Laois U20 Championship

Started by The Monument Road, October 06, 2019, 11:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyBoucherJr

Dont know how true it is, so I cant clarify. Did they play with the divisional team? Dont know if they played with sarsfields either.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: BobbyBoucherJr on October 20, 2019, 07:46:38 PM
Dont know how true it is, so I cant clarify. Did they play with the divisional team? Dont know if they played with sarsfields either.

They played with the Divisional team anyway I know that.

ollie12

It's not right the lads 19 or 20 years of age that have an ambition to play with laois should have to choose which match to play. The players may feel this is one of only a handful of chances to impress the new management . They shouldn't have  to miss either a divisional match or a championship u20 match. Fixtures should  be made so players can play both.

Jd

I see that o Flynn came on in the divisional match and scored a goal. This after having a monster of a match earlier in u20 v port. I heard that three courtwood and an Emo chap went from the match in courtwood to the divisional match. For a lad not to tog for his club in championship isn't good enough play and just be part of the panel there will be plenty of evenings when they won't clash

Downtheroad

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 20, 2019, 07:44:22 PM
Quote from: BobbyBoucherJr on October 20, 2019, 07:32:43 PM
Ratheniska hammered sarsfields yesterday, apparently jack priestley and Sean O'Neill didnt play with sarsfields. They opted to play with the divisional side instead. U20 players shouldn't be selected for the divisional games while the u20 championship is on.
If this is true it is nothing short of a farce
True all right

Downtheroad

Quote from: Jd on October 20, 2019, 10:40:58 PM
I see that o Flynn came on in the divisional match and scored a goal. This after having a monster of a match earlier in u20 v port. I heard that three courtwood and an Emo chap went from the match in courtwood to the divisional match. For a lad not to tog for his club in championship isn't good enough play and just be part of the panel there will be plenty of evenings when they won't clash
The Clonaslee lads played in both as well.

High Fielder

It wasn't necessary to skip one for the other, or worse still, play in both. If they're good enough they will be seen and that was proven last year with O Flynn and others. You need to be pretty special to be called up to Senior when you're still underage, so they'd be better off sticking with Underage for as long as possible. There's plenty of time. Young lads tend to get itchy. The lure of the plane to America will be all that interests some of them next summer

ollie12

A club championship match should  always come first. The divisional matches were fixed for Saturday, then the u20 matches should not have been fixed for the same day. Play them Fri  or Sunday  or the following  weekend. Give the few u20 lads that asre trying to impress s fair crack at it.

Neutralobserver

Ratheniska hammered sarsfields yesterday, apparently jack priestley and Sean O'Neill didnt play with sarsfields. They opted to play with the divisional side instead. U20 players shouldn't be selected for the divisional games while the u20 championship is on.
from the start i said this divisional set up was a farce and of no advantage to anyone only the few pound it raises for charity

High Fielder

Nothing wrong with the Divisional Championship at all. I agree with a poster above that the U20's shouldn't be there in the first place. Any lad who misses a club match for a shot at Senior football is naive to say the least. But blaming the Divisional Championship is putting the cart before the horse

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Neutralobserver on October 21, 2019, 10:00:59 AM
from the start i said this divisional set up was a farce and of no advantage to anyone only the few pound it raises for charity

How is the divisional set up a farce when lads would rather play in it than with their own clubs? There seems to be huge interest from the players in the county. Might be a few things to iron out but if people want to make it work it could open the door to stronger club football in Laois. For example, a Clough Ballacolla footballer managed to score a couple of goals in a senior match. How often would you hear that with our 'traditional' structures.

SCFC

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 21, 2019, 10:27:20 AM
Quote from: Neutralobserver on October 21, 2019, 10:00:59 AM

How is the divisional set up a farce when lads would rather play in it than with their own clubs? There seems to be huge interest from the players in the county. Might be a few things to iron out but if people want to make it work it could open the door to stronger club football in Laois. For example, a Clough Ballacolla footballer managed to score a couple of goals in a senior match. How often would you hear that with our 'traditional' structures.
He plays his football with The Heath to be fair.
Surely confining the divisional championships to players over 20 makes the most sense. Most of them young lads have enough football to be kicking with Sigerson, county and club under 20.

blueandwhite1

Don't disagree at all with limiting to players over 20. Was just reacting to the comment that the divisional set up overall was a farce and no advantage to anyone except charity. Although some clubs will always be against divisional teams (normally stronger clubs), they are typically better for a county overall.

Good article and debate here in the Examiner:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/corks-divisional-debate-time-for-change-or-maintain-the-status-quo-892234.html

High Fielder

Some of these young lads are getting ahead of themselves. This isn't the Underdogs FFS. Bide your time and contribute to what is hopefully going to be a good U20 team. We're too small a county for good lads to go unnoticed. I'd think more of the lad who is loyal and committed to a small set up than the glory hunter who goes looking for the bright lights. You have to prove yourself worthy

Neutralobserver

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 21, 2019, 11:11:21 AM
Don't disagree at all with limiting to players over 20. Was just reacting to the comment that the divisional set up overall was a farce and no advantage to anyone except charity. Although some clubs will always be against divisional teams (normally stronger clubs), they are typically better for a county overall.

Good article and debate here in the Examiner:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/corks-divisional-debate-time-for-change-or-maintain-the-status-quo-892234.html
i would not be against a divisional team in a proper championship but what is a player going to prove in a meaningless divisional game at the end of a long season that he has not already done to be noticed for his club in a championship? if a player is good enough to be selected on a laois senior panel he will stand out in championship games where it really counts.