China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: theskull1 on February 16, 2022, 06:38:07 PM
How the CDC Abandoned Science | My Article in Tablet Magazine
Vinay Prasad, MD MPH; Physician & Associate Professor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C6524soTnA&t=632s

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/science/articles/how-the-cdc-abandoned-science

QuoteUltimately, science is not a political sport. It is a method to ascertain truth in a chaotic, uncertain universe. Science itself is transcendent, and will outlast our current challenges no matter what we choose to believe. But the more it becomes subordinate to politics—the more it becomes a slogan rather than a method of discovery and understanding—the more impoverished we all become. The next decade will be critical as we face an increasingly existential question: Is science autonomous and sacred, or a branch of politics? I hope we choose wisely, but I fear the die is already cast.

Our typically Irish blind faith, "it takes a priest to say mass" attitude is not healthy and ultimately makes us vulnerable to all sorts of manipulation.

PadraicHenryPearse

I half read the article and found he was doing similar to what he accused the CDC of doing and was cherry picking different aspect of the Swedish,  Canadian and UK approach to make counter points.

I also find it is typically people right of center on the political spectrum that try to mix politics with medical science...

I haven't researched enough into the mask wearing but what I do know is that it is very hard to conduct an analysis outside of the lab when you have to consider a number of factors including people behaviours and it appears that the CDC have similar opinions on mask wearing to most of the world...

I would want a heart surgeon to do heart surgery, I wouldn't want a podiatrist to do it and that has nothing to do with being irish or blind faith. We have come a long way from being preached to from pulpit regardless of what form the pulpit takes.

Last Man

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on February 17, 2022, 12:59:18 PM
I half read the article and found he was doing similar to what he accused the CDC of doing and was cherry picking different aspect of the Swedish,  Canadian and UK approach to make counter points.

I also find it is typically people right of center on the political spectrum that try to mix politics with medical science...

I haven't researched enough into the mask wearing but what I do know is that it is very hard to conduct an analysis outside of the lab when you have to consider a number of factors including people behaviours and it appears that the CDC have similar opinions on mask wearing to most of the world...

I would want a heart surgeon to do heart surgery, I wouldn't want a podiatrist to do it and that has nothing to do with being irish or blind faith. We have come a long way from being preached to from pulpit regardless of what form the pulpit takes.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Last Man on February 17, 2022, 01:06:21 PM

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

should I take from that you don't agree with my opinion?

Keyser soze

Quote from: Last Man on February 17, 2022, 08:02:22 AM

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/science/articles/how-the-cdc-abandoned-science

QuoteUltimately, science is not a political sport. It is a method to ascertain truth in a chaotic, uncertain universe. Science itself is transcendent, and will outlast our current challenges no matter what we choose to believe. But the more it becomes subordinate to politics—the more it becomes a slogan rather than a method of discovery and understanding—the more impoverished we all become. The next decade will be critical as we face an increasingly existential question: Is science autonomous and sacred, or a branch of politics? I hope we choose wisely, but I fear the die is already cast.

Our typically Irish blind faith, "it takes a priest to say mass" attitude is not healthy and ultimately makes us vulnerable to all sorts of manipulation.

You surely are a windup merchant. Basing your opinions on some dogshit you've read on the internet and then preaching about being vulnerable to manipulation. 

JoG2

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 17, 2022, 01:19:39 PM

You surely are a windup merchant. Basing your opinions on some dogshit you've read on the internet and then preaching about being vulnerable to manipulation.

Is there a vaccine for paranoia? The stuff folk believe these days is absolutely bonkers

J70

I think its valid that policy and science should be separated as much as possible, but we're not talking about research into the geology of an asteroid or something similarly remote from everyday life. Science and policy intersect in many fields, few more than public health. And public health policy should err on the side of caution in the direction of reducing disease.

I found her analysis of the graph on the mask mandates in Kansas a bit strange. Maybe I misunderstood, but that graph clearly showed reduced cases among counties where masks were mandated. Yes, the effect was relatively modest and the overall trend was the same, but the case numbers were consistently lower where mandates were implemented. No one ever said masking alone was the answer, but it is part of the answer.

And if the use of loose-fitting masks as source control is controversial, then why the hell have medical professionals, all the way up to surgeons in the OR, been masking up all these years?

grounded

Bless me father, for i have sinned, it has been 3 months since my last vaccination.

Last Man

Quote from: JoG2 on February 17, 2022, 01:28:08 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on February 17, 2022, 01:19:39 PM

Is there a vaccine for paranoia? The stuff folk believe these days is absolutely bonkers
Fair enough, but what's your take on the NHS nutritional guidelines of the last 40 years and their influence on the general population health, and while we are at it what are your thoughts on the medication budget for the NHS, the annual spend that is.

armaghniac

Far from having a PhD, you'd need to be thick as a plank not to realise that a mask will stop your snot going all over the place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Last Man

Sure it floats in the air like the black stuff in the adverts. If it was snotborne the masks probably would work.

Milltown Row2

Was talking to an ex gp the other day,his daughter practicing gp son a medical consultant, they said that the mask and sanitation has reduced flu (as it would on basic terms) and feels it would be good to help the nhs going forward to bring it in during the 'flu' season
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

One thing I really hope the Covid era will leave a lasting legacy on is the end of people coming into work sick as a dog and polluting their colleagues. I'd also probably continue to wear masks during winter months off my own bat tbh, Most Winter's I would have spent a lot of time holding my breath in shop queues to avoid snottery/ bug laden shoppers, so mask wearing would be a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

armaghniac

Shops are one thing, I always tended to avoid busy shopping periods anyway, except t perhaps at Christmas. But public transport is the thing, they want everyone to use it and they pack people in like sardines and while aeroplanes have hi tech ventilation trains and buses do not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B