more besides, I think it showed that this season we have had one valuable commodity that has been missing in other seasons - luck!

When we moved on to Friday and Huddersfield produced a win against the odds - getting a winner despite coming under severe pressure - and then Brentford getting chinned by Stoke on Saturday to win us the league. Up to Saturday, Brentford were playing like an irresistible force - was it pressure that undone them, as they suddenly had their own destiny in their own hands? 

We then moved to Pride Park yesterday, where I have to say the team looked totally hungover and without a worry in the world, went down one nil and then cantered to a 3-1 victory with a team showing seven changes.

Sixteen years, and many of those years were dark in the extreme. The light is now shining brightly and my nephew - a 15 year old Chelsea fanatic - will hopefully soon see why anyone would support Leeds.

Leeds are back! MOT.   8)

lurganblue

Congrats to the Leeds men.  Long suffering.  Will be a great addition to the PL. 

seafoid

Daily Telegraph

"Marcelo Bielsa, whose humility and fierce work ethic have healed Leeds United. Typically, he spent the early part of the lockdown studying every goal scored from a set-piece in Europe's top five leagues this season and instructed his coaches to devise ways of exploiting their findings."

Main Street

I am more pleased for Marcelo Bielsa who is one of a kind and who has suffered the slings and arrows.
Maybe the covid pause also benefited  Leeds more, avoiding the 'Bielsa burnout' phase in the last third of the season.

SLIGONIAN

The last 16 years were tough, I have been to more games in league 1 than premiership.
Relegation x 2
Administration
10-point deduction
15-point deduction
Brink of liquidation
League one  x 3 seasons
Lost playoff final x 2
Lost play off semi x 2
Defeat to Histon
14th, 13th, 15th, 15th, 13th
Owners x 5
Managers x 19

And the only reason ever that crowds ever went down was to oust corrupt owners taking money out of the club. So drink every moment of the this last few days in Lads. We are Leeds United and we are back.

Premiership starts on Sept 12/13th happy f**king days MOT
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ONeill

Ye may have a word with Deportivo La Coruña. Dropped to third tier after some dizzy heights 15 yrs ago.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Billys Boots

Quote from: ONeill on July 21, 2020, 07:34:48 AM
Ye may have a word with Deportivo La Coruña. Dropped to third tier after some dizzy heights 15 yrs ago.

I remember Leeds beating them over two very tight legs in a Champions League quarter final in 2001 - how things change. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 21, 2020, 02:03:24 AM
The last 16 years were tough........

........We are Leeds United and we are back.

Great post, SLIGONIAN.