Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on February 17, 2021, 09:47:07 AM
The NI Executive funds the shortfall. End of story. SF and Nicola Mallon should come out and make that point. No matter if it costs 200m it gets built.
Satire I assume? Its not immediately obvious

whitegoodman

Quote from: trailer on February 17, 2021, 09:47:07 AM
The NI Executive funds the shortfall. End of story. SF and Nicola Mallon should come out and make that point. No matter if it costs 200m it gets built.

Why would the NI executive pay for it if it cost £200m?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Disaster project-someone in GAA should have gone by now, absolute amateurism

Louther

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 17, 2021, 10:52:31 AM
Disaster project-someone in GAA should have gone by now, absolute amateurism

Very true. At private sector, heads be rolled long time ago.

I'm not even sure the current projected costs are realistic after the review in 2020 for any of these projects. Material prices are continuing to rise in recent months and Brexit of course not helping.

If a feasibility study was done now, I don't think the project would be any way viable. Even the business model of conferencing facilities etc will be questionable post covid.

Still some stadium has to be built with the funding that is available.

whitegoodman

At this stage would they not be safer giving the ground back to Antrim, use the government money to put in a new pitch and build two good covered stands and leave the terracing at either end.  You would probably end up with a  ground around 20,000 capacity which would hold ulster semi finals and possibly finals depending on counties involved.  If there is money left then spend it on Corrigan Park and other county grounds across the 6 counties.

If the GAA want to spend money down the line then use it to build a modern stand in Clones to replace the current covered stand.

Antrim have been well and truly shafted in all of this.

Rossfan

I think its time for some reality now.
Build what you can with the funds available.
Wouldn't a tidy Stadium with 1 main Stand of say 5k capacity plus terracing with 10 -15k capacity be more than sufficient?
Co Board offices, dressing rooms etc under the Stand.
Unlikely many big Ulster games will be played in the 6 Counties anyway with VAT plus there may be new Football Championship structures.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

WeeDonns

May have been covered in this thread before;
Why did Antrim/Ulster GAA board(s) close casement before planning was approved, finance was in place & construction was ready to begin?
That's scandalous - ok the place needed work, but it could have at least been maintained for Club games & national league without significant investment surely?
It almost looks like they made it unusable to put pressure on PlanningNi to pass it?

clarshack

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 17, 2021, 11:12:42 AM
At this stage would they not be safer giving the ground back to Antrim, use the government money to put in a new pitch and build two good covered stands and leave the terracing at either end.  You would probably end up with a  ground around 20,000 capacity which would hold ulster semi finals and possibly finals depending on counties involved.  If there is money left then spend it on Corrigan Park and other county grounds across the 6 counties.

If the GAA want to spend money down the line then use it to build a modern stand in Clones to replace the current covered stand.

Antrim have been well and truly shafted in all of this.

That's exactly what should happen now.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rossfan on February 17, 2021, 11:20:18 AM
Wouldn't a tidy Stadium with 1 main Stand of say 5k capacity plus terracing with 10 -15k capacity be more than sufficient?
Unlikely many big Ulster games will be played in the 6 Counties anyway with VAT plus there may be new Football Championship structures.

We have plenty of good stadiums lying empty for most of the year- so yeah to a point I agree, its a real pity that we didn't have the gumption to match IFA and RFU plans and strategy from the start, but for me at this stage I cant really understand the obsession with Casement, it was never easily accessed anyhow, we could have had the full deal somewhere else by now. Belfast is on the very far right of the province. We cant get some people within our own county to make the trip over the Glenshane without moaning. Bundoran or Cavan Town to West Belfast(with the torturous  traffic) isn't exactly handy.

RedHand88

Does have the motorways and airport links though. Though come to think if it, does anyone fly in for an ulster final?

You can complain about the traffic into west belfast but christ do people not remember what it was like getting into Clones on Ulster final day?

trailer

I cannot understand why we don't want to future proof stadia for our games. Build a 40k all seater. I'm happy to look at alternative locations and wasn't a fan of Casement site to begin with but the GAA needs a state of the art stadium in Ulster and the NI executive is to fund it. It is not our fault that the DUP scuppered the joint stadium idea. GAA is the largest sport in the north and should have a stadium worthy of that.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 17, 2021, 01:03:26 PM
Does have the motorways and airport links though. Though come to think if it, does anyone fly in for an ulster final?

You can complain about the traffic into west belfast but christ do people not remember what it was like getting into Clones on Ulster final day?

I don't think we have any motorways that go outside Antrim other than to Dungannon and Craigavon. Imagine that. West of the Bann is a real thing. It take me just short of 2 hours to get to Andersontown from Derry with very light traffic. Well over that getting out again at certain times of the day. Motorway stops at Randalstown.

Protestant state for protestant people and things haven't got much better on some fronts

Kickham csc

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 17, 2021, 11:44:08 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 17, 2021, 11:20:18 AM

We have plenty of good stadiums lying empty for most of the year- so yeah to a point I agree, its a real pity that we didn't have the gumption to match IFA and RFU plans and strategy from the start, but for me at this stage I cant really understand the obsession with Casement, it was never easily accessed anyhow, we could have had the full deal somewhere else by now. Belfast is on the very far right of the province. We cant get some people within our own county to make the trip over the Glenshane without moaning. Bundoran or Cavan Town to West Belfast(with the torturous  traffic) isn't exactly handy.

Belfast is on the far right of the province
Clones is on the far south of the province
and Omagh is on the far left of the province

That's the point. Ulster had this figured out in the 50's and 60's, where the Ulster final rotated between the three venues. Ulster needs a Munster solution where the finals can move about. Clones for northern half of Ulster is a bad location, so the vision for Casement is correct. The management of this has been an absolute disaster

armaghniac

Quote from: Kickham csc on February 19, 2021, 02:51:39 PM
That's the point. Ulster had this figured out in the 50's and 60's, where the Ulster final rotated between the three venues. Ulster needs a Munster solution where the finals can move about. Clones for northern half of Ulster is a bad location, so the vision for Casement is correct. The management of this has been an absolute disaster

It isn't a solution to have several enormous great stadiums only used every 4 or 5 years.
Belfast is not only offside in Ulster but offside in Ireland, there are few neutral games that it would suit.
However, a stadium in Belfast and an somewhat improved Clones for games that it suited would be OK, if they get it done.

An inflatable roof would be a game changer at Casement.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

clonadmad

Quote from: armaghniac on February 19, 2021, 03:59:27 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on February 19, 2021, 02:51:39 PM

It isn't a solution to have several enormous great stadiums only used every 4 or 5 years.
Belfast is not only offside in Ulster but offside in Ireland, there are few neutral games that it would suit.
However, a stadium in Belfast and an somewhat improved Clones for games that it suited would be OK, if they get it done.

An inflatable roof would be a game changer at Casement.

Complains about Stadia in Munster and then wants one with a retractable stadium in Belfast?

You need to go back and do your sums on that one