Winter Olympics 2018

Started by laoislad, February 12, 2018, 09:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 20, 2018, 11:57:35 AM
Was listening to 2FM on the way to work this morning and they were on about an "Irish" competitor in the half pipe skiing called Brendan "Bubba" Newby. They played audio of him and it was kind of stereotypical stoner/skateboarder stuff......he was "stoked" and "fired up to ride the pipe"....that kind of thing. It being Breakfast Republic I assumed it was a wind up. Imagine my surprise to open the42 app and see Mr Newby there in all his glory.....seems it's true.

I suppose if Andy Townsend can play for the Republic, we shouldn't be surprised that there's a fair few Irish Americans entitled to represent Ireland in the Olympics. Sure how bad.

screenexile

The story of the American woman who was able to participate in the half pipe was astonishing!

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on February 20, 2018, 12:15:25 PM
The story of the American woman who was able to participate in the half pipe was astonishing!
You talking about the one that competed for Hungary?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 20, 2018, 12:14:36 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 20, 2018, 11:57:35 AM
Was listening to 2FM on the way to work this morning and they were on about an "Irish" competitor in the half pipe skiing called Brendan "Bubba" Newby. They played audio of him and it was kind of stereotypical stoner/skateboarder stuff......he was "stoked" and "fired up to ride the pipe"....that kind of thing. It being Breakfast Republic I assumed it was a wind up. Imagine my surprise to open the42 app and see Mr Newby there in all his glory.....seems it's true.

I suppose if Andy Townsend can play for the Republic, we shouldn't be surprised that there's a fair few Irish Americans entitled to represent Ireland in the Olympics. Sure how bad.

No - I've no issue with it. I was just completely convinced by the guys comments that it was a joke. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Harold Disgracey

At least Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley, 14th Baronet, 6th Baron Wrottesley was born in Ireland. I assume his 4th place in the skeleton is Ireland's best result at the Winter Olympics?

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on February 20, 2018, 11:05:38 AM
Jaysus you have to feel for the girl!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43124775

Really? I feel much, much more for the other skaters she keeps wiping out.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 20, 2018, 02:04:58 PM
At least Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley, 14th Baronet, 6th Baron Wrottesley was born in Ireland. I assume his 4th place in the skeleton is Ireland's best result at the Winter Olympics?

Must be a terror writing your signature if you're that chap. Writers cramp.

gallsman

That was brilliant viewing because of the American commentary team acting as if there was nothing wrong with her run at all.

screenexile

Quote from: laoislad on February 20, 2018, 12:53:52 PM
You talking about the one that competed for Hungary?

Sorry yeah that's the one. . . Just like "f**k you all I'm going to the Olympics" How would you even conceive an idea like that?

The story is here for anyone who doesn't know what i'm on about:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43123398

David McKeown

I'm the same. Love live sport. Have to say I really struggle with sports where the winning conditions are purely subjective though. So not as fussed on figure skating etc as I am on curling or speed skating.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

macdanger2

The ski cross is a great watch

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

Ragnhild Mowinkel came second in the downhill ski. What an unforgettable name .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lurganblue

Quote from: gallsman on February 20, 2018, 02:08:19 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 20, 2018, 11:05:38 AM
Jaysus you have to feel for the girl!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43124775

Really? I feel much, much more for the other skaters she keeps wiping out.

She says she doesnt know why she got a yellow card? Well i know f*ck all about her sport but can see clearly that she impeded a fellow athlete

screenexile

Quote from: theskull1 on February 22, 2018, 08:09:56 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 21, 2018, 11:15:59 PM
The ski cross is a great watch
+1

An absolute quality sport both ski and board cross.

The BMX at the summer games just hasn't the same potential for a wipeout in it!