China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on January 06, 2022, 05:57:58 PM
Unvaxxed make up more than half the proportion in ROI ICU, although they are only about 5% of the population.

Antivax probabilities of contracting Covid are over 10x those of vaccinated. Once infected they are far more likely to end up in ICU.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/johnny-watterson-lateral-flow-of-time-will-expose-djokovic-s-anti-vaxxer-crusade-1.4770513

The US in November reported around 33,000 Covid-19 deaths with estimates that 29,100 of them were among unvaccinated adults.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 06, 2022, 11:43:33 PM
I wonder how many guys got the flu jab on here before covid ever came out. I been getting it for yrs and understand that it reduced the risk of a severe dose of flu, not guarantee I wouldn't get it, which I did once. Covid is a more contingous form of the flu, meaning even if jabbed there still a fair chance of getting it. Vaccination about risk management and trying to reduce the outcome of many elderly or persons in poor health getting Covid. I can't understand the resistant to getting a jab to try help your parents/ grandparents or those at risk. If it was a airborne version of ebola and their was a vaccination against such, they be lining up.

No never got the flu jab, son got it some years due to asthma, but I was that unaware  until recently that it was open to everyone. I thought you had to get letter from doctor(like son) to get it

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 06, 2022, 03:35:18 PM
Quote from: Franko on January 06, 2022, 01:32:03 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 01, 2022, 10:38:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 01, 2022, 09:30:30 PM
Why bother getting one vaccine or even two? The booster isn't going to produce another head!

Because the  double vaccine clearly at this stage has worked against a seemingly more dangerous variant. Omicron doesn't seem as serious but that may change.
The booster doesn't seem to be needed if we look at the early data to keep you out of hospital. Nobody in their right mind would just take a vaccine just fir the sake of it.  If things change I'll get it. But for now I'm happy with 2jabs and immunity from my last infection.
Think that's reasonable and sensible. I'm very aware of pressure on NHS staff as priority atm.

Change things any?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59840524

It's a positive (excuse the pun), but hospitalisations from omricon isn't main issue, it's general transmission and subsequent absenteeism and booster doesn't seem to be stopping that at all.

Nonsense.  If there was no issue with hospitalisations, there wouldn't be any absenteeism.

Hospitalisations is pretty much the ONLY issue with Omicron.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Franko on January 07, 2022, 08:26:05 AM
Why bother getting one vaccine or even two? The booster isn't going to produce another head!

Because the  double vaccine clearly at this stage has worked against a seemingly more dangerous variant. Omicron doesn't seem as serious but that may change.
The booster doesn't seem to be needed if we look at the early data to keep you out of hospital. Nobody in their right mind would just take a vaccine just fir the sake of it.  If things change I'll get it. But for now I'm happy with 2jabs and immunity from my last infection.
Think that's reasonable and sensible. I'm very aware of pressure on NHS staff as priority atm.

Change things any?

It's a positive (excuse the pun), but hospitalisations from omricon isn't main issue, it's general transmission and subsequent absenteeism and booster doesn't seem to be stopping that at all.

Nonsense.  If there was no issue with hospitalisations, there wouldn't be any absenteeism.

This cant be a serious post?

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2022, 08:28:54 AM

Change things any?

100% serious.

The only reason there is absenteeism is due to the mandatory isolation period when infected/close contact.

The reason there is a mandatory isolation period is to reduce transmission in order to stop hospitals being overwhelmed.

For most, Omicron is a mild head cold and were it not for the need to reduce hospitalisations, most people would be at work with is.

Except for Derry City bluffers.

Franko

To add to that...

IF those figures are correct, being boosted reduces the numbers going to hospital with Omicron by 88%.

So with that, I'd venture that if the everyone had their booster, we would be very close to returning things to normal.

Hound

People with omicron should not be in work. 

I think the point that if we get to a stage where we are not worried about hospitalizations and only worried about absenteeism, we'd be in a completely different space. Absenteeism is not unimportant given the potential economic effects it can have, but just not in the same ballpark that we've been in the last 20 months or so.

But at this stage, hospitalizations is still by far the biggest issue. There are less % omicron patients in hospital than delta, but still some are (particularly unvaxxed) and it is far more transmissable. If it was half as likely to result in hospitalizations but twice as transmissable, you wouldn't see much change, but hopefully the figures will turn out to be better than that. 

Armagh18

Change things any?

Doesnt seem to be that many getting sick with omnicron now so I'd say the bigger issue is healthy people/people with a slight cold having to stay off work both in healthcare and across the board thats the issue

Franko

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 07, 2022, 09:02:31 AM

Change things any?

Doesnt seem to be that many getting sick with omnicron now so I'd say the bigger issue is healthy people/people with a slight cold having to stay off work both in healthcare and across the board thats the issue

And why are they having to stay off work?

seafoid

Record day total but only 90 in ICU. Omicron is the Arsenal of  Covid

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Franko on January 07, 2022, 08:49:16 AM

Change things any?

100% serious.

The only reason there is absenteeism is due to the mandatory isolation period when infected/close contact.

The reason there is a mandatory isolation period is to reduce transmission in order to stop hospitals being overwhelmed.

For most, Omicron is a mild head cold and were it not for the need to reduce hospitalisations, most people would be at work with is.

Really?
BTW you have  talked yourself into a corner there. Get your booster, I have no issue with that at all. I wont be getting mines at the minute because I don't feel the need based on all the facts that have been presented to me. I don't get angsty about it and totally agree that it is a very good thing for certain people. I imagine we will need an annual vaccination and I am prepared to wait for that again.

JoG2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2022, 09:20:46 AM

Change things any?

100% serious.

Really?
BTW you have  talked yourself into a corner there. Get your booster, I have no issue with that at all. I wont be getting mines at the minute because I don't feel the need based on all the facts that have been presented to me. I don't get angsty about it and totally agree that it is a very good thing for certain people. I imagine we will need an annual vaccination and I am prepared to wait for that again.

Bluffer City

Fear, this was posted a couple of pages back

Hospitals are running at well over 100% capacity atm with hundreds awaiting admission for various ailments. It's a no brainer. Individual v the collective.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JoG2 on January 07, 2022, 09:40:02 AM

Change things any?

100% serious.

Really?

Bluffer City

Hospitals are running at well over 100% capacity atm with hundreds awaiting admission for various ailments. It's a no brainer. Individual v the collective.

Thanks JOG2, a man that i do listen do tbh, lol ease off on that bluffer stuff for jesus sake though,pick on Strabane or something

JoG2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2022, 10:12:01 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 07, 2022, 09:40:02 AM

Change things any?

100% serious.

Really?

Bluffer City

Thanks JOG2, a man that i do listen do tbh, lol ease off on that bluffer stuff for jesus sake though,pick on Strabane or something

;D You hear about the Strabane man who got 2 dole cheques?