mouview

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 09:58:02 AM
Quote from: LooseCannon on November 05, 2019, 07:46:29 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 05, 2019, 07:10:57 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 05, 2019, 06:35:23 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2019, 03:48:02 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 04, 2019, 01:09:15 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 04, 2019, 12:29:54 PM
Armstrong is a complete ignoramus. Just cos she's the Alliance Chief Whip at Stormont, she thinks she owns the place. Completely up her own arse - a vindictive & nasty piece of work altogether.

Remember on Nolan once she was talking absolute shite about how the Republic still had a lot to do to become as liberal and progressive as the UK, funny I dont remember when the UK had a PM who was openly gay and non-white. Sure even Tony Blair didnt become a catholic until he was out of office for fear of the shit storm it would cause. Nope I cant stand her and I once voted Alliance but they seem to be annoying me more and more

Blair converting might have something to do with Catholics not allowed to be the British PM.

When and where did you make that one up?

A quick google should tell you that although the law is not fully explicit for PM there is something to it....

The law was only changed in the last couple of years methinks. Was the same for the line of succession to the throne (or whatever it's called) until around the same time.

They say it was changed recently. Maybe the anti-catholic stance has diminished (on the surface) in Britain, but the House of Lords has COE leaders only in it. No influence from Catholicism. The idea is that having Catholics around the place advising the government and royalty and pushing their Vatican dogma, we'll we couldn't have that, could we?

Anyway, I wouldn't be fooled by the removal of the Catholic monarch/PM thing. Britain from the top, is as still sectarian as anything you'd have seen at the time of Henry 8 or the setup of Guy Fawkes.

Duchess of Kent was received into the Catholic church in 1994. Both Jacob Rees Mogg and Ian Duncan Smith are Catholics.

BennyCake

Quote from: mouview on November 05, 2019, 12:16:05 PM
Armstrong is a complete ignoramus. Just cos she's the Alliance Chief Whip at Stormont, she thinks she owns the place. Completely up her own arse - a vindictive & nasty piece of work altogether.

Remember on Nolan once she was talking absolute shite about how the Republic still had a lot to do to become as liberal and progressive as the UK, funny I dont remember when the UK had a PM who was openly gay and non-white. Sure even Tony Blair didnt become a catholic until he was out of office for fear of the shit storm it would cause. Nope I cant stand her and I once voted Alliance but they seem to be annoying me more and more

Blair converting might have something to do with Catholics not allowed to be the British PM.

A quick google should tell you that although the law is not fully explicit for PM there is something to it....

The law was only changed in the last couple of years methinks. Was the same for the line of succession to the throne (or whatever it's called) until around the same time.

They say it was changed recently. Maybe the anti-catholic stance has diminished (on the surface) in Britain, but the House of Lords has COE leaders only in it. No influence from Catholicism. The idea is that having Catholics around the place advising the government and royalty and pushing their Vatican dogma, we'll we couldn't have that, could we?

Anyway, I wouldn't be fooled by the removal of the Catholic monarch/PM thing. Britain from the top, is as still sectarian as anything you'd have seen at the time of Henry 8 or the setup of Guy Fawkes.

Duchess of Kent was received into the Catholic church in 1994. Both Jacob Rees Mogg and Ian Duncan Smith are Catholics.

None of them are PM or monarch though.

mouview

JRM is very (too) influential and IDS was Tory leader for a number of years, so could have led the country.

trailer

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 12:21:25 PM

This is nonsense

Rossfan

That "Duchess" had to renounce any claim to the Monarchy even though she was about 40th in line for it.
ReesMogg and Duncan Smith are some examples of English Catholics!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2019, 01:03:46 PM
That "Duchess" had to renounce any claim to the Monarchy even though she was about 40th in line for it.
ReesMogg and Duncan Smith are some examples of English Catholics!!

I don't have much time for religion anymore but my impression is your average English anglican is to a Catholic what a pig is to a swine, feck all difference. They are a different breed to the fundamentalist crew we were saddled with up in the North.

yellowcard

The path is now clear for Clare Hanna in South Belfast and I think Pengelly is toast there now. If Alliance had stepped down in North Belfast I think Dodds would have been under some pressure there also. I wonder though might the UDA throwing their might behind the Dodds campaign backfire slightly on them. There will be soft unionists and middle of the road voters who would not countenance a vote for a candidate who has had a paramilitary organisation help ward off rival candidates from standing.

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on November 05, 2019, 12:47:48 PM

This is nonsense

Britain is a Protestant country from the top down. Nothing nonsense about it.

trailer

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 02:42:42 PM

This is nonsense

So you can't be a Catholic and PM. Is that what you are saying?

screenexile

One thing about this GE is it will give a good indication of where we are at for a border poll.

Unionists on an aggressive get out the vote campaign so should be interesting to see the results with them probably maximising their turnout!

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on November 05, 2019, 03:09:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 02:42:42 PM

This is nonsense

So you can't be a Catholic and PM. Is that what you are saying?

Well, it was the case. They might have tweaked that law, but still, Blair didn't convert until after he was British PM, so obviously there is still an issue with it.

The Q is head of the COE, and all things parliament has to be approved by her. Plus, no input from any but Protestant clerics in House of Lords says everything.

omaghjoe

Any word of reciprocal moves from Alliance in South Belfast/ North Down, couldn't see them doing it in NB TBF.

Would have thought the Green's would withdraw in North Down and East Belfast also.

Could Upper Bann be in play at all for a pact?

Or even South Antrim to help out UU they prob burnt that bridge by withdrawing from NB?

marty34

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 05, 2019, 03:53:51 PM
Any word of reciprocal moves from Alliance in South Belfast/ North Down, couldn't see them doing it in NB TBF.

Would have thought the Green's would withdraw in North Down and East Belfast also.

Could Upper Bann be in play at all for a pact?

Or even South Antrim to help out UU they prob burnt that bridge by withdrawing from NB?

Is Paula Bradshaw not standing in south Belfast?

screenexile

Think Alliance are contesting all seats except possible North Down but they haven't made a call on that yet.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: marty34 on November 05, 2019, 04:48:11 PM
Is Paula Bradshaw not standing in south Belfast?

Posters are up anyway...
i usse an speelchekor